Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things That Have Annoyed You In The Games

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Beach volleyball.
    One of my favourite events.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    It's so inferior to proper volleyball it's not even funny.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    any particular reasons
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    It's so inferior to proper volleyball it's not even funny.
    i dont think he was referring to the actual sport or standard of play....

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    i dont think he was referring to the actual sport or standard of play....
    Which is why it is annoys me so much...go buy Playboy if you want that kind of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    thats the one

Sportal
    "The Athens Olympics finished with a security scare that possibly denied a marathon runner victory, as British serial pest and religious zealot Neil Horan ran onto the road toward the end of the race and tackled the leader.

Horan made a nuisance of himself at last year's British Formula One Grand Prix by running onto the track at Silverstone and also attempted to disrupt this year's London Marathon."
    The sooner this guy is thrown into the nut job house and have the key chucked away the better.

If I was in that situation, I would teach him a lesson or two for doing such an idiotic thing (all people who disrupt sporting events by running onto the track/pitch etc. are idiots).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    some people cant be helped, hes a perfect example of this.....

Hey, hey, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 'non-sport' percs of watching beach volleyball, but the main reason I liked it was (believe it or not) the game itself. I saw Pottharst and Cook play a few years ago and have been a fan of the game ever since. It is a different game to court volleyball and involves more desperation and diving. Also the fact that Australia is competitive in this sport and that I can walk down to the beach and play (unlike court volleyball) are other main reasons.

Fair enough, I suppose - that it is fun to play. But to me, it's a bit like preferring ODI to Test cricket because you only have time to play 20 over cricket normally. Attacking is very easy, due to the fact that there is only two players on each side, so the defenders can't catch it easy enough and plays become extremely short (hardly ever is the ball more than twice on each side). Beach volleyball is invaded by players who aren't really good enough to play court volleyball (case in point: Norway have two reasonably good sides in beach - and are hardly in the top hundred in the world in court - also, the fastest services in beach are around 105 kph, court volleyball reaches 115 without any wind to help).

I can agree that it must be much more fun to play, though

Sportal
    "The Athens Olympics finished with a security scare that possibly denied a marathon runner victory, as British serial pest and religious zealot Neil Horan ran onto the road toward the end of the race and tackled the leader.

Horan made a nuisance of himself at last year's British Formula One Grand Prix by running onto the track at Silverstone and also attempted to disrupt this year's London Marathon."
    When I woke up in the morning and heard all about it, it seemed strangely familiar. I wasn't sure if something similar had happened before or it was just because I was tired. Now I know that it was in fact that strange fella again.

Fair enough, I suppose - that it is fun to play. But to me, it's a bit like preferring ODI to Test cricket because you only have time to play 20 over cricket normally. Attacking is very easy, due to the fact that there is only two players on each side, so the defenders can't catch it easy enough and plays become extremely short (hardly ever is the ball more than twice on each side). Beach volleyball is invaded by players who aren't really good enough to play court volleyball (case in point: Norway have two reasonably good sides in beach - and are hardly in the top hundred in the world in court - also, the fastest services in beach are around 105 kph, court volleyball reaches 115 without any wind to help).

I can agree that it must be much more fun to play, though
    Yep, the standard of play in volleyball is much higher and the plays tend to be longer. Like you, most people tend to really enjoy the beach version though

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master

A shame the goonsack didnt get run over...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    He showed true Olympic spirit IMO (unlike some people prior to the Games, and actually at the games...)

However, the reports I've read suggest that he was being rapidly caught by the Italian and was unlikely to take Gold anyway!

Your probably right...I watched it and the Italian and American were closing fairly quickly.

That said, it probably cost him at least 20 seconds, broke his rythym, shook his confidence and was just a physical strain he didn't need when his body was already pushed to it's limit.

As things were going, the chase probably would have caught him ~2 KM from the finish line, rather than ~5Km out...it's a lot easier to convince yourself to push yourself harder when the line is in sight, so he probably could have upped his own pace a bit and gotten even closer..

I suspect the Italian would have got him anyway, but he may well have held on for silver ( the American was struggling at the end ). The point however is that we'll never know, which is the greatest shame of the whole thing.

Yes, rythm is incredibly important in the marathon. The fact that he held on for bronze was some consolation though.

Pinball Champion!
    Call me a cynic, but thats the kind of stuff that sums up the games for me..

The crowning glory of the greatest sporting event of all time, the mens marathon, at Athens, home of the olympic spirit... And some Irish pr**k assaults the leader near the finish.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information