Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Is networking against merit?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    The lunch and morning tea and afternoon tea breaks at conferences are awkward cos I don't like talking to randoms so I just find somewhere to sit down and look at my phone
    The best way to deal with conferences is to sign in, pick up the papers and **** off to the golf course or beach. That way you can read what you want of the material, claim the tax deduction for the cost of going and not have to actually deal with any of the ****wits in your own field of endeavour

I hate networking with a passion.

I also had a gut feeling that is for lesser mortals - but I must say that gut feeling isn't right. I have seen some extremely talented individuals spending time on networking. But I still hate it with a passion.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    zorax's answers in this thread are boringly correct, by and large. I share the general dislike for forced networking and would rather not spend any more time than I have to with people that I work with.

I do find it fascinating to talk to people who work in different fields of software though and love asking detailed questions about what exactly it is that they do. Though I suspect the fascination would wear off rather quickly if I spent any length of time actually working on it...
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    'Networking' is a great word for talking yourself into the belief that your privilege is actually a skill.
    Why do you say that?

Plenty of people from a range of backgrounds network for a range of reasons. Making themselves more visible, raising funds, advice, a genuine interest in talking to others in their industry, finding jobs, looking for people to hire etc etc.

If you're hanging out at daddy's polo club trying to make connections that are sourced from personal relationships then sure, but a tad unfair to label the rest with this brush.
    sledger and zorax like this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Yeah. Also worth bearing in mind that networking groups/events for particular minorities or whatever are very much a thing as well.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    zorax's answers in this thread are boringly correct, by and large. I share the general dislike for forced networking and would rather not spend any more time than I have to with people that I work with.

I do find it fascinating to talk to people who work in different fields of software though and love asking detailed questions about what exactly it is that they do. Though I suspect the fascination would wear off rather quickly if I spent any length of time actually working on it...
    Is this a thing? I ask this genuinely. Don't you just have someone come along and say "I want a program which does X"? It's not like you've got software guy A who scales buildings or whatever, and software bloke B who flies planes - you're all sitting there doing programs, aren't you?

While we're on this, I want to ask a question. Apparently in the IT industry there are people called "solution architects." Mrs Burgey and I argue about this, as she has them at her work apparently.

Now, I work in a field which has lots of jargon but this IT/ corporate bullshit takes the cake. I laughed when she told me about these people. As I understand it, you have a customer who wants a certain product to do certain things. Then you have your aspy geeks who make the products, and the "solution architect" (I mean, come on) makes sure all the different products get put together so they actually do what the customer wants. I think they call it a ďstackĒ or something. In other words, you co-ordinate **** but call yourself an architect? What manner of evil is this.

Where do I get that job, seriously? Every other **** does the work, and you go back to them and say "Can you rework it please so it can talk to that other program over there?" That's their ****ing job? Really? Why not just employ a nerd who makes the software so it actually does what it was asked to from the get-go?

I have explained this to Mrs Burgey, however, she remains convinced these people are useful. We had one of them out here over the weekend from the UK and went to lunch at Icebergs. He's a Danish bloke and seems a nice fella, but I asked him what he does, and he sort of confirmed that's indeed his role. I said it must be a cushy gig - you basically just recapitulate the customer's request until some **** gets it right, but he seems to think it's actually a tough job.

That's got to be bullshit, surely? Can anyone else illuminate me? Because I just do not get it.
    Last edited by Burgey; 31-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Really showing your age here

I hardly think thatís the issue given my wife whoís a similar age is the VP who runs APAC for a Fortune 500 IT company. But thank you for your lack of input.

That's.. the purest thing on this forum.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I hardly think that’s the issue given my wife who’s a similar age is the VP who runs APAC for a Fortune 500 IT company. But thank you for your lack of input.
    Yeah but didn't you also say
    I have explained this to Mrs Burgey, however, she remains convinced these people are useful
    zorax likes this.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I hardly think that’s the issue given my wife who’s a similar age is the VP who runs APAC for a Fortune 500 IT company. But thank you for your lack of input.
    Exactly, I’d take her word for it

International Vice-Captain
    Pretty sure you don't want the guy who makes fart apps for iPhones designing safety systems for aircraft.
    zorax likes this.

I just think that, as with Daemon and cricket, itís not age but rather the fact I know nothing about the industry which has me perplexed about this matter

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Pretty sure you don't want the guy who makes fart apps for iPhones designing safety systems for aircraft.
    Youíve mentioned (I think) that youíre a programmer - I hope itís the former type

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Exactly, Iíd take her word for it
    No. Because as with any field, you get caught up in the bullshit of your own endeavour. Everyone does. Itís a human failing.

Why wouldnít you go to a mob which puts together **** in a useful way to start with, rather than employ someone on big bucks to make sure a product someone else builds actually does what itís meant to do? Isnít that a ridiculous level of redundancy, regardless of the industry or product?
    Last edited by Burgey; 31-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information