Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 177
Like Tree311Likes

Thread: Mental Health Thread

  1. #76
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,490
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    This is a bit pc-gone-mad for me. Some people are extremely resilient and that is what the term is describing.

    I also don't like this idea of artificially separating mental health from personality. I'm not saying that in order to shame people, I just think it's totally unhelpful to pretend that there is this great clinical divide between someone's actions and "them when they're themself". You are yourself - there is no separation between your body and your mind. You are you when you're well, you're also you when you're sick. Again, that's not an attempt to shame people, it's so that people can come to grips with reality: humans are not perfect nor rational, least of all our brains and behaviours.
    I get that is what the term is describing, as a term I just think it is necessarily negatively connoted. My role requires me to provide pastoral care to a significant number of students, all of whom are required to take tests to assess their susceptibility to mental health issues every year. A common grievance from those who do not score highly in terms of mental "strength" is that they feel the implication is that they are indirectly being accused of weakness. This is also a phenomenon that has been documented in the literature iirc, from the brief digging around I did a few years back. So whether it's PC gone mad or not, it is definitely a thing.

  2. #77
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,490
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Is that really true? Illness can make quite a difference in peoples behaviour and how they react to situations. You could argue that their reaction is part of them, but long term illness can change peoples behaviour significantly going into the future. And particularly when it comes to mental illness, long term depression is shown to change the chemical balances within the brain over time. There is clear physiological impacts to long term mental illnesses (and illness in general) that can change behaviour and the way you react to life.
    People aren't even themselves when they are hungry.

  3. #78
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18,147
    One way I tend to think of depression is in the vein that they let a person figure out, on a very up-close basis, all the things their minds are capable of if there is an imbalance in their lives (so, in a sense it is "them", but not a "true" representative regardless). How balancing different aspects of life - community, physical health, career, family, personal development etc - is what leads to being healthy.

    The same thing can be true when people are career focused and act in various "ill" ways that they look back in the future and wonder what the hell was up with that. The big difference between the two is that one is productive for the human race and the other is not, which makes a big difference in how we treat them as a society. Which isn't entirely unfair, of course, because productivity at least helps someone somewhere, even if it's hurting you.

    Bit of a ramble that.

    Corollary: Most people are capable of being a whole range of different people, for short time periods at least.
    zorax likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  4. #79
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,886
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Is that really true? Illness can make quite a difference in peoples behaviour and how they react to situations. You could argue that their reaction is part of them, but long term illness can change peoples behaviour significantly going into the future. And particularly when it comes to mental illness, long term depression is shown to change the chemical balances within the brain over time. There is clear physiological impacts to long term mental illnesses (and illness in general) that can change behaviour and the way you react to life.
    What chemical balances? This idea of a chemical imbalance in the brain is something that I do not believe has been proven (unless we're talking about epilepsy but that's a different thing). Sure, people who are depressed have less brain activity than people who are not depressed. That is not the same thing.

    IMO we need to accept that the range of human behaviours does not neatly separate out into things that a well person and things that an unwell person would do.
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

    - Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more


  5. #80
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,886
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I get that is what the term is describing, as a term I just think it is necessarily negatively connoted. My role requires me to provide pastoral care to a significant number of students, all of whom are required to take tests to assess their susceptibility to mental health issues every year. A common grievance from those who do not score highly in terms of mental "strength" is that they feel the implication is that they are indirectly being accused of weakness. This is also a phenomenon that has been documented in the literature iirc, from the brief digging around I did a few years back. So whether it's PC gone mad or not, it is definitely a thing.
    Oh right yes, I can totally see where you're coming from. That is very inappropriate use of the term.

    In real terms I'd imagine such a test is actually assessing who has the most social and financial support when **** hits the fan.

  6. #81
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,490
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Oh right yes, I can totally see where you're coming from. That is very inappropriate use of the term.

    In real terms I'd imagine such a test is actually assessing who has the most social and financial support when **** hits the fan.
    Yeah completely agree.

