Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Board games

  1. #61
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,691
    I ****ing hate board games. Nothing worse than when you want to spend your Friday/Saturday night getting drunk and shooting the **** or watching sport with mates, but you're invited to a "games night" instead.

    There's just something deeply unpalatable to me about social time being taken up by a heavily structured activity requiring disciplined, engaged participation.

    I think people expect me to be the type of person who is good at board games, but I'm the guy who will never understand the rules, asks what he's supposed to do every turn and is totally unable to properly immerse himself in the game. Just thinking about it gives me cold sweats. Not sure what that says about me.

  2. #62
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    5,089
    Says to me you need better friends.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    55,835
    Have been enjoying Abyss recently.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

    those nights were on fire
    we couldn't get higher
    we didn't know that we had it all
    but no one warns you before the fall

  4. #64
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,435
    Tbh, I’m the same as TH but on the other hand I love card game nights so that leads me to believe the problem is me not being acquainted with the board games and cbf learning in that context more than anything.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR


  5. #65
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    55,835
    Tbf I'm including card games along with board games too. Love Letter, Anomia are really easy to learn (shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes) and get into.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,435
    Poker + low stakes gambling with friends is pretty great.

    Still love playing Uno with the right crowd too tbh.

  7. #67
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I ****ing hate board games. Nothing worse than when you want to spend your Friday/Saturday night getting drunk and shooting the **** or watching sport with mates, but you're invited to a "games night" instead.

    There's just something deeply unpalatable to me about social time being taken up by a heavily structured activity requiring disciplined, engaged participation.

    I think people expect me to be the type of person who is good at board games, but I'm the guy who will never understand the rules, asks what he's supposed to do every turn and is totally unable to properly immerse himself in the game. Just thinking about it gives me cold sweats. Not sure what that says about me.
    Your friends either play games which are too complicated or are terrible teachers.

    I could teach you a game like splendor very quickly and it's light enough that it's easy to play when you've had a couple.

    Then again, I regularly play new games and learn new rules sets.

  8. #68
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Poker + low stakes gambling with friends is pretty great.

    Still love playing Uno with the right crowd too tbh.
    You should give something like Skull a go. It's all about bluffing successfully - it's what poker tries to be.

  9. #69
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Tbf I'm including card games along with board games too. Love Letter, Anomia are really easy to learn (shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes) and get into.
    6 nimmt is great too. As is arboretum but I have to be in the mood for that one since it'll annihilate your brain despite being super simple.

  10. #70
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    48,272
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    You should give something like Skull a go. It's all about bluffing successfully - it's what poker tries to be.
    Poker isn't really about bluffing though

    That's just how it's portrayed in fiction

  11. #71
    International 12th Man David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    6 nimmt is great too. As is arboretum but I have to be in the mood for that one since it'll annihilate your brain despite being super simple.
    Yes, "Oh, arboretum is simple, I'll just do this"
    Ten minutes later
    "My brain hurts"
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets
    .

  12. #72
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    41,651
    board games and cards are best when you're so drunk you can barely see the cards. the more drunk i am, the better i am at scum in particular.
    when the truth walks away, everybody stays because the truth about the world is that crime does pay #freeshri
    proudly supporting central districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  13. #73
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    41,651
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I ****ing hate board games. Nothing worse than when you want to spend your Friday/Saturday night getting drunk and shooting the **** or watching sport with mates, but you're invited to a "games night" instead.
    i do all at once in my flat.

  14. #74
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Your friends either play games which are too complicated or are terrible teachers.

    I could teach you a game like splendor very quickly and it's light enough that it's easy to play when you've had a couple.

    Then again, I regularly play new games and learn new rules sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    You should give something like Skull a go. It's all about bluffing successfully - it's what poker tries to be.
    I endorse Splendour, Skull and Coup mentioned above. All engaging, fairly replayable games without a steep learning curve.

    Picked up one the other week - That's So Clever - that is basically everything Yahtzee tried to be. Extremely good imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

  15. #75
    International Debutant MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,329
    I'm also heavily anti-board games, although it's more to do with the awkwardness of crowding around a board than the games themselves.

    Except 30 seconds. Just a terrible, terrible game all around.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Board Games
    By Nate in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22-05-2016, 11:45 PM
  2. Cricket board games
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 02:56 PM
  3. Cricket board games
    By Stefano in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 02:56 PM
  4. Cricket Board Games
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-06-2005, 10:30 AM
  5. Cricket Board Games
    By Stefano in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •