• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Boxer gets ripped...

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
He hardly touched me, says Forsyth the fallen
By Roy Masters
August 24, 2004

Australian heavyweight Adam Forsyth blamed an international conspiracy for his 27-12 points decision loss to Egypt's Mohamed Elsayed last night in Athens.

The Australian management also claimed to have heard rumours before the fight that the five judges would favour the Egyptian under boxing's subjective scoring system where points are acquired when a majority of judges press a computer key almost simultaneously.

"We knew it was going to be hard beating the politics in the sport," Forsyth said. "You've got to fight not only the boxer but the judges as well."

The major mystery was where 39 scoring punches originated. That is because Forsyth's mobility is such that he is better suited to fighting in a telephone booth and the Egyptian's left arm was frozen at his side.

Still, Australian flyweight Bradley Hore was incredulous when the Herald communicated the scores to him at the end of each round via mobile phone call.

Only the media have access to scores inside the Peristeri hall in Athens and Hore passed the results on, via hand signal, to Forsyth's corner.

Hore sounded surprised when told the 8-2 count at the end of round one but was incredulous at round two's 13-4 score.

The travesty continued with 23-9 and finally 27-12.

The crowd agreed with Hore, booing loudly in the only protest witnessed at the stadium since the Greek heavyweight lost an earlier decision.

Forsyth said: "I wasn't the only one who thought I'd won.

"You know something is going on when you walk out and everyone is saying you should have won it." Australian manager Ron Pengelly said: "You hear things".

But it's difficult to see why judges from France, Canada, India, Lesotho and Poland would favour Egypt.

Still, Elsayed seemed confident he could beat Forsyth with one hand tied behind his back. In effect, it was.

Maybe his left arm was injured, but his attack was confined to jabbing out a right which faded like a sick flower.

He then retreated round the ring with dizzying speed. He appeared convinced of his victory, finally finding use for his left arm, raising it above his head and blowing kisses to the crowd.

Perhaps the man from the Cairo sports desk had also passed on the scores by mobile phone. Forsyth said: "I don't know where he got 27 points from. He only hit me once in the last round."

Standing up between rounds, Forsyth launched a fusillade to the head in the last one, with only four making contact, according to the judges.

Afterwards, Forsyth, nicknamed "Silverback" because of the silver streaks he puts in his hair, was unmarked and appeared as if he had just stepped from a shower.

"He only hit me a few clean shots," the 23-year-old said.

Although it was a fight marred by excessive grasping and too much flailing, the final score was so violently in contempt of plausibility that it is just another deck chair on the Titanic of Olympic boxing.

But equally implausible was the Australian reaction to the result.

"I would have reversed the points completely," Hore said.

"It's as if someone read the scores upside down." When pressed on how many times he hit Elsayed, Forsyth said: "I hit him a few times."

Forsyth joined American Devin Vargas, leaving only Belarus's Viktar Zuyev, to represent the Great White Hopeless.

The reality is the heavyweight division in Athens will be a cakewalk for the majestic Cuban, Odlanier Solis Fonte.
Did anyone see this match on the dream? I thought the score was a send up until half way through the highlights....absolute joke.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
When you hear the crowd booing and those British commentators saying blatently its wrong, you do have to wonder.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
When you hear the crowd booing and those British commentators saying blatently its wrong, you do have to wonder.
THe scoring for the Olympics is an absolute joke. An Aussie guy in earlier bouts knocked a guy down twice and gave him a good dusting over and lost by a point. Surely a knockdown has to be worth more than a punch to the ribs.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
A Joke, simply a joke. Too many dodgy decisions in the boxing event these olympics. Heartbreaking to those on the wrong side of them.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
any sport that is decided on "judges decisions" arent worthy IMO. Boxing, diving, gymnastics etc.... i dont like the idea of people losing because of things like that, i mean is dodgey in diving when the scores go 8, 8.5, 8.5, 9, 4.5, 8, 8.5
u know somethings not right :huh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They do seem rather incompetent, don't they?

I'll know that if Amir Khan doesn't take Gold than something's definitely up - he *is* good.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
They do seem rather incompetent, don't they?

I'll know that if Amir Khan doesn't take Gold than something's definitely up - he *is* good.
Not necessarily. He'll probably have to get past Mario Kindelan, the Cuban defending champion who hasn't lost in competition for - I think - 5 years.

Annoyingly, because I'm a big boxing fan and love to watch the Cubans, I've not managed to catch Kindelan either in Sydney or in these Games. Even more annoyingly I'll miss the final because I'm going to the Leeds Festival on Sunday.

Still, I agree Kindelan will have to be very, very good to beat Amir.