Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Mental Health Thread

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by anil1405 View Post

Jeez those names of cricketers at the end who committed suicide was surprising to know. Including Jonny Bairstow's dad.
    Thank you for posting this video
    anil1405 likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Not wishing to pry, but believing that it is possible to get "rid" of it is a huge hurdle to making progress.
    Kirkut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not wishing to pry, but believing that it is possible to get "rid" of it is a huge hurdle to making progress.
    The first step is acceptance. Accepting that you have it is tough but thats where the journey towards recovery begins. In the past I tried to push away my anxiety and depression and told myself I don't want this ****, but the more you do it the more you suffer. The moment the person accepts it and are self-aware of who they are is when they can start to deal with it. I can't speak on behalf of everyone but this was the case with me.

So my psychologist was like, let it come, invite it in and let it sit beside you while you continue to do your work. Strange as it may sound reading this, this is how it works. And in the longer run, its about fine tuning your energy and thoughts to not let it effect you. Its so difficult but end of the day has to be done.
    sledger, Maximas, vogue and 2 others like this.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Suffer from Pure-O OCD. It was utterly torturous until I got treatment. Now it is incredibly manageable and nothing more than an occasional annoyance rather than the existential torment of before.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Suffer from Pure-O OCD. It was utterly torturous until I got treatment. Now it is incredibly manageable and nothing more than an occasional annoyance rather than the existential torment of before.
    Good on you mate for getting treatment and great to know its well under control. How long have you suffered before you decided to get it treated? Don't mind me asking this but your experience could help other people who might be going through what you have in the past.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Went through an entirely self-inflicted period of depression/loneliness/inertia around the time when I first signed up on here.

I had gone abroad to do Masters in CS, failed miserably (which was mostly my own fault), cut myself off from everyone I knew over there, eventually abandoned the idea and returned home. Then I had a period where I struggled to motivate myself to do anything, appear for job interviews etc. as my confidence was pretty much shattered at that point.

Finally, got into teaching, did that for a few years, gradually recovered my confidence, and then finally an opportunity opened up at my current company. Fortunately I'd worked here with the same manager that I now work with, prior to the Masters debacle, so he was willing to hire me. Things have been going well since that point onwards, thankfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Went through an entirely self-inflicted period of depression/loneliness/inertia around the time when I first signed up on here.

I had gone abroad to do Masters in CS, failed miserably (which was mostly my own fault), cut myself off from everyone I knew over there, eventually abandoned the idea and returned home. Then I had a period where I struggled to motivate myself to do anything, appear for job interviews etc. as my confidence was pretty much shattered at that point.

Finally, got into teaching, did that for a few years, gradually recovered my confidence, and then finally an opportunity opened up at my current company. Fortunately I'd worked here with the same manager that I now work with, prior to the Masters debacle, so he was willing to hire me. Things have been going well since that point onwards, thankfully.
    The mere fact that you have come out of that phase is awesome. And if you have done that on your own then hats off.
    Arachnodouche likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    My parents supported me the whole time, financially and emotionally, so not on my own. But yeah, relieved to be past that time. For a while, I struggled to even tell people about how things went wrong over there and I would try to brush the whole thing under the carpet. Now I don't.

Even though the teaching thing was a career diversion adding no real value to what I do right now, it was exactly what I needed at that time because I needed to feel that I was helping students and making some sort of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    My parents supported me the whole time, financially and emotionally, so not on my own. But yeah, relieved to be past that time. For a while, I struggled to even tell people about how things went wrong over there and I would try to brush the whole thing under the carpet. Now I don't.

Even though the teaching thing was a career diversion adding no real value to what I do right now, it was exactly what I needed at that time because I needed to feel that I was helping students and making some sort of difference.
    As the saying goes, you help yourself by helping others.

Just give it a little tappy, a little tap tap-aroo.
    Not an authority, but as someone that lives with both anxiety and depression, mainly stemming from a traumatic experience when my brother committed suicide (but it was noticeable in my mid teens, too) - the only methods that seem to improve anxiety, or at least stop it from getting worse for me are:

- Actively training myself to not identity with my thoughts (occupying a higher consciousness and just observing what's being said in my mind, not casting any good/bad judgement on them, just observing.).

- Meditating. Trying not to think at all for at least 5 minutes at the start of the day. Makes me reinforce that it's more important to live in the now rather than identify with thoughts of the past or other triggers for the anxiety. Actively cutting off negative thoughts and throwing them away, like when a subtitle line ends with a "-".

- Being physically shattered through exercise or some other form of hard work, so that I'm too tired to think at a thousand miles a second.

- Being in a highly social environment all day (not a particularly stressful one, let's say working outside with some people that you know well) can basically shift what's needed to trigger the anxiety compared to if you were isolated from others for that same time period.

Although, yeah, I'd probably classify most of that stuff as "not making it worse" more so than "improving", but all combined and done every day - it can genuinely make things better, I think. Staying in your room all night, not tidying up, eating crap, not exercising, etc. are basically shortcuts to a terrible time. I guess the killer thing with anxiety is that it's a completely irrational response. You could be having your best day of the last month, but now you are shaking in a supermarket check-out. You've done some crazy brave things in your life, why the ever-loving **** does this situation constitute a problem or even register as a stressful event for the mind?

Yeah, not fun. Good luck and good thread, anil.
    sledger, Flem274*, vogue and 5 others like this.

Exercise is definitely one of the best antidotes.
    zorax likes this.
    cricket rules brah

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    i admire the courage and honesty of everyone who has put it all out there in this thread
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i admire the courage and honesty of everyone who has put it all out there in this thread
    Yes, me too.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah this is a great thread. Really liking anil’s posts especially. Hope we’re not ruining it now that half the posts are pointing out how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Not an authority, but as someone that lives with both anxiety and depression, mainly stemming from a traumatic experience when my brother committed suicide (but it was noticeable in my mid teens, too) - the only methods that seem to improve anxiety, or at least stop it from getting worse for me are:

- Actively training myself to not identity with my thoughts (occupying a higher consciousness and just observing what's being said in my mind, not casting any good/bad judgement on them, just observing.).

- Meditating. Trying not to think at all for at least 5 minutes at the start of the day. Makes me reinforce that it's more important to live in the now rather than identify with thoughts of the past or other triggers for the anxiety. Actively cutting off negative thoughts and throwing them away, like when a subtitle line ends with a "-".

- Being physically shattered through exercise or some other form of hard work, so that I'm too tired to think at a thousand miles a second.

- Being in a highly social environment all day (not a particularly stressful one, let's say working outside with some people that you know well) can basically shift what's needed to trigger the anxiety compared to if you were isolated from others for that same time period.

Although, yeah, I'd probably classify most of that stuff as "not making it worse" more so than "improving", but all combined and done every day - it can genuinely make things better, I think. Staying in your room all night, not tidying up, eating crap, not exercising, etc. are basically shortcuts to a terrible time. I guess the killer thing with anxiety is that it's a completely irrational response. You could be having your best day of the last month, but now you are shaking in a supermarket check-out. You've done some crazy brave things in your life, why the ever-loving **** does this situation constitute a problem or even register as a stressful event for the mind?

Yeah, not fun. Good luck and good thread, anil.
    5 minutes at the start of the day....thats where I am losing my battle. I get sucked into **** early in the morning and half my day gets ruined. On the contrary as you said if we own the first 5 minutes then that will do us a lot of good. And how we spend the last 30 minutes before we sleep also plays a big part.

Your supermarket example is so apt for people with anxiety, we could be pumped up and happy one moment and then without a valid reason everything looks downwards all of a sudden.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information