• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympic Tennis

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seedings Announced

These are the order in which players have been seeded for olympic competition, a couple of Germans in there, With Tommy's low ranking he was always going to miss out.....
Serena Williams has pulled out of the womens competition, and entered the men. j/k. naa shes pulled out and has been replaced by Samantha Stosur from Australia. Go Sam :D

seeds:
1. Roger Federer (SUI)
2. Andy Roddick (USA)
3. Carlos Moya (ESP)
4. Tim Henman (GBR)
5. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
6. David Nalbandian (ARG)
7. Rainer Schuettler (GER)
8. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)
9. Marat Safin (RUS)
10. Nicolas Massu (CHI)
11. Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)
12. Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
13. Andrei Pavel (ROM)
14. Nicolas Kiefer (GER)
15. Tommy Robredo (ESP)
16. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)

Simon

thewizard1o1 said:
haha, i tell you watch out for him!

(cause he won't be on the court for long...6-0 6-0 then home :p)
i wonder how long Roddick would take to beat him, id be surprised if it lasted more than half an hour!

Simon

the draw has just been released

The Draw

Haas has a bloody toughie against Mario Ancic with the winner to play roddick probably. Oh well, he still has his silver from sydney.

other big first round matches

Lamine Ouahab vs Tommy Roberdo
Taylor Dent vs David Nalbandian
Nicolas Massu vs Gustarvo Kuerten
Igor Andreev v Rainer Schuettler
Tim Henman vs Jiri Novak
Karol Kucera vs Marat Safin

Most of the other big names have gimmies really....
after seeing the draw my semi final precitions are

Kiefer vs Haas/Roddick
Robredo vs Moya

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is tennis even in the Olympics?

They should at least make it interesting and play around the world or 2 against 1 or something like that.

Simon

lol kyle, tennis is one of the original 9 sports from the olympics, it deserves a spot just as much as swimming or atheletics

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
lol kyle, tennis is one of the original 9 sports from the olympics, it deserves a spot just as much as swimming or atheletics
Yeah, probably, but it should be restricted to those outside the top 100. No matter what any of the players say, they don't consider it a 'real' tournament.

Don't all the soccer players have to be under 23?

biased indian

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, probably, but it should be restricted to those outside the top 100. No matter what any of the players say, they don't consider it a 'real' tournament.

Don't all the soccer players have to be under 23?
i think u can have 3 players above that age in the team??

its a decision made by FIFA and not IOC so that the WORLD cup dont loose its shine.

and y should be players above 100 only be allowed. it will be better to have
a team competition than the individual thing say
1 mens,womens singles 1doubles of men and women and one mixed double
a total of 5 matches it will be some thing different

Mister Wright

biased indian said:
i think u can have 3 players above that age in the team??

its a decision made by FIFA and not IOC so that the WORLD cup dont loose its shine.

and y should be players above 100 only be allowed. it will be better to have
a team competition than the individual thing say
1 mens,womens singles 1doubles of men and women and one mixed double
a total of 5 matches it will be some thing different
Yeah, that would be good, sought of like the Hopman Cup.

Simon

well, before 1988 olympic tennis was strictly amatuers only. Basically for many years there were professionals that played the slams and the ATP tour. But the amatuers played club competitions and davis cups and it wasnt until the 92 games i think it was that professionals were allowed to play the olympics, of course the davis cup laws were changed well before that....

I dont have a problem the way it is now, tennis a great traditional sport and why shouldnt the pinalce players be allowed to win an olympic gold medal...

Simon

Tim Henman the only big name casualty on day 1, lol!!!!!!!
Haas and Roddick both got through set up a second round clash and im pretty confident tommy can get the job done this week....
Federer starts his campaign today, and should win i think..

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
Tim Henman the only big name casualty on day 1, lol!!!!!!!
Haas and Roddick both got through set up a second round clash and im pretty confident tommy can get the job done this week....
Federer starts his campaign today, and should win i think..
LOL @ Henman. Will England get a medal? :-O