  7. #82
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    It takes a lot of mental energy and physical energy to fight against unwanted urges, the thoughts of suicide that can invade ones mind. I have times when I have been in a great mood, having fun for friends or similar and then suddenly the thoughts are there out of nowhere. Fighting against yourself, being scared of what you are thinking at times, day after day after day, it really wears you down. It was not all the time as far as years on end but definitely long periods when it was fighting just to dent the urges to end it all. I did this for far too long without getting the help I needed and now I am on medication it is helping a lot although. With the bad news I have been getting about my health it got on top of me briefly as I posted in this thread.

    When fighting against myself was and still is at times, it does not leave much left for anything else. To people outside it might seem like mental weakness but is it really?

  8. #83
    International Regular anil1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    It takes a lot of mental energy and physical energy to fight against unwanted urges, the thoughts of suicide that can invade ones mind. I have times when I have been in a great mood, having fun for friends or similar and then suddenly the thoughts are there out of nowhere. Fighting against yourself, being scared of what you are thinking at times, day after day after day, it really wears you down. It was not all the time as far as years on end but definitely long periods when it was fighting just to dent the urges to end it all. I did this for far too long without getting the help I needed and now I am on medication it is helping a lot although. With the bad news I have been getting about my health it got on top of me briefly as I posted in this thread.

    When fighting against myself was and still is at times, it does not leave much left for anything else. To people outside it might seem like mental weakness but is it really?
    It drains away all our energy when we are constantly in a state of depression and trying to convince ourselves that we are as good as any other normal human being on this planet. I've been in that state of depression for two and half decades and there were days when waking up, having food and taking shower were worth an achievement in itself. It takes **** loads of energy to feel normal only to go into a depressed state again in a matter of few days. And then the cycle continues, you are in a state of depression for 2-3 days and then feel normal for a day or two and back to being depressed. After so many years I am lucky to come out of my depression.

    @Test_Fan, maybe you could start looking at small things that you could do to give direction to your happiness? I know you might be 41 and unhealthy and have a feeling my life is over of sorts but there is a lot to look forward to. I mean the rest of your life matters too and why not make it a point to live it the way you want to?
    _Ed_ and andmark like this.

  9. #84
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    This is going to sound crazy, I know it sounds crazy, I think it is wrong. No, I know it is wrong, it is illogical, it just cannot be right. It is embarrassing, it is something I have never told anyone, but really I think I should tell my doctor seeing he is treating me for depression. So perhaps if I post it here anonymously then I might be able to say it in my real life.

    I believe, well part of me, or is it really me or is it not, that there is a world wide conspiracy of people who put voices in peoples head to torture them. It is crazy, it is wrong, I know it is not true but yet somehow I seem to believe it. I believe that when I get thoughts about death, urges to hurt or kill myself they are put there by other people. It is surely just a delusion, paranoia in the extreme, but part of me believes it. It just cannot be true, I am embarrassed that I think like this at all, that I seem to on some level accept it to be true when it patently just illogical nonsense.

    Perhaps I really am just crazy and need to be locked up.

  10. #85
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,572
    Well you've already dismissed that it's a consipiracy, so don't fall back on that. It isn't a consipiracy.

    It's possible that it's paranoia but it also sounds a bit like common intrusive thoughts, only you've attached a bit more meaning to those intrusive thoughts than they deserve, because you happen to be thinking about it a lot.

    Whatever you do about it, don't self-diagnose. Talk to a pro.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

  11. #86
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    This is going to sound crazy, I know it sounds crazy, I think it is wrong. No, I know it is wrong, it is illogical, it just cannot be right. It is embarrassing, it is something I have never told anyone, but really I think I should tell my doctor seeing he is treating me for depression. So perhaps if I post it here anonymously then I might be able to say it in my real life.

    I believe, well part of me, or is it really me or is it not, that there is a world wide conspiracy of people who put voices in peoples head to torture them. It is crazy, it is wrong, I know it is not true but yet somehow I seem to believe it. I believe that when I get thoughts about death, urges to hurt or kill myself they are put there by other people. It is surely just a delusion, paranoia in the extreme, but part of me believes it. It just cannot be true, I am embarrassed that I think like this at all, that I seem to on some level accept it to be true when it patently just illogical nonsense.

