• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Men's football competition

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Portgual wouldn't surprise me.

I just find it hilarious that Ronaldo and Heinze have been selected and Fergie is moaning so much about it.

Cloete

International Captain
ash chaulk said:
yeah simon where sendin Tim CahiLL
Yeah a very handy team. Some of the players include:

- Shane Cansdell Sheriff (He was at Leeds for a while)
- Brett Holman
- Jade North
- Luke Wilkshire

Then Cahill, Moore and Aloisi are the trhee overage players. I'd be interested to see some of the other countries overage players, see if any "stars" were picked!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the funny thing about this is that Ronaldo (the real one) said he would make himself available for the olympics to try and help brazil finally win gold there and then the nuffies they picked for qualifying bombed out and they didnt even make it!

Craig Moore playing is good for Aus, holds out defence together well, argentina in our group will be tough, but i think we can go very well....

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Portgual wouldn't surprise me.

I just find it hilarious that Ronaldo and Heinze have been selected and Fergie is moaning so much about it.
Well wouldn't you if your new recruit has been picked for a squad and will miss CL Qualifyers and the start of the Premiership?

And for Ronaldo, since we know he is one of the best young talents in Europe, you can understand why Fergie is trying to rest him so he doesn't burn out.

Something Wayne Rooney may suffer from in the next five or six years if he isn't looked after properly and end up like Michael Owen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why should he moan - it's the same as the managers with Africans in their side who complain when they get called up for their home nation.

They knew the score beforehand, so can have no complaint.

Craig

World Traveller
So would you say such a thing if Coventry were a top flight club and in a similar situation, and Peter Reid went and had a winge to the press about it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes I would, because when you sign the player you know the baggage attached (when it is something like that)

The only club I did feel sorry for was Spurs with Kanouté, because that was a different scenario.

Simon

i agree with marc, international call ups are bound to happen, and if the managers cant deal with it then they should learn to...

Craig

World Traveller
I don't think it is international call-ups is what Fergie is really upset about it, it is because he probably views the Olympics as a needless competition and he wants to give Ronaldo a break so he doesn't burn out.

And besides isn't there a rule in place where a player who signs for a new club can be exempt from being called for their country unless if it is absolutely required.

From what I know Inter have not had a whinge about it with Kily Gonzalez being picked for Argentina because they have enough depth Cambiasso and Van der Meyde to cover him.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
the funny thing about this is that Ronaldo (the real one) said he would make himself available for the olympics to try and help brazil finally win gold there and then the nuffies they picked for qualifying bombed out and they didnt even make it!
It was because the European clubs didn't have to release their Brazlian players to go and play in the qualifyers.

Had they had Kaka for example it would have made the world of difference.

Craig

World Traveller
GermanShepherd said:
Who do you think will win gold ?

My tip is Argentina.

However I'll be supporting Iraq -- go IRAQ!!!!
Italy could be a factor.

There are five Roma players picked in their squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And besides isn't there a rule in place where a player who signs for a new club can be exempt from being called for their country unless if it is absolutely required.

No, there is absolutely no rule regarding that whatsoever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
It was because the European clubs didn't have to release their Brazlian players to go and play in the qualifyers.
No, they would have had to release them if called up, but the Brazilians chose to use their U19 side.

Simon

lord_of_darkness said:
So the Brazillians have no chance whatsoever..?
considering they arent in the tournament i think they may struggle.....