Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Is networking against merit?

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I hate networking and take any chance I can to avoid participating in such
    Spark likes this.

Active networking is not really a thing for most people. Once you are in an industry and working your are likely to get to know people naturally and get opportunities. Taking those opportunities and asking for them is something else. Only people I know that actively network are business owners, salesman and PR people. It also depends on your industry, technical industries where specific skills are likely to have less networking requirements, with the high skill demands creating the demand.

Simply, the more people you know and get on with the greater opportunities that exist for you, in everything.
    Kirkut and zorax like this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Active networking is not really a thing for most people. Once you are in an industry and working your are likely to get to know people naturally and get opportunities. Taking those opportunities and asking for them is something else. Only people I know that actively network are business owners, salesman and PR people. It also depends on your industry, technical industries where specific skills are likely to have less networking requirements, with the high skill demands creating the demand.

Simply, the more people you know and get on with the greater opportunities that exist for you, in everything.
    Yeah to be fair, I have no reservation re: organic networking (i.e. developing a network of contacts through interactions etc. that occur as a natural or logical consequence of doing whatever your day to day role is). But events that are designated as "Networking events" are the devil and should be stopped.

Conferences are kind of middle ground. You get people who seem genuinely interested in your work etc. and want to talk about it, but then you get others who you can tell are very obviously just out to try and kiss the ass of important people. I see so many people who walk around just looking at the name badges of others, rapidly moving on when they see you are a nobody. You'll usually find me in the corner next to the coffee and free food stands at such events, counting down the minutes until the miserable experience is over.
    Last edited by sledger; 30-07-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    Flem274* and Kirkut like this.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah to be fair, I have no reservation re: organic networking (i.e. developing a network of contacts through interactions etc. that occur as a natural or logical consequence of doing whatever your day to day role is). But events that are designated as "Networking events" are the devil and should be stopped.

Conferences are kind of middle ground. You get people who seem genuinely interested in your work etc. and want to talk about it, but then you get others who you can tell are very obviously just out to try and kiss the ass of important people. I see so many people who walk around just looking at the name badges of others, rapidly moving on when they see you are a nobody. You'll usually find me in the corner next to the coffee and free food stands at such events, counting down the minutes until the miserable experience is over.
    Why are you even there, just leave and go to a restaurant or something.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Why are you even there, just leave and go to a restaurant or something.
    Calm down Mr Capitalist. I'm not made of money ffs.

Calm down Mr Capitalist. I'm not made of money ffs.
    But, more seriously, such events usually tend to be sandwiched between sessions that I am interested in attending, so I just grin and put up with it whilst I kill the clock. Wouldn't bother hanging around in most circumstances.
    zorax likes this.

Conferences are such a strange thing; I've gotten to know some people pretty well but it was largely relaxed. Conferences are about hoping the coffee is decent, balancing the talks you are interested in against how many you can skip. 'Networking events' and or going out specifically for networking is non existent for me, and not likely to ever exist. Most of the more important contacts I've made was more from people just visiting the department.

Conferences are such a strange thing; I've gotten to know some people pretty well but it was largely relaxed. Conferences are about hoping the coffee is decent, balancing the talks you are interested in against how many you can skip. 'Networking events' and or going out specifically for networking is non existent for me, and not likely to ever exist. Most of the more important contacts I've made was more from people just visiting the department.
    Yeah same. Editing a journal is something that has also rapidly grown my contacts list too. Which I guess is rather predictable, but still has come as somewhat of a surprise.

My general attitude to conferences is "leave as soon as possible". Which is odd, because I usually enjoy them, but still see them as something to be endured for the most part.

International Vice-Captain
    Yeah once you see the same people a few times then they become fun because it's just like seeing your mates again. Unless of course you literally can't be bothered to talk to anyone.
    zorax likes this.

Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm an introverted journalist.

Tough one tstl.

State Vice-Captain
    The lunch and morning tea and afternoon tea breaks at conferences are awkward cos I don't like talking to randoms so I just find somewhere to sit down and look at my phone

True, it then becomes about how good you are at getting someone's attention.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    'networking' is such a parasitic term. it's just the open admission you want to be friends with someone for the job perks. i have zero time for people who network me and i'll just play with them for my own entertainment.

go to someones house with your co-workers and get ****ing smashed. it's the best. 'networkers' get mysteriously missed from the invites.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    like seriously, office politics make my skin crawl. i like warmth. some **** greasing me because of my position literally makes me uncomfortable. networkers deserve to be tormented and discarded when you're bored of them.

I hate networking and take any chance I can to avoid participating in such
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information