Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Club cricket Chat Thread

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar

Club cricket Chat Thread

Lets start a thread about club cricket and who we play for and our preformances over the weekend and general views

Pinball Champion!
    Well I play for Stoke St.Mary in the West Somerset League in the UK.. We are just out of Taunton, about a mile and a half from the County Ground...
    The standard of club cricket here seems to be dropping like a stone, but we are just picking ourselves up from a recession.. So as a result we have bossed the season and are top by some way...
    Last week we bowled a team from Exmoor out for 57. Being severly bored and having travelled a long way, the captain decided to let me open (he didnt want to get his pads out of the car).. I ended up with a pretty sedate 24 not out..
    My season stats are in my signature... I think they make a statement about the tossers who insist I bat at 10,11...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

I play for US Cricket Academy...I still havent played a game because I just joined 3-4 months ago but I see my first game coming up soon
    liveyalifenikhilsway@hotmail.com -MSN

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Hello and welcome back
    Rain has stopped and palyers are back in the middle
    Play is about to stop

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I'm currently playing for P.E.C. We've played 4 games this season, lost 3 and had one washed out. 2 more games this season.

Personally....

Game 1 - fielded well in my estimation. Made a couple of desperate dives on the fine boundary to stop 4 wides. Both unsuccessfully... and painfully.
    Didn't bowl. Came in to bat at 8 and was told that 25 runs were needed from 7 balls. I went for the maximum to my second ball, but was caught right back on the longoff boundary. After the game we were told that we actually needed 25 runs from 28 balls and that the scorer made a mistake. We lost by 8 runs.

Game 2 - didn't play. Was ill. Wish I did play though, as we were knocked over for 32 runs on a road of a pitch (literally). Some stupid shots played. I'm sure I could have done better. Lost by 6 wickets.

Game 3 - Dropped a crucial catch, one of 11 dropped by the team. Also had one drop short at deep midwicket, then had the captain/coach yell at me for not charging and diving. Scored 5 runs including a lovely shot off my toes through midwicket for 4. Was bowled to the next ball by a left-armer who was swinging it profusely. No excuse on my part though, as the over before I had told my batting partner to take a middle stump guard and ensure that he had the stumps covered for the one pitching on off' and swinging back in. I gave him the advice and didn't follow it myself. Didn't bowl.

Game 4 - Fielded well and bowled one over, discussed in detail here.
    Opened the batting for the first time this season and added 32 for the first wicket, scoring 12 before playing a stupid shot and being well caught at midoff off a full toss. Played a nice sweep shot off the opening seamer though. Comfortably lost.

Won't be playing the next game because I'm occupied otherwise on the day.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket season is over in New Zealand. *Sobs*
    Im back in town boys!
    www.macsnpods.com/forums

Pinball Champion!
    We are playing the biggest bunch of tossers you will ever meet on Saturday..

Two years ago, I went out to bat without a helmet because they had 2 spinners in tandem.. I was quite surprised to hear their captain shout "Thats right, knock his F***ing head off".. Even more surprised when I realised he wasnt joking.. I got five bouncers in a row, followed by a yorker which bowled me..
    The next game against them I took 6-28 and scored 34*.. We got absolutely stuffed...

The toys are on the edge of the pram, Its going to be bloody.. Stay tuned

I play for Hinckley Town Cricket Club in Leicestershire. I started off playing in the 1st XI in the Leicestershire Premier League although i have now been relegated to the 2nd XI for the last 2 games and for the foreseeable future in my eyes. I have lost all confidence in my bowling, i bowl Wrist-Spin and I don't think i've bowled worse in my career so far. On Saturday i broke down after bowling 3 overs poorly. Close to tears which may seem childish but it is so annoying, nothing is going right for me and I know i can bowl much better. Feel i am letting all my teamates down at the moment. Batting wise i'm not up to much at the moment either, seemed to have lost all my technique and fielding is the only part of my game I am confident with.

