Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: To PhD or not to Phd?

I'm surprised by the number of PhDs in this forum.
    zorax likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I've never met anyone who loves the process. At best it's a satisfying form of suffering, like running a marathon. At worst it's just suffering.

Though TBF that's the case for almost all jobs.
    Haha yeah, the thing I always hear/heard a lot was "trust the process", which I always interpreted as "look, it's really dire, but its something you just have to endure".

I've never met anyone who loves the process. At best it's a satisfying form of suffering, like running a marathon. At worst it's just suffering.

This is so true.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

I liked the process. The process made me fall in love with academia.
    “If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.” - Douglas Adams

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I hated the process and it made me seriously consider abandoning academia altogether haha.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

I don't agree with this unless you mean almost all office jobs.

One of the advantages of doing a job where you're tasked with specific, short term stuff is that once the task is done, it's over and you end the day with a concrete list of stuff you did. Doing a PhD or working in an academic environment generally, I've found I sort of take a nibble at multiple things so it takes days/weeks/months to feel like you've finished something so you miss that feeling.
    Kirkut and zorax like this.

I honestly really love my job.

I am probably one of the few people in the world whose job does not feel like "work" to them.

I am basically paid to read/write/talk about topics I find really interesting and would want to immerse myself in regardless of any financial reward.

I am very lucky.
    StephenZA, Uppercut, vcs and 2 others like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I don't agree with this unless you mean almost all office jobs.

One of the advantages of doing a job where you're tasked with specific, short term stuff is that once the task is done, it's over and you end the day with a concrete list of stuff you did. Doing a PhD or working in an academic environment generally, I've found I sort of take a nibble at multiple things so it takes days/weeks/months to feel like you've finished something so you miss that feeling.
    It's 2019, almost all jobs are office jobs.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

I am probably one of the few people in the world whose job does not feel like "work" to them.

I am basically paid to read/write/talk about topics I find really interesting and would want to immerse myself in regardless of any financial reward.

I am very lucky.
    This is the ideal academic position... but unfortunately most of us don't get to this position, just to highly competitive.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    This is the ideal academic position... but unfortunately most of us don't get to this position, just to highly competitive.
    Yeah, I am quite lucky in that I am employed at a university where research is encouraged and supported (to some extent anyway), but it is not the be all and end all. Failure to meet a research target here will, at worst, mean you get fewer hours for it, and more teaching instead, rather than being being sacked.

This is a sanction of sorts that I can happily live with, as I am far too laid back to have the drive or desire to be a super famous researcher or whatever, and I really like teaching anyway (plus the most amount of teaching you can realistically be given is about 18 hours a week at an absolute max, which is still about half the hours someone working in an office would do each week).
    Kirkut likes this.

I do envy you because I do quite enjoy lecturing... the little I`ve done.

But I have no chance of staying with my current university (not that I really want to) and my research record is to poor for another university to really consider me. Maybe if I do a postdoc I can correct my publication record.

Teaching can also be a massive ball-ache tbf. If you end up with a crap group, or are lecturing on a topic you hate or is just generally dire, it is no fun at all. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to say anything, and you have a room of people staring at you as if they hate your guts. Marking can also be a very demoralising experience. And the admin is inevitably a massive drudge as well.

So it's by no means a completely utopian existence. But it certainly has far fewer downsides than more or less literally anything else I could imagine doing.

But hang in there lad. I know how bleak an existence it can feel. But from what I know of you on here, you are an articulate and thoughtful chap. It will work out.

This is very true haha.

I joined a law firm thinking it’d be absolutely great because I love law/policy but three years in it’s actually like signing up to be work in the kitchen in a restaurant with no priors because you love eating food.
    Last edited by Teja.; 28-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

I am very lucky.
    Right up in Maslow's Hierarchy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information