• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cycling

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ok im aus but ill start off, its a disgrace, its a mess, its in shambles, if we send 2 clean cyclists ill be surprised...

ash chaulk

International Captain
yep thats tru but i think pretty much all cyclists everywhere have probably had some performance enhancing drugs either illegal or legal...

Simon

id say thats a pretty unfair generalisation on all the clean cyclists, cause i can assure you there would be plenty, most even.....

ash chaulk

International Captain
it just seems like a dodgy sport to me with all this drama going on you can't blame me for saying this. Im not much of a cycling fan but i do enjoy watching it when they have the 4 cyclists in like a relay form racing

Simon

i love the tour de france, one of my favourite sporting events, gets very little coverage in australia though, track cycling doesnt interest me though...
even at the olympics though i like the road events

Simon

they do have live telecasts on sunday nights, they are alway exciting, and the daily show that goes for half an hou at 6pm on SBS, also on 3 times a day on fox sports....

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
i love the tour de france, one of my favourite sporting events, gets very little coverage in australia though, track cycling doesnt interest me though...
The Tour's first proper day in the mountains - when the race for Yellow really begins - is always a highlight of the sporting year.

I think one of Australia's Tour riders is intending to ride in the Olympics. It's either Brad McGhee or Robbie McEwen, I think.

Craig

World Traveller
ash chaulk said:
yep thats tru but i think pretty much all cyclists everywhere have probably had some performance enhancing drugs either illegal or legal...
If they are performance enhancing then I should imagine they are illegal.

There will be no David Millar who has a heap of talent and is considered a future Tour winner, now his career is in ruins because he admitted to taking EPO.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
Road Cycling is awesome compared to the track stuff. There is nothing more then a hard climb and then a descent at speeds of over 55km/h (the fastest I have gone is at 57.3 km/h downhill).

IMO I think Armstrong will win this year, he has a lot to prove to those who think he is past it and to get revenge on the writers who accused him off cheating.

Simon

hes gonna win it for sure, u would be brave to bet against him, good to see robbie grab the yellow jersey overnight though, hopefully he wins the green one though!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
hes gonna win it for sure, u would be brave to bet against him, good to see robbie grab the yellow jersey overnight though, hopefully he wins the green one though!
Only cos some idiot who can't handle the paved roads fell right in front of Hushovd. :/

Simon

its all part of the tour, theres nothing to say lance wont go down and sustain an injury before the tour is over, i mean it happened to tyler hamilton last year and stuffed his race....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Iban Mayo stuffed his, too. And Tyler didn't go down on paved roads, though. Keep that to Paris-Roubaix.

*sore loser mode off*

Simon

haha, either way lance is unstopable, when they get to the real mountains theres no looking back....

Craig

World Traveller
Do you think he will still look to hold onto the yellow or give it up and get it back in the mountain stages?

I think he will probably go for the latter. I think him having it is merely circumstantial and him having is a pysiochologial dominace over Jan Ullrich, Tyler Hamilton etc. that he is he is riding strong and is serious about his attempt for his 6th Tour win.

The early stages are for the sprinters.

Watching the Team Time Trial highlights, you have to give credit to Phonak for finishing with just five riders because had a rider slipped over towards the end they would have been stuffed and to get 2nd is a fine effort.

I think T-Mobile are missing Alexandre Vinokourov.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Iban Mayo stuffed his, too. And Tyler didn't go down on paved roads, though. Keep that to Paris-Roubaix.

*sore loser mode off*
Iban Mayo will only ever win the Tour (and I think he can) is when becomes a better time trialler.

People like Marco Pantani are rare to win a Tour and being solely a climber.

Sam has there been a big reaction in Norway of Hushovd becoming the first Norwegian to wear the yellow jersey?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yes, certainly...although not quite as big as he possibly deserves, he did hit the front page of most newspapers, and most people are pretty impressed.

*crosses fingers in desperate hope that McEwen doesn't get over the Pyrenees* ;)

Simon

haha he will, he always battles through, hes already in the green and hopefully he wont give it up at all and win it again......