Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    Your signature says "too many bones, not enough cash".
    Have you seen the prices offered by CASHBONES though?
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    "Oh well, it'll be over with one way or another one hour/day/week/month etc. from now" is basically how I view all things in life that I don't enjoy tbh. Or at least I try to anyway.

That said. Falling into the trap of allowing these things to cause you horrible stress is very easy. Being able to "step back" and see things for what they are and what is important in life etc., on the other hand, is not easy at all. For people without a good network of friends and family and/or financial stability it will probably often be literally impossible.

Stresses associated with work, PhD, and general life stuff have all really got to me over the last few years. It actually got to the stage not so long ago that it was actually beginning to make me physically unwell, and when I look in the mirror these days I look (to me anyway) considerably older than I did just 2 or 3 years prior. It dawned on me not long ago that I really needed to get a handle on things and try to take a step back, otherwise some long-term direness may have been on the cards.
    Haha, sometimes I feel I'm all too ready to take that step back and let the stress dissipate.

It's hurt me in some parts of my life that I regret. If I continued to stress out at certain points I may have made some better decisions that would have put me in a happier place.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Haha, sometimes I feel I'm all too ready to take that step back and let the stress dissipate.

It's hurt me in some parts of my life that I regret. If I continued to stress out at certain points I may have made some better decisions that would have put me in a happier place.
    The problem is, is that it is easier said than done 99 tines out of 100.

I realised I was taking my work home with me every day, working very long hours at home, and at weekends etc. and not really taking the time to actually do anything I enjoyed. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was making me actively unhappy, but I was definitely not very happy either. Since realising this, I've tried, somewhat successfully, to take a "there are more important things in life than work" attitude, and made more of an effort to actually live rather than just exist.

The problem, however, is that, like nearly every other person, one needs to work to be able to exist. Saying "it's only a job" doesn't take away from the fact that without that job a person will not have the income needed to support a home or any kind of lifestyle. This is particularly true in target-driven occupations (including mine, I suppose), where you either hit your targets or your job will be in jepoardy.

I have managed to negotiate that stumbling block by adopting a "well, fortunately I am white, male, well-educated, middle class, and have a very supportive family, and so whatever happens to me it will probably work out fine one way or another" attitude. There are plenty of people out there who do not have this sort of fallback though (obviously). Telling people who are worried about these sorts of things to "not worry", or that "there are more important things in life" etc. etc. can be about as much use as telling someone with depression to cheer up, it's often just not as simple as that.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Biggest stress relief is I have no dependants. Saddest part of my life, is I have no dependants.
    I sometimes wonder how life would be so peaceful if I were on my own and just worrying about myself. Then I get that peace sometimes when the wife takes the kids to her parents' house for a week and I sit around in my underwear and play games or read a book. I love it. Then about 2 days in I start getting lonely and start sleeping with my daughter's blankie. Having a family is weird man.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 09-04-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    Ausage, cpr, StephenZA and 1 others like this.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Ive always had this fear that as soon as my life is where I want it to be (marriage, kids or buying a house) I'll get diagnosed with cancer lol

Life is a dice roll and there's not a lot you can do about it
    cricket rules brah

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Life ie never just where you want it to be though. It's a trap to believe that such a state of being actually exists

Since the thread title invited it:

Taxation is theft.
    Ausage likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Taxation is theft.
    Solid contribution.

Evil Scotsman
    The problem is, is that it is easier said than done 99 tines out of 100.

I realised I was taking my work home with me every day, working very long hours at home, and at weekends etc. and not really taking the time to actually do anything I enjoyed. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was making me actively unhappy, but I was definitely not very happy either. Since realising this, I've tried, somewhat successfully, to take a "there are more important things in life than work" attitude, and made more of an effort to actually live rather than just exist.

The problem, however, is that, like nearly every other person, one needs to work to be able to exist. Saying "it's only a job" doesn't take away from the fact that without that job a person will not have the income needed to support a home or any kind of lifestyle. This is particularly true in target-driven occupations (including mine, I suppose), where you either hit your targets or your job will be in jepoardy.

I have managed to negotiate that stumbling block by adopting a "well, fortunately I am white, male, well-educated, middle class, and have a very supportive family, and so whatever happens to me it will probably work out fine one way or another" attitude. There are plenty of people out there who do not have this sort of fallback though (obviously). Telling people who are worried about these sorts of things to "not worry", or that "there are more important things in life" etc. etc. can be about as much use as telling someone with depression to cheer up, it's often just not as simple as that.
    I went to a 4 day week a year and a half ago; I've genuinely worked 1 Monday since October 2017.

Part of me worries that I have it too cushty when it comes to my working hours to progress; but at the same time I earn enough to pay my mortgage and have a modest standard of living. It's allowed me to spend far more time with my daughter than would have been possible working a 5 day week.

Next step is to somehow reduce my hours (I still work 35 hours a week) whilst still being self sufficient.

Taxation is theft.
    i agree, death is theft (of life) as well...

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar

Taxation is theft.
    Profits are theft.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Profits are theft.
    Take it to the death and profits thread.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Take it to the death and profits thread.
    I thought this was the marketplace of ideas!

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Solid contribution.
    tip him one (1) solidus otherwise he hacks the servers again.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Dan
    Taxation is theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Profits are theft.
    Property is theft.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Prince EWS you are a ****ing piece of ****, I hope you die soon.
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information