It all doesn't bode well as I have my first County match in 12 days against an Arshad Ayub XI

Regards,
    Lee
    Last edited by PommieMacGill; 02-06-2004 at 05:48 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PommieMacGill
    I play for Hinckley Town Cricket Club in Leicestershire. I started off playing in the 1st XI in the Leicestershire Premier League although i have now been relegated to the 2nd XI for the last 2 games and for the foreseeable future in my eyes. I have lost all confidence in my bowling, i bowl Wrist-Spin and I don't think i've bowled worse in my career so far. On Saturday i broke down after bowling 3 overs poorly. Close to tears which may seem childish but it is so annoying, nothing is going right for me and I know i can bowl much better. Feel i am letting all my teamates down at the moment. Batting wise i'm not up to much at the moment either, seemed to have lost all my technique and fielding is the only part of my game I am confident with.

It all doesn't bode well as I have my first County match in 12 days against an Arshad Ayub XI

Regards,
    Lee
    Yeh i can relate to that... I bowl wrist spin too, and had an appaling time of it after I went for Somerset trials... Its hard when you put pressure on yourself to do well, and I put far too much on myself.. Luckily my batting always seems to fire when the bowling doesnt...

Its so hard to bowl, ive just given up on so many occasions and bowled medium pace, much to everyones annoyance... Still I guess the only way to get out of a slump is to do some major bowling.. And relax when you get to the crease! Good luck with it all..

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    The toys are on the edge of the pram, Its going to be bloody.. Stay tuned
    Luckyeddie tip for winding up idiot pacemen who bowl too many bouncers....

When you receive your first or second bouncer, do what you normally do (duck, hook, fall on your bum, whatever).

When you receive the 'one too many' bouncer wait until the bowler is almost back to the end of his run-up, then walk the WHOLE length of the pitch, right to the popping-crease at the other end, tap the wicket, say 'sorry' and walk back again.

At least you know what your next ball will be.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Another leggie here (as most of you know) - I've been bowling it since 1993 and 'that' ball. It's undoubtedly the most difficult of the 'arts' to master and can go wrong the most...

I reckon I'm probably bowling the best that I've ever done at the moment but I'm not playing for any teams to prove it.

If I were you I'd find someone willing to bat (defend) in the net with you for an hour or more, the only way to get rhythm back is just by keeping going.. Good Luck.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Yeh i can relate to that... I bowl wrist spin too, and had an appaling time of it after I went for Somerset trials... Its hard when you put pressure on yourself to do well, and I put far too much on myself.. Luckily my batting always seems to fire when the bowling doesnt...

Its so hard to bowl, ive just given up on so many occasions and bowled medium pace, much to everyones annoyance... Still I guess the only way to get out of a slump is to do some major bowling.. And relax when you get to the crease! Good luck with it all..
    Yeah, cheers for that Langeveldt, and you Neil! I find i bowl much better as the standard of cricket i play at increases so it doesn't help when i'm playing 2nd XI cricket against oink's who don't realise whether i've just bowled a Googly or an Off-Cutter! They just slog everything.

I agree about the personal pressure thing you mentioned, i mean i'm my own worst enemy and the pressure i put on myself is enormous, as i say i mean i'm 17 and last Saturday I was close to tears because i was so upset with the way i bowled. I seriously need to bowl and just bowl, need to get the rythym back as i will be playing 2 Day Cricket this year so it's important i can bowl a longish spell and also be fairly accurate.

Well, i'm sure it will all come back!

Cheers guys!

Lee

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Luckyeddie tip for winding up idiot pacemen who bowl too many bouncers....

When you receive your first or second bouncer, do what you normally do (duck, hook, fall on your bum, whatever).

When you receive the 'one too many' bouncer wait until the bowler is almost back to the end of his run-up, then walk the WHOLE length of the pitch, right to the popping-crease at the other end, tap the wicket, say 'sorry' and walk back again.

At least you know what your next ball will be.
    Many thanks... If I can cut my way through all the verbals I will remember to do that

International Coach
    Yet another leggie here, and a ****ed off one.

One day I'm bowling brilliantly, and another (namely today) I bowl the biggest pile of rap you ever did see.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Sounds like every other leg spinner in the world, then!

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    used to be a slow left armer but as i turned it about half as much as Ashley Giles i changed to bowling chinamen and find that while i can get a lot more turn, i also bowl a lot more wayward than i used to!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information