Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Song(s) of all time?

Your Favourite Song(s) of all time?

I thought it would be interesting to see what people's favourite song or songs of all time were and why. Are they your favourite because they remind you of a good time in your life, or just because it is a good song musically?

Well, for me it's:-

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    I was hooked on Joy Division when I heard this song. The song totally captivated me and it is just a beautiful song, lyrically, musically, everything about the song is brilliant.

Rolling Stones - Start Me Up
    The opening riff by Keith Richards is awesome and is the perfect introduction to the song. Then the Bass really kicks in and hums all the way through the song. Brilliant song.

The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hold
    Everything is right about this song. It's is just a brilliant song and this song really switched me on to The Beatles and how good they were.

These are my favourite songs of all time, not because they remind me of anything in particular. They are just great songs which I could listen to over and over again.

Share your favourite songs of all time here and why.

Regards,

Lee
    Last edited by PommieMacGill; 21-09-2004 at 05:29 AM.
    PommieMacGill.

“Everyday life is only an illusion behind which lies the reality of dreams." - Werner Herzog

Friedrich Nietzsche | Werner Herzog | Joy Division | Ludovico Einaudi | History | Peep Show

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Wonderwall - Oasis
    Just a great song, good memories and makes me think long and hard

Push - Matchbox Twenty
    The song that gt me hooked on this great band, must have listened to it a million times

Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
    One of the greatest rock songs ever, gets better every time i listen to it

Holy Grail - Hunters and Collectors
    Another great song, hard to describe why i like it so much, so i wont..

Semi Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
    Probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite all time, very catchy for a rock song, but very rocky for a pop song, the extended version has some great lyrics in the middle..

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody:
    Absolute classic. Musical perfection. Great lyrics, great sound.

Muse - Citizen Erased:
    Amazing song. The transition from the quiet bit to the second main guitar bit is absolutely beautiful, and the quiet piano ending is as powerful as any guitar riff Muse have ever played.

Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast:
    A 10 minute epic. Incredible sound. The lyrics aren't quite as great as the first 2 songs I mentioned though.

Radiohead - Paranoid Android:
    Another great epic song (as you can see I quite like the long songs) with great lyrics and tune changes.

Muse - Thoughts of a Dying Atheist:
    Not as good musically as many of Muse's other songs, but absolutely phenomenal lyrics. "It scares the hell out of me, and the end is all I can see".

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Oooh, my kinda thread (puts on anorak):

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore - The Smiths
    I think when scientists discover the formula for the perfect song they will prove this is it. Morrissey in prime lyrical form, striking exactly the right note between resignation & a muted hope. Johnny Marr's guitar is simply stunning. You'll believe a guitar can cry.

That's Entertainment - The Jam
    The ultimate two-chord classic. Weller takes the mundane specifics of English city life in the late 70s & makes it sound timeless and transcendent. "A baby wailing, stray dog howling, a freezing cold flat & damp on the walls. That's entertainment." Doesn't read as great poetry, but sounds perfect in its context.

Taillights Fade - Buffalo Tom
    A "Love Will Tear Us Apart" for the post-Nirvana generation. Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom's lead singer) sounds like what Ian Curtis would've sounded if he'd been a college boy from Boston with a truckload of Catholic guilt. "Broken face & broken hands, I'm a broken man". Sounds like he's ploughing a deep, deep furrow. I wish him well, but I’m glad I’m not him, ‘cos it sounds like hell down there.

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Divison
    I've been beaten to this one by Pommie MacGill, but couldn't not mention it. I could talk about Martin Hamnet's darkly percussive production or the glistening sheen of the keyboard, but that's missing the point. It's the sound of a 24 year old who, unable to choose between his wife & his lover, was shortly to take his own life.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Nice selections there BoyBrumby. You seem to have the same kind of taste in music as I do

I was going to add a Smith's song into my all-time list, I was thinking either "This Charming Man" or "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" but I couldn't decide between the two. "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" would have been up there too.

I was also thinking about putting in "Walk In My Shadow" by Free. If you've heard it you will know that it is the perfect example of Blues Rock. A really hard, throbbing bassline followed by some really well thrown together lyrics. A great song and a fave of mine but it misses out on making it into my top 3 of all-time.

Again, I was thinking about placing "Leif Erikson" by Interpol in my top-three but I decided against it. It is a beautiful song, humming bassline throughout and very eery vocals reminiscent of Joy Divisions Ian Curtis in some ways.
    Last edited by PommieMacGill; 21-09-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I doubt there are many who would agree with some of my selections, but here goes (no deep analysis, no heavy anoraking - I'm a fillum buff, not a song buff, but I know what I like) - and yes, one of these 'songs' is an instrumental...

Feeling Good (Nina Simone) - covered by a number of artists including Muse - and that was nearly as good as the original. Nina Simone had a voice which made me want to die with pleasure.

Little House I Used To Live In (Mothers of Invention) - anything with Sugar Cane Harris playing violin is good by me. Also features some breathtaking guitar by Zappa, saxaphone by Ian Underwood which flows so well it's almost liquid, and great skin work by Ainsley Dunbar.

