Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Death and Taxes

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar

Death and Taxes

So, a colleague of mine in his mid 50's was diagnosed with cancer 3 months ago. 2 days ago he died. He was an integral part of our team and a key linkage to everything we do. He'd particularly worked his arse off for the last 3 years. And now, just like that, he's gone. He walked his daughter down the aisle 2 months ago, and now, just like that. Gone.

It's got me thinking what's the ****ing point of everything we do and the hours we give to work and unimportant stresses like council regulations and sub clause 3 relating to the ratio of lavatories needed for when a crowd is expecting x percentage of children to be present. Just gone.

Anyway I just needed to vent a little and thought a serious thread about one of life's certainties may provide a platform for others with frustrations/thoughts similar to my own.

Thank you for your time.

Death sucks. Choose life. Live it.
    Magrat Garlick and trundler like this.
    Parmi

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    I thought that this was a Slippy888 thread.

Carry on

Change the thread title to 'existential angst' - and then we can make this a fascinating philosophical discussion

We are like a spec of dust in this ocean of space and time...
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    It's got me thinking what's the ****ing point of everything we do and the hours we give to work and unimportant stresses like council regulations and sub clause 3 relating to the ratio of lavatories needed for when a crowd is expecting x percentage of children to be present. Just gone.
    It's a damn good question ripper.

I don't have a damn good answer, but I do feel that spending time prioritising the way in which you allocate yourself is something we as modern humans don't do very well. We're far too imbalanced towards valuing money, professional achievement and even personal pleasure as the scorecards that matter above all others. While it is something of a value judgement, I think that's categorically the wrong way to weight it.

Unfortunately it can take a tragedy or major life event to really bring that squarely into our focus.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Tournaments Won: 1
    The reason to exist is existence itself. For all the bad stuff, most people quite enjoy living. That's why we do it.

Our desire for a deeper meaning is born out of the intrinsic effect religion has had on our ideological mindsets, combined with our evolved critical cognition that animals fail to rival.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Our desire for a deeper meaning is born out of the intrinsic effect religion has had on our ideological mindsets
    I think it's the opposite, i.e. spirituality is born out of our intrinsic desire for a deeper meaning.
    Ausage, Victor Ian, Daemon and 1 others like this.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    I think it's the opposite, i.e. spirituality is born out of our intrinsic desire for a deeper meaning.
    That's a fair point, actually. I think it functions as a cycle of sorts: spirituality is born out of a desire for meaning; then our spirituality justifies the idea that there must be a deeper meaning, so we continue to seek it.

Cancer sucks. Lost me muvver to it a little over three years ago. Was 71, so not young but not ancient either.

I think the late, great Peter Cook summed cancer up best:

"I'm going to go out shitting myself with fear and ****ing cancer that God so kindly provided. Without that, we wouldn't have a way to die would we? ****ing good of him not to torment us with being eternally young and being able to **** everyone - no, he gave us this great gift of ****ing cancer. I wouldn't have thought of that if I'd been creating a universe, would you? Bung in cancer? No, I'd have left that out."
    Uppercut likes this.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    So, a colleague of mine in his mid 50's was diagnosed with cancer 3 months ago. 2 days ago he died. He was an integral part of our team and a key linkage to everything we do. He'd particularly worked his arse off for the last 3 years. And now, just like that, he's gone. He walked his daughter down the aisle 2 months ago, and now, just like that. Gone.

Anyway I just needed to vent a little and thought a serious thread about one of life's certainties may provide a platform for others with frustrations/thoughts similar to my own.

Thank you for your time.

Death sucks. Choose life. Live it.
    I must say that I have been fretting over a presentation that is coming up on Friday. For some reason i find this post oddly comforting. The damned presentation doesn't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things. This too shall pass.

Sucks to hear of your friend. I have thought of this often and I think Ausage has a point that we probably have the weights all wrong for the important things in life.
    vcs likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    "Oh well, it'll be over with one way or another one hour/day/week/month etc. from now" is basically how I view all things in life that I don't enjoy tbh. Or at least I try to anyway.

That said. Falling into the trap of allowing these things to cause you horrible stress is very easy. Being able to "step back" and see things for what they are and what is important in life etc., on the other hand, is not easy at all. For people without a good network of friends and family and/or financial stability it will probably often be literally impossible.

Stresses associated with work, PhD, and general life stuff have all really got to me over the last few years. It actually got to the stage not so long ago that it was actually beginning to make me physically unwell, and when I look in the mirror these days I look (to me anyway) considerably older than I did just 2 or 3 years prior. It dawned on me not long ago that I really needed to get a handle on things and try to take a step back, otherwise some long-term direness may have been on the cards.

Yeah, I think it's necessary to always have, in the back of the mind at least, an awareness of the more enjoyable things in life and to pursue them whenever you can. It strikes me as some sort of dystopian viewpoint if you forget about these things in the duldrums of mundane work. As Sledger alludes to, university can be bad for this stuff and I hope Trundler takes seriously the need for things outside of it as I believe he intends to study.
    trundler likes this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    "Oh well, it'll be over with one way or another one hour/day/week/month etc. from now" is basically how I view all things in life that I don't enjoy tbh. Or at least I try to anyway.

That said. Falling into the trap of allowing these things to cause you horrible stress is very easy. Being able to "step back" and see things for what they are and what is important in life etc., on the other hand, is not easy at all. For people without a good network of friends and family and/or financial stability it will probably often be literally impossible.

Stresses associated with work, PhD, and general life stuff have all really got to me over the last few years. It actually got to the stage not so long ago that it was actually beginning to make me physically unwell, and when I look in the mirror these days I look (to me anyway) considerably older than I did just 2 or 3 years prior. It dawned on me not long ago that I really needed to get a handle on things and try to take a step back, otherwise some long-term direness may have been on the cards.
    This.

Biggest stress relief is I have no dependants. Saddest part of my life, is I have no dependants.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Whenever I hear people talk about this sort of stuff I remember a plaque on top of table mountain that reads.

"Time is one of life's most precious gifts"
    And the truth is that time is the only truly limited resource in life. (Trite I know)

International Regular chasingthedon's Avatar
    I have two books specifically about mortality, "Mortality" by Christopher Hitchens and "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande. Haven't read either yet, hoping to get to them before, you know - anyone here read them?.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    It's a damn good question ripper.

I don't have a damn good answer, but I do feel that spending time prioritising the way in which you allocate yourself is something we as modern humans don't do very well. We're far too imbalanced towards valuing money, professional achievement and even personal pleasure as the scorecards that matter above all others. While it is something of a value judgement, I think that's categorically the wrong way to weight it.

Unfortunately it can take a tragedy or major life event to really bring that squarely into our focus.
    Your signature says "too many bones, not enough cash".
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information