cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Mental Health Thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anil1405 View Post
    5 minutes at the start of the day....thats where I am losing my battle. I get sucked into **** early in the morning and half my day gets ruined. On the contrary as you said if we own the first 5 minutes then that will do us a lot of good. And how we spend the last 30 minutes before we sleep also plays a big part.

Your supermarket example is so apt for people with anxiety, we could be pumped up and happy one moment and then without a valid reason everything looks downwards all of a sudden.
    Do you find part of the problem at the start of a day is you get sucked into picking up your phone and checking emails/ the net/ social media etc? Just a question in general I suppose, I think sometimes we sort of never switch off, and I find if I'm feeling anxious then that sort of immediacy to mental stimulation isn't always a good thing. it's just so difficult to disconnect these days.

Anyway, I echo the thoughts of others who've said what a terrific thread this is, and I wish everyone who's posted in it all the best with whatever issues they're facing. None of you need any affirmation or vindication from me or anyone else on here, but imho you're all very brave, and good people.

Our little community at its best right here.
    Ausage, Kirkut and Son Of Coco like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Do you find part of the problem at the start of a day is you get sucked into picking up your phone and checking emails/ the net/ social media etc? Just a question in general I suppose, I think sometimes we sort of never switch off, and I find if I'm feeling anxious then that sort of immediacy to mental stimulation isn't always a good thing. it's just so difficult to disconnect these days.

Anyway, I echo the thoughts of others who've said what a terrific thread this is, and I wish everyone who's posted in it all the best with whatever issues they're facing. None of you need any affirmation or vindication from me or anyone else on here, but imho you're all very brave, and good people.

Yeah I wish I had the discipline to avoid doing this.. would save so much time. I was totally disconnected for a week on vacation and didn't really miss it TBH. Then again, this place is pretty much my entire online social media presence and forms a big part of my regular human interaction.. so I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    As test fan pointed out, encourage them to seek help and tell them how strong they are for battling their mental issues. Its not just the mental disorder but trying to put up a normal/happy face in front of everyone also eats up all your energy. So if there is someone who supports them through their journey that makes things easy. It is tough to empathise with them though, as you wouldn't understand what they are going through.

It is tough to think of what else you could say to them as the subject is so untouched in general, but there are many things you SHOULDN'T be telling them. To name a few:

- Things like just be positive and you will get through it. If it was that easy then they wouldn't be suffering with a disorder in the first place.
    - Its just in your head. This freaks them out.
    - You need to let it go.
    - I know how it feels to be depressed/anxious. Everyone feels depressed/stressed in life at some point but thats not the same as having a Mental Disorder. (I am posting a video below that differentiates between normal stress and having a Anxiety Disorder)
    - You always seem happy and cheerful, why do you think you feel the way you do.
    - You are probably just going through a bad phase

Helpful, thank you. Am married to someone who goes through periods of depression and these are definitely the things they should not be hearing.
    anil1405 likes this.
    And once the storm is over you wonít remember how you made it through,how you managed to survive. You wonít even be sure,in fact,whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you wonít be the same person who walked in. Haruki Murakami .

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    "It's just in your head" is one of the ****ing dumbest things to say anyway in any context. The abovementioned problems with it aside, just because something only exists in someone's head doesn't make it any less real ffs.
    vogue, Bijed, Kirkut and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Yeah I wish I had the discipline to avoid doing this.. would save so much time. I was totally disconnected for a week on vacation and didn't really miss it TBH. Then again, this place is pretty much my entire online social media presence and forms a big part of my regular human interaction.. so I dunno.
    It's good that your social media presence is restricted to CricketWeb. I either lurk here in CricketWeb or head to YouTube for music, I used to read a lot of philosophy online before but cut it down totally to minimize my daily screen time. I used to be a regular at Indiancricketfans website but recent political developments has polluted the otherwise friendly atmosphere there, CricketWeb for all the ban announcements and infractions for hilarious reasons has some of the sanest people you can find on the internet.

But I'd also say try finding a group outside the internet in the real world where you can meet people like yourself, minimum screen time is important, no screen time is the best.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkut View Post
    I share my personal experience - be kind to yourself, it's okay to slow down and avoid taking life seriously.

The root cause of this is the cut throat competitive culture we live in. Everyone wants to be an uber alpha like Harvey Specter all time, no one wants to be the beta mediocre. Very few accept that humans are imperfect.
    Yeah I've learnt to be kind to myself over the last year or two and spreading the same message to others. I have even taken a break of sorts now but the thing is I've been freelancing over the last few years and when there is no one around you at work it tends to get too boring and I lack inspiration.

Not that I like to compare myself with others (hate it) but I probably have too much expectations of myself and haven't found that zone yet where my expectations meet my reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

Absolutely get sucked into mobile first up. I guess this is a universal problem now but it gets worse for those with mental health issue.

Yeah switching off the mind is a big task at times. Its like you wake up with the problems you were thinking about before sleep. Not being present in the moment is also a common problem these days. People have their food thinking about something or meet other people and are not mentally present in that moment etc.

Absolutely get sucked into mobile first up. I guess this is a universal problem now but it gets worse for those with mental health issue.

Yeah switching off the mind is a big task at times. Its like you wake up with the problems you were thinking about before sleep. Not being present in the moment is also a common problem these days. People have their food thinking about something or meet other people and are not mentally present in that moment etc.
    Wrt the phone, changing the colour scheme to Monochromacy (greyscale) has been really helpful to me. Hope it works for you as well.
    anil1405 likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Exercise is definitely one of the best antidotes.
    Especially when you begin to understand what might be some of the root causes of anxiety. Definitely exerting physical energy can have huge benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Encourage them to get help and NEVER EVER SAY ANYTHING THAT MIGHT BE INTERPRETED AS INDICATING THEY SHOULD NOT GET HELP
    Like "I know how you're feeling, stop being depressed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Especially when you begin to understand what might be some of the root causes of anxiety. Definitely exerting physical energy can have huge benefits.
    Exercise is great but only temporarily solves the issue, it does not resolve emotional wounds.
    zorax likes this.

I'd also say to avoid videos like these:

The definition of mental toughness this video gives is that you must always invite trouble to yourself. It will make you fidgety.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    The problem with the term mental toughness is that it implies that anyone who isn't "mentally tough" is "mentally weak", which itself implies that anyone who struggles with mental health issues is weak or is suffering because there is something wrong with them etc.
    Kirkut likes this.

Seeings as others have given a stiff right hand to the stigma (and thank you for doing so), I guess I should be open as well. Since last year I've been on medication for anxiety and depression. There were physical symptoms as it were such as self-harm and a suicide attempt. It began with trouble with the student loans company in the UK who are incredibly difficult to work with ("you need this document"; andmark gives them that document; "oh no, we mean in this way") and escalated when needing to do the likes of 12,000 words of essays in a month. I've pretty much dropped out of the MA I was studying and feel generally better for it. Still though, I can understand how stories of students committing suicide can happen

Sorry, I don't mean to be dreary or dramatic but I guess I'm trying to stay within the open spirit of this thread; and thank you to everyone who has posted or liked posts in the thread. These types of discussions are a sign things are heading in the right way I'd like to think.
    sledger, _Ed_, Bijed and 12 others like this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Don't be sorrry lad. Thanks for sharing.
    andmark and vcs like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information