cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: The Last Jedi

Seems like people haven't seen the video where Hamill literally says he fundamentally disagrees with everything about what has been done to his character.

I for one think he's wrong, trying to murder his sister's son was not a far cry at all.

Thou shalt not profane the holy church of Luke Skywalker, noted for being an extremely strictly defined character throughout the series

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Thou shalt not profane the holy church of Luke Skywalker, noted for being an extremely strictly defined character throughout the series
    Just because they didn't flesh him out to his rawest bones doesn't mean he wasn't consistent.

He had one or two new attributes in ROJ, but the core was the same. Nu-Luke seems like fanfic, I guess with rejecting all of Lucas's sequel ideas this was bound to happen even further. Bruce Jenner's transition doesn't even compare. Here we have gone from a bloke who was willing to see the good in his father, a man famed for the slaughter of children, sand people and their children, to a guy who saw the hint of bad in his sister and best friend's son and deciding slaughtering him in his sleep was a good idea.

At least Anakin had an excuse to honour the memory of Gilles de Rais.
    NotMcKenzie likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    Some comment online made the point that Kylo's shirtless seduction attempt is literally a Dennis from It's Always Sunny move.

Now I wish they'd cast Glenn Howerton as Kylo.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If you follow Rotten Tomatoes at all, it already has the equal lowest ranking of any SW movie (tied with aotc) so it isn't just me.
    what are you talking about? rotten tomatoes has them at 93%...it is the highest of all star wars movies along with the force awakens...
    Last edited by Anil; 17-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    what are you talking about? rotten tomatoes has them at 93%...it is the highest of all star wars movies along with the force awakens...
    That is the critics' rating. He means the public. Essentially the critics like it and the viewing public hate it. I've never seen something that divisive between the critics and public, well not since a particularly bad Metallica album got good reviews by the music journos and a turkey promptly fell on our lap! Even Kermode likes The Last Jedi.
    Last edited by S.Kennedy; 17-12-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    That is the critics' rating. He means the public. Essentially the critics like it and the viewing public hate it. I've never seen something that divisive between the critics and public, well not since a particularly bad Metallica album got good reviews by the music journos and a turkey promptly fell on our lap! Even Kermode likes The Last Jedi.
    nope go back and read the post i was responding to...he meant the rotten tomatoes rating...also saying the viewing public hates it is just misleading...the opinions out there are just very divided...some love it, some think it is pretty good but doesn't live up to the hype, some think it is meh and others hate it...in short it's like the viewing public for any popular franchise...

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    RT also has an audience rating.

What's interesting is the disparity between the critics score and the audience score, I feel like it's unusually big.

Even Ghostbusters didn't have the same differential, and that was one where the divide between critics and audience was obvious just from the most cursory glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    nope go back and read the post i was responding to...he meant the rotten tomatoes rating...also saying the viewing public hates it is just misleading...the opinions out there are just very divided...some love it, some think it is pretty good but doesn't live up to the hype, some think it is meh and others hate it...in short it's like the viewing public for any popular franchise...
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta...dience_reviews

On the left is the critics' (tomatometer) and on the right the audience's opinion, 93% and 56% respectively. That is a whopping differential.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    IMDB is at 7.9, audience metascore is at 4.9, and a fairly negative audience rotten tomatoes score. That said, these services are very easy to manipulate on the audience score front so they're always worth taking with a grain of salt. It's definitely a subversive bit of Star Wars cinema, so it could annoy fans, it also has enough shoe horned diversity that can trigger 4chan voting blocs. At the end of the day its no biggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Critics can be manipulated if they are on payola also.

Critics can be manipulated if they are on payola also.
    Extremely unlikely though, these companies will invite critics to a showing, they'll give them free booze, some free merch and some free food and thats all they'll really bother with. Most of these critics are associated with actual media outlets, many are rivals of the Disney conglomerate. If you reckon they've got a secret payment system going on to get 5 stars from the Tampa Bay Times then power to you mate.

I'd assume that most critics enjoy the subversion and boldness of the direction it takes Star Wars. Seems like a lot of critics are talking about it like Howe has on here, unless you think Mickey has gotten to him too. I'd personally rate it around 7.5/10 or so

Empire Strikes Back ATG Tier
    New Hope
    -
    Rogue One ATG Great Sci Fi/Fantasy tier
    Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    -
    Return of the Jedi
    The Revenge of the Sith
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    The Phantom Menace Not terrible tier
    Attack of the Clones
    -
    -
    -
    -

-
    Ewok Christmas Special Why do you exist, please god stop tier

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Extremely unlikely though, these companies will invite critics to a showing, they'll give them free booze, some free merch and some free food and thats all they'll really bother with. Most of these critics are associated with actual media outlets, many are rivals of the Disney conglomerate. If you reckon they've got a secret payment system going on to get 5 stars from the Tampa Bay Times then power to you mate.

I'd assume that most critics enjoy the subversion and boldness of the direction it takes Star Wars. Seems like a lot of critics are talking about it like Howe has on here, unless you think Mickey has gotten to him too. I'd personally rate it around 7.5/10 or so

Empire Strikes Back ATG Tier
    New Hope
    -
    Rogue One ATG Great Sci Fi/Fantasy tier
    Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    -
    Return of the Jedi
    The Revenge of the Sith
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    The Phantom Menace Not terrible tier
    Attack of the Clones
    -
    -
    -
    -

-
    Ewok Christmas Special Why do you exist, please god stop tier
    Ain't It Cool claimed Last Jedi was ''better than Empire Strikes Back''. On the Disney payroll - definitely.
    adub likes this.

Ain't It Cool claimed Last Jedi was ''better than Empire Strikes Back''. On the Disney payroll - definitely.
    So did Howe. Critics are also capable of being seduced by the hype, or you know, having different opinions.

why are people so bothered by some people liking a thing
    _Ed_ and NZTailender like this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information