Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Is networking against merit?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Pretty sure you don't want the guy who makes fart apps for iPhones designing safety systems for aircraft.
    Perhaps that’s where Boeing went wrong

It just sounds like a grandiose term for project supervisor to me.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Yes! Exactly. But these people cause Mrs burgey endless grief because, firstly they’re German so inherently ossified and never cast a blow after 5pm their time, and secondly because they never do anything - they just refer **** back to other people/ entities.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    You’ve mentioned (I think) that you’re a programmer - I hope it’s the former type
    Nah I'm an academic researcher who can do programming. No way you want me doing any kind of important programming.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I went to a private school. Is there anything but networking?

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    People like giving themselves fancier names. Makes the business look good, also makes the persons CV looked good.

When I was studying, there was an design studio associated with the school, made up of ex-graduates and current students doing work experience. EVERYONE at 'entry level' had the title of 'art director'. A title normally reserved for the Don Draper type, who directs the designers to do their job. Ludicrous.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Is this a thing? I ask this genuinely. Don't you just have someone come along and say "I want a program which does X"? It's not like you've got software guy A who scales buildings or whatever, and software bloke B who flies planes - you're all sitting there doing programs, aren't you?
    LOL no. I literally have very little, or at best, an extremely superficial understanding of how other types of software work. Hell, I don't even understand most of the stuff in the tool that I work on. You're vastly underestimating the complexity of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    While we're on this, I want to ask a question. Apparently in the IT industry there are people called "solution architects." Mrs Burgey and I argue about this, as she has them at her work apparently.

Now, I work in a field which has lots of jargon but this IT/ corporate bullshit takes the cake. I laughed when she told me about these people. As I understand it, you have a customer who wants a certain product to do certain things. Then you have your aspy geeks who make the products, and the "solution architect" (I mean, come on) makes sure all the different products get put together so they actually do what the customer wants. I think they call it a “stack” or something. In other words, you co-ordinate **** but call yourself an architect? What manner of evil is this.

Where do I get that job, seriously? Every other **** does the work, and you go back to them and say "Can you rework it please so it can talk to that other program over there?" That's their ****ing job? Really? Why not just employ a nerd who makes the software so it actually does what it was asked to from the get-go?

I have explained this to Mrs Burgey, however, she remains convinced these people are useful. We had one of them out here over the weekend from the UK and went to lunch at Icebergs. He's a Danish bloke and seems a nice fella, but I asked him what he does, and he sort of confirmed that's indeed his role. I said it must be a cushy gig - you basically just recapitulate the customer's request until some **** gets it right, but he seems to think it's actually a tough job.

That's got to be bullshit, surely? Can anyone else illuminate me? Because I just do not get it.
    Now, let me preface this by saying I've not worked on this field so I'd take your wife's word for it if you're not interested in the details.

To understand why solution architects are needed, you need to understand the anatomy of a business tool. You have a frontend (desktop + mobile), backend (software running on the servers and doing the actual heavy lifting), database, cloud, security and no doubt various other components. You'd be able to build a solution of that complexity and scale much cheaper and quicker if you have individual teams specializing in each of those aspects, concentrating on what they do best. Bear in mind they'd be working across physical locations and timezones.

So, the solution architect has to understand the business requirements and translate it into a set of software specifications that leave no room for ambiguity for each of those individual component developers. You also have to architect it in such a way that these components can all be developed in parallel with minimum dependency on each other, so that you can deliver in time. Once that is done, you need to be able to put them together into a coherent whole. It's a lot trickier than it sounds to get all those things right.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Does merit exist?
    Merit is a relative term
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    People like giving themselves fancier names. Makes the business look good, also makes the persons CV looked good.
    The flip side is often true in industry too though. I've see so many 'assistant' engineers or license 'trainees' who churn out work and handle responsibilities at a level higher than their title would suggest, all because there are layers of beaurocracy to go through before they can be awarded a higher title.

Similarly, so many clerical roles do not fully capture the depth of responsibility that person has. Good admin stuff are worth their weight in gold, but often get dismissed because an outsider wouldn't realise it based on their titles.

It's a mess out there. Always better to ask someone for details on what their job entails, rather than go off the title.
    vcs, sledger and NZTailender like this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    LOL no. I literally have very little, or at best, an extremely superficial understanding of how other types of software work. Hell, I don't even understand most of the stuff in the tool that I work on. You're vastly underestimating the complexity of this stuff.

Now, let me preface this by saying I've not worked on this field so I'd take your wife's word for it if you're not interested in the details.

To understand why solution architects are needed, you need to understand the anatomy of a business tool. You have a frontend (desktop + mobile), backend (software running on the servers and doing the actual heavy lifting), database, cloud, security and no doubt various other components. You'd be able to build a solution of that complexity and scale much cheaper and quicker if you have individual teams specializing in each of those aspects, concentrating on what they do best. Bear in mind they'd be working across physical locations and timezones.

So, the solution architect has to understand the business requirements and translate it into a set of software specifications that leave no room for ambiguity for each of those individual component developers. You also have to architect it in such a way that these components can all be developed in parallel with minimum dependency on each other, so that you can deliver in time. Once that is done, you need to be able to put them together into a coherent whole. It's a lot trickier than it sounds to get all those things right.
    This makes sense to me.

So they're essentially a project co-ordinator, as junior said this morning.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

vcs
    Yeah, pretty much. Presumably, it'd be hard to find guys who understand the entire "stack" well enough to be able to coordinate a complex project of that scale. Hence why they're valuable.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    The flip side is often true in industry too though. I've see so many 'assistant' engineers or license 'trainees' who churn out work and handle responsibilities at a level higher than their title would suggest, all because there are layers of beaurocracy to go through before they can be awarded a higher title.

Similarly, so many clerical roles do not fully capture the depth of responsibility that person has. Good admin stuff are worth their weight in gold, but often get dismissed because an outsider wouldn't realise it based on their titles.

It's a mess out there. Always better to ask someone for details on what their job entails, rather than go off the title.
    Surprisingly good from you.

vcs
    What I do find curious is MBAs fresh out of B-school, with very little experience of having coded, designed, or led a software project, getting hired as Product/Project Managers. It doesn't happen much in my company, which works on a pretty niche type of software, but it's pretty common in a lot of other software firms. I don't really understand it - I would rather promote someone from the organization - but they do it so there must be some logic behind it.

International Vice-Captain
    They need placements to justify the existence of MBAs.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah same. Editing a journal is something that has also rapidly grown my contacts list too. Which I guess is rather predictable, but still has come as somewhat of a surprise.

My general attitude to conferences is "leave as soon as possible". Which is odd, because I usually enjoy them, but still see them as something to be endured for the most part.
    Chatting to people at econ history conferences is great, always meet loads of really interesting people there. Finance conferences, not so much.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information