One (Metallica) - the song was based upon the book 'Johnny Got His Gun' by Dalton Trumbo and tells the tale of a soldier terribly injured on the final day of World War I - a quadruple amputee who is also blind, deaf and dumb, unable to communicate yet conscious.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Pinball Champion!
    FEEDER - Love Pollution
    Undoutebly my favourite song of all time.. When I heard it I new Feeder were my favourite band of all time as well.. Best thing about it is the way it has a sombre theme but is immensely uplifting at the same time.. Lyrics are the best I have heard out of the music I have liked, by a long way again.. Its an incredibly sad yet hopeful song

FEEDER - Just the way I'm feeling
    If you were to cast a criticism, it would be that it is to similar to Love Pollution.. Its a more uplifting song though, and anything that is similar to it gets a hell of a lot of play time on 1X repeat.. Just like this song

POETS OF THE FALL - Late Goodbye
    Probably the only way you would have heard this song is if you had completed Max Payne 2 and its the music to the credits at the end.. It was worth getting the game just for this bit of music.. Anyway I decided to look into these guys, and they are unsigned band from Finland. Quite how this stuff has passed nearly everyone by is a bit of an injustice..
    Anyway, I will endeavor to get you a link so you can download the MP3.. Tell everyone if you like it..

SNOW PATROL - Run
    This was played at the college rock fest.. Anyway that was Snow Patrol discovered!

Honorable Mentions

5) Muse - Our time is now
    6) Kelly Rowland - Stole
    7) Coldplay - God put a smile on your face
    8) Travis - Driftwood
    9) Snow Patrol - How to be dead
    10) Oasis - Whatever (yeah I take most of the stuff I've said about Oasis back)
    11) U2 - Walk on
    12) Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Muse tends to be a recurring theme - I don't actually know many people who DON'T like them.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Muse tends to be a recurring theme - I don't actually know many people who DON'T like them.
    Im not a fan of a lot of their stuff, but what I do like I find very very good indeed (Kind of like Oasis)

International Debutant AUST_HiTMaN's Avatar
    Well, just a couple of my favs, like eddie, no deep analysis.

Guns N Roses - November Rain
    Metallica - One
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
    Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Cold Chisel - Forever Now
    Bryan Adams - Summer of '69 (Cheers for reminding me Simon )

Just a couple of my all time favourite songs. Had an interesting question my boss asked me today at work today "What would your funeral song be?" I couldnt answer with any certainty, more then likely November Rain by Gunners, but yeh. Took some thought.
    eep.

International Debutant
    Muse - Butterflies & Hurricanes
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil / Gimmie Shelter
    Led Zepplin - Kashmir
    Guns 'n Roses - Estranged
    CCR - I put a spell on you
    U2 - One
    Elton John - Funeral for a Friend / I've seen that Movie too
    Beatles - Golden Slumbers? (for something different)
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Echo & The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
    Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt
    Mike Oldfield - Mt Teidi - live & loud....

and many others...........

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Dashboard Confessional - A Plain Morning
    Still sounds as good now after listening to it 1000s of times as it did when I first heard it.
    Coldplay - Clocks
    Matchbox Twenty - Unwell
    The reason I am now a massive fan- heard it once & was hooked
    Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
    A complete change to their other stuff & a beautiful song.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
    A great song. Has to be listened to extremely loud to get the full effects of the intro. Even better with the video!

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

Coldplay - God Put a Smile Upon My Face
    Not my favourite, but a brilliant song that I can listen to forever.

Coldplay - The Scientist
    Probably my favourite Coldplay song. Absolutely tops.

Oasis - Wonderwall
    I'd say this would be my number one. It's something that I just play over and over again and never get tired of. Oasis would probably be one of my favourite bands as well.

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
    Awesome song...

Queen - We Will Rock You
    Classic!

Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Slow song, but I just love it.

Lighthouse Family - High
    Another slow song, but I just love the song and the lyrics.

U2 - Beautiful Day
    The lsit wouldn't be complete without U2. Hard to pick, but Beatiful Day would be my favourite, just!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge
    Their best song ever IMO. Can't Stop, By The Way, Californication and Scar Tissue come close but Under the Bridge is just a classic.

Matchbox 20 - Disease
    I always have this song in my head for some reason. But I just love listening to it, Matchbox 20's best IMO.

Greenday Time Of Your Life
    Great song, liked it since the day it came out. Also it's always played at cermonies and stuff so it sticks in my head. Great Song.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Pinball Champion!
    Cloete, its "God put a smile upon your face"!

Absolutely storming song, Coldplays best IMO..

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Cloete, its "God put a smile upon your face"!

Absolutely storming song, Coldplays best IMO..
    lol true...maybe it has a double meaning? Coldplay put a smile upon My face !

Is it:
    "God gave my style and gave me grace,
    God put a smile upon your face."

Or is it:
    "God gave YOU style and gave YOU grace,
    God put a smile upon Your face."

Always thoguht it was the first, but it must be the later.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information