Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What is the best English music album of the past decade?

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    AM - Arctic Monkeys
    GIMH likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.

Wrong thread? Still better than the last decade of music
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Haha no, deliberate post. It was what inspired me to make the other thread.

International 12th Man
    Either A Black Mile To The Surface by Manchester Orchestra.This is a super emotional indie rock record.

Or Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It by Rolo Tomassi which is an intense post-metal/mathcore record that works like a seamless song for the whole album.

I can't split these two albums, they're absolutely amazing and are spun regularly even more than a year on from their releases.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Think we've seen a real renaissance in Australian music this decade, Courtney Barnett, Tame Impala, Pond, Bored Nothing and the Goon Sax have all made impressive bows since 2010, but my vote goes to the lush Hope Downs by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever.

It's as close an answer as we're going to get to the question "What would The Go-Betweens sound like if they were starting over in 2018?"

An honourable mention to I Forget Where We Were by Ben Howard too. He gets (unfairly, IMHO) lumped in with the plethora of singer/songwriters we've been infested with like woodlice of late, but he's streets ahead of that.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 16-09-2019 at 04:19 AM.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    Either A Black Mile To The Surface by Manchester Orchestra.This is a super emotional indie rock record.

Or Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It by Rolo Tomassi which is an intense post-metal/mathcore record that works like a seamless song for the whole album.

I can't split these two albums, they're absolutely amazing and are spun regularly even more than a year on from their releases.
    That Rolo Tomassi album is incredible. One of the best of last year, for sure, not sure where I'd rank it for the whole decade though.

A Moon Shaped Pool
    Teja. likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Think we've seen a real renaissance in Australian music this decade, Courtney Barnett, Tame Impala, Pond, Bored Nothing and the Goon Sax have all made impressive bows since 2010, but my vote goes to the lush Hope Downs by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever.

It's as close an answer as we're going to get to the question "What would The Go-Betweens sound like if they were starting over in 2018?"

An honourable mention to I Forget Where We Were by Ben Howard too. He gets (unfairly, IMHO) lumped in with the plethora of singer/songwriters we've been infested with like woodlice of late, but he's streets ahead of that.
    Definitely agree on Ben Howard.

I don't listen to enough albums to have a particularly good opinion, but xx was only ten years ago and I haven't heard an album I liked better since.

The best NZ album I've heard in years is The Beths' Future Me Hates Me.

Another favourite from the past decade is Benji by Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek). No doubt it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

U19 12th Man
    Chupke chupke raat din by Gulam Ali the best I ever heard in Classical hits you must understand Hindi or Urdu to enjoy it
    Ishan Kishan
    What @ Player!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    A Moon Shaped Pool
    Such a great album - starts with burn the witch which is the eeriest, most distinctive track i’ve ever listened to and ends with the most wholesome version of true love waits, which was a fan cult secret for over a decade.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Initially I thought it might be their best yet, but it comes in behind In Rainbows for mine after a few years to digest it

It's strength lies largely in Jonny Greenwood's string/choral arrangements, and there is some excellent use of piano and keyboards throughout some of the tracks, the balance between pure songwriting skill and texture/production was very impressive

Kid A still number one IMO. The transition from OKC with the suicidal depression of No surprises/Climbing up the walls to the desperate optimism of Lucky/Tourist, the murmur of rebellion at the end of Everything in it’s Right Place to full scale revolution in Idioteque/Kid A is such a great example of music (not predominantly the lyrics) as a storytelling medium.

So many little wonderdul things in Kid A, like there being two narrators inside the protagonist’s head who both have their own songs, with some overlap. At the beginning of the album, ‘Kid A’ is doing the profane, unclear robotic murmurs while the other character has a clear melodic voice, by the end of the album, with Kid A having taken over, it’s the opposite. I’ve listened to the album hundreds of times and notice something cool each time.
    Last edited by Teja.; 16-09-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    StephenZA likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information