• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The attendance numbers

Craig

World Traveller
Is it me or have the lack of crowds at the Olympics been a farce especially in the football after Greece won Euro 2004.

Maybe it is because of the completion of work has just finished or people are scared of terrorism? In sydney people went into a lottery to get tickets.

If I could have afforded it I would definatly of gone over and tried to snap as many tickets as possible for whatever events. The downside would be the killer accomodation prices.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
The crowds have been terrible...i know they had trouble selling tickets in the lead up to the games but damn...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh shocking crowds, i heard yesterday 2 million people that ive in athens took holidays out of the city during the games!
I guess terrorisim is paying a role too, but i was expecting bigger crowds that this, did anyone see the rowing the other day, there was NO ONE there.....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've actually had some pretty good crowds for the basketball. The Greece v Australia game in the mens had a full stadium.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The worst has been the Rowing, you see them going down the course with the grandstand on the far side totally empty...

Its terrible... Even the swimming is bad and in sydney they were impossible to get tickets to...

Simon

the greek people are a disgrace, why wouldnt they want to go to events!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I dont understand how a once in a lifetime event (in your own country) can not be filled to capacity!

ash chaulk

International Captain
Craig are you a news reporter or something because i just watched the news and this topic came up.

5million tickets only 3 million were sold.

i guess there waiting for athletics. Or the tickets are very expensive cos there were a few people out on the womens road race.

_Ed_

The crowds have been awful, I suppose not having a roof at the swimming complex doesn't help for that event because people may prefer to not spend all day sitting in direct sunlight, but there are no excuses for the empty seats in the indoor events.

Simon

ash chaulk said:
Craig are you a news reporter or something because i just watched the news and this topic came up.

5million tickets only 3 million were sold.

i guess there waiting for athletics. Or the tickets are very expensive cos there were a few people out on the womens road race.
or greek people just dont want to go, im still baffled that crowds are SO low...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Apparently 90%+ of the tickets sold were bought by Greeks. It seems that the internationally, tickets haven't sold well at all, probably due to the fact that the media made such a big deal out of the 'Athens shambles', and fear of terrorism. I wouldn't blame the Greeks if people aren't supporting their games.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Big Dog and Fat Cat with courtside seats?

You can't really blame the internationals for staying away...the event is held in Greece so atleast half the fans should come from there...