    Perhaps I really am just crazy and need to be locked up.
    A long time ago , I suffered from a serious bout of paranoid psychosis .Your troubles sound similar in tone . I wasted a lot of time trying to use rationality to dismiss my delusions . Looking back, I was trying to use a broken tool to fix itself . I see the more serious types of delusions to be essentially short circuits . There's nothing wrong with the underlying equipment , just an earthing problem . Isolate the short circuit , with medication or whatever , then start to move on . There is no shame in it , you would be surprised how many otherwise normal folk have a bout of hatstand crazy .

    For myself I took an anti-psychotic and an anti-depressant for a while . I basically decided to accept the basic thrust of my delusions for a short while ....so I didn''t end up doing endless rounds of mental gymnastics for months mulling over my delusions . My adopted attitude became 'maybe so ; but so what ? '. I took the pressure off myself and started focusing on purely escapist pleasures . I loved my cricket so I really got into a couple of series , I'd always wanted to write science fiction so I spent some time on that , nothing heavy just loads of reading and therapeutic exercises . In all aspects of my life I focused on stuff that gave me unconditional uncomplicated pleasure ...nothing serious in tone , nothing vitally important .

    One morning , I woke up better . I stopped taking the tablets and I haven't had anything similar since .I don't honestly think the tablets were much use longterm . They helped me sleep in the short term and enabled me to gloss over potentially stressful situations for a while ...but the 'fix' came from making my internal headspace a happy place .

    To this day , I avoid drama and losing my temper and bad blood etc to minimize the risk of triggering another bout of illness . It works for me I hope you find something that works for you .
    Last edited by PikeyB; 10-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    zorax and duffer like this.

  12. #87
    International Regular anil1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,080
    Its been a month now since I have been off medication and mentally it feels good. Barring an occasional mood swing I've been able to cope reasonably well. However its the physical aspects where I am struggling right now. I feel tired very easily and my eating habits seem to be the problem. It appears that I am not having enough intake of food as I should be plus my food timings are pretty bad, I tend to have every meal late.

    Current challenges:
    a) To ensure I get enough rest mentally and stop going into overdrive when it comes to my thoughts. Medication has just ensured that I got rid of the effect that all these years of Anxiety and Depression has had on me. But I need to remember that I will have to live with GAD for the rest of my life and now that I am aware of my condition I need to come up with tools/habits that can counter my anxiety. If I don't then there is this danger of me getting back into old habits and letting anxiety rule me.
    b) To get my food habits on track so that I don't feel lethargic.
    zorax and harsh.ag like this.

  13. #88
    International Regular anil1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,080
    "If I look back, I have always tried to be the best at everything, and I was always the best at everything," she says. "I was always that girl that played football with the boys because I was good enough. I was always picked first in anything that had to do with sport. And then, all of a sudden, dealing with the fact you weren't [following the 2016 World T20].

    "All the girls here [in the England team] know that I like to be a perfectionist at everything I do. Ultimately, that's probably the downfall. I know, rationally, that I cannot be perfect at everything. But at the time, and in that moment, my brain is going haywire because I'm not perfect or because I know being perfect is not possible.

    "When I look back, I can probably remember that if I wanted to be perfect at something, instead of trying it out and failing and learning, I would avoid it completely."

    'I couldn't handle being the best because the only way was down' | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

    Sarah Taylor talks about cricket and anxiety.
    zorax and harsh.ag like this.

  14. #89
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    My mental health has taken a huge negative turn in how paranoia has appeared in my life over the last couple of days.

    I am currently locked in my unit, windows covered and not able to go outside or allow others in to help me. Over the last couple of days I started blaming a colleague at work for putting thoughts in my head and being part of this group conspiracy I mentioned in my earlier post.

    I have come out of it largely but I do not know where to go from here. I am a mess.

  15. #90
    International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Would you like them here or there?
    Posts
    5,151
    If you can get yourself to work then what is stopping you picking up the phone and making an appointment with a GP and tell them what’s happening? Btw I saw your apology thread. No need take back anything you’ve said about sledger. Your initial thoughts were quite accurate.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 27-07-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    zorax likes this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Mental Health Day - October 10th 2017
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2017, 10:05 PM
  2. Mental health problems of cricketers.
    By Kirkut in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 28-03-2015, 12:07 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-02-2013, 01:48 AM
  4. The Health Thread
    By Days of Grace in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •