Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Is networking against merit?

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Chatting to people at econ history conferences is great, always meet loads of really interesting people there. Finance conferences, not so much.
    Yeah, tbf there are one or two very friendly niche conferences I go to each year. Those are great. Always meet cool and interesting sorts at them.

But then you get the big, glitzy-glammy, super serious and major conferences, and those are just dreadful.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No. Because as with any field, you get caught up in the bullshit of your own endeavour. Everyone does. Itís a human failing.

Why wouldnít you go to a mob which puts together **** in a useful way to start with, rather than employ someone on big bucks to make sure a product someone else builds actually does what itís meant to do? Isnít that a ridiculous level of redundancy, regardless of the industry or product?
    Based on my limited understanding, it's a bit like the role of the consultant in the construction industry.

You have a main contractor, subcons, architects, resident engineers, quantity surveyors etc. But the consultant is the one that translates the clients needs into specifications and coordinates with the rest of the stakeholders for everything from tendering, drawings, monitoring progress, handling variations, certifying payments and whatnot. Hugely important role.

A project co-ordinator like you said sounds like a fair description.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    They need placements to justify the existence of MBAs.
    Yeah but go and work on sales/marketing/finance/HR etc. Leave software alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

This makes sense to me.

So they're essentially a project co-ordinator, as junior said this morning.
    Nah. Project co-ordinators are concerned with the project, while solution architects are concerned with the solution.

A movie analogy comes to mind -

Project co-ordinator would be someone like an AD in a film-shoot: the guy who prepares shooting schedules, makes sure everybody is available on shooting days, cameras and other equipment will come in time, the props are placed correctly, the shooting area is booked, the set design is complete etc.

Solution architect is someone like a film editor: he has a good idea exactly how the end product will look like, and from there he can back-engineer exactly what is needed to achieve that vision. AD may want to prepare an expensive set and long schedule for a scene, but when he learns from the editor that's just a 10-second scene in the final movie he may change plans accordingly.

Sometimes both the roles are done by the same person, but the roles are completely different.
    Last edited by weldone; 01-08-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Daemon likes this.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    one of the downsides of networking is having to explain modern day life and technology to old people

as exhibited by this thread.
    vcs likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

I think networking if you define it as sucking up to people more important than you constantly is the worst, most boring way to spend time.

However accepting personal invitations and making friends with other peers who work in the same industry as you that you also enjoy hanging out with is invaluable. It’s great to have people who understand your very specific wins and frustrations. Also great to have a few numbers to call in case you want to change jobs.
    zorax likes this.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    It just sounds like a grandiose term for project supervisor to me.
    they are not though...

Lots of blurring of Business Analyst and Solution Architect going on in this thread IMO

I've had 8 full time jobs in the last 16 years. Of those, 6 or possibly 7 of them have come through people I know or prior experience/interactions with that company.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I like to think of it from the employer’s perspective. You want to begin a search that costs time and money and may result in picking a misfit (as may happen when you judge people off a cv and an interview or two) or would you rather pick someone that’s vouched for?

There are reasons why some companies pay a referral bonus.

I’m not saying referrals are always superior ftr, they’re obviously open to abuse as well.
    zorax likes this.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I've had 8 full time jobs in the last 16 years. Of those, 6 or possibly 7 of them have come through people I know or prior experience/interactions with that company.
    Athlai and Smudge like this.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Well played, NZT.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Lots of blurring of Business Analyst and Solution Architect going on in this thread IMO
    They're both bullshit corporate/ IT speak terms.

There's so much of this bullshit goes on. Sick of it. Yesterday we got in an uber to go to the movies, and Mrs Burgey is talking to the bloke who says he's an IT salesperson who wants to get "into the solution architect space" because he finds it so interesting, and "there are so many terrible sales people out there." Unbelievably, Mrs Burgey - who is one of the smartest, most capable people I know, and who could sell ice to Eskimos - finds all this believable and doesn't appreciate me texting her saying "There are so many bad sales people around", says the man supplementing his sales income by Uber driving.

I mean, it's all just complete bullshit.
    Smudge likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Is this a thing? I ask this genuinely. Don't you just have someone come along and say "I want a program which does X"? It's not like you've got software guy A who scales buildings or whatever, and software bloke B who flies planes - you're all sitting there doing programs, aren't you?

While we're on this, I want to ask a question. Apparently in the IT industry there are people called "solution architects." Mrs Burgey and I argue about this, as she has them at her work apparently.

Now, I work in a field which has lots of jargon but this IT/ corporate bullshit takes the cake. I laughed when she told me about these people. As I understand it, you have a customer who wants a certain product to do certain things. Then you have your aspy geeks who make the products, and the "solution architect" (I mean, come on) makes sure all the different products get put together so they actually do what the customer wants. I think they call it a ďstackĒ or something. In other words, you co-ordinate **** but call yourself an architect? What manner of evil is this.

Where do I get that job, seriously? Every other **** does the work, and you go back to them and say "Can you rework it please so it can talk to that other program over there?" That's their ****ing job? Really? Why not just employ a nerd who makes the software so it actually does what it was asked to from the get-go?

I have explained this to Mrs Burgey, however, she remains convinced these people are useful. We had one of them out here over the weekend from the UK and went to lunch at Icebergs. He's a Danish bloke and seems a nice fella, but I asked him what he does, and he sort of confirmed that's indeed his role. I said it must be a cushy gig - you basically just recapitulate the customer's request until some **** gets it right, but he seems to think it's actually a tough job.

That's got to be bullshit, surely? Can anyone else illuminate me? Because I just do not get it.
    I guess you're underestimating the logistical challenges that can come up with a role like solutions architect.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information