Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The discrimination thread

The discrimination thread

I know this could be opening a can of worms. I hope people can discuss rationally and not have the thread closed down. I'm curious about which countries are most discriminatory.
    In Australia we discriminate, often calling it humor. It is the minority that truly discriminates as most aussies will befriend anyone. I hear the US is terrible, but imagine their people are similar. It seems the Saudi discriminate, against everyone that is not Saudi much as their neighbour's over in Israel do even when their religion is the same.
    My point is, that my experience in many countries is that if you are willing to try their customs, all people will embrace you. If you are not, then the discrimination is actually fear of the unknown, which I feel is kind of understandable.
    Who has experiences of discrimination that they can tar a whole people with?
    Now be reasonable.... give your experiences but don't get an infraction.

International 12th Man
    I discriminate against short people. From anecdotal evidence they tend to be malicious and nasty. You can say I'm a heightist but I'm changing after looking myself at the mirror.
    zorax and Fred Tetanus like this.

Australians are all crooks/cheats/drunks/lawyers with no exceptions IMO
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I only choose to eat green apples.
    vcs and Prince EWS like this.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

International Regular the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    I know this could be opening a can of worms. I hope people can discuss rationally and not have the thread closed down. .
    I hope we can throw lighted matches on dry tinder doused in kero on hot summer's day with the wind blowing a gale without starting a bushfire.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I hope we can throw lighted matches on dry tinder doused in kero on hot summer's day with the wind blowing a gale without starting a bushfire.
    So I'm an optimist. Maybe the wind can blow the matches out.

I have an agenda, and that is to conclude that people are not inheritantly racist, rather it often appears so because of misinformation. Instead of just copping racism on the chin I should rather confront it and break down barriers. People are inheritantly good (most of them) and just need a prod to change irrational fears.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    But seriously, **** red apples.
    Shri and Howe_zat like this.

A big no to post And Justice For all.. Metallica
    Scarlett likes this.

International Captain
    I have had runs in with a few ppl of different races.
    Don't have anything against those races,I take ppl as they are.
    We have all told racist jokes or racist comments.
    I know that its not acceptable,not proud of it.
    Have seen people of other cultures,could give examples.But somehow its more respectable,if a person of another race is racist.I just don't get it.

Yes I have been called a white ****.
    Shrugged it off,what can you do.
    I think the best thing is to be intro spective about youself.
    I take this note as an example.I swear.Try not too.But am intro spective,and try 2 end this habit.
    BTW love Justice for all,magic album.
    Last edited by brockley; 11-12-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    So I'm an optimist. Maybe the wind can blow the matches out.

I have an agenda, and that is to conclude that people are not inheritantly racist, rather it often appears so because of misinformation. Instead of just copping racism on the chin I should rather confront it and break down barriers. People are inheritantly good (most of them) and just need a prod to change irrational fears.
    I think people are inherently good and inherently distrustful of people from other communities/cultures

Tribal mentality is embedded in our DNA. If we don't use race, religion or nationality to divide ourselves, we use which sports team we support or which political ideology we believe in. If not that, then which brands we support or which apples we choose to eat.

We identify ourselves with a group, we turn conflicts into an us vs them scenario, and then we go to war. We discriminate and judge against those who aren't on our team. Its just what we do man. Its who we are. You can't change that.

International Captain
    Zorax you make relevant points.
    I had hardly interactions with people outside the white cell apart from aboriginals,who I had good interactions at school.In Brisbane,I learnt some Moaris like to fight,I was quick not 2 disrespect them.
    Then I went to uni,made friends of different cultures,even found some of the Chinese,and Malaysian women quite alluring.
    I still struggle with different races I guess,but anyone I meet I treat them with respect.
    As I said introspection is illuminating.Whether you get that from religion,or through just damn choice.

I have been disrespected from ppl from other cultures its not nice,however on the other side of the coin have great memories of interacting with ppl of other races and countries.
    3 weeks ago i had a scare thought I had a minor stroke,shock me up,while waiting at the 24/7 from my friend 2 pick me up I had an illluminating conversation with a kid from Nepal(when I say kid he was 19/20),we talked cricket and culture,it was great.
    Don't sell yourself short Zorax.
    Last edited by brockley; 11-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.

zorax is right about the "winning" mentality. As long as you're focused on winning, you will find yourself making divisions and creating enemies to defeat. Changing it to a "win-win" mentality almost instantly makes you a better person to everyone you meet.
    zorax and Victor Ian like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Meh, I have spent 27 years in India and can easily say that the place is racist as ****. But its still home and you can't hate home completely though, even if you hate certain qualities of it.

My current boss is an Asian immigrant and is not bad. My manager is turkish australian and he's a buddhist and is an awesome guy. My other two colleagues are Italian and Thai and they are swell as well. Maybe I need to spend more time here to see any of that infamous aussie racism. But until now, it has been a great place to live in.
    Last edited by Shri; 12-12-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    vogue, hendrix and YorksLanka like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

International Captain
    1 thing I hate about Chinese,are they are so damn honest.
    Remember 1 of my Chinese Aussie friends saying,why are you so fat?

I heard this saying from somewhere in my dealings with others.

me versus my brother.
    my brother and i versus our cousins
    our cousins and i versus the other families
    our families versus the town
    our town versus the country
    our country versus the world.

At first, it sounds combative. I like it. In a nutshell, everyone is closest to who they are closest to and unite against bigger problems, even if they squabble over little things between them. All we need is Martians, and then not too long after, Andromedians.

There is nothing wrong with difference, nor in acknowledging difference and even wanting to maintain difference. The golden rule cuts through all discrimination without needing everyone to be the same. So where does it come from? Is it a terrible byproduct of nationalism? Leaders would have people unite behind them and the basest way to do this is to make themselves feel superior and possibly even detest others as lower beings. Politicians are now unable to do anything but pander to this idea of Nationalism. Our TV does this on a daily basis too.

Is it purely from distrust? Why are we so distrustful? It is hard to trust someone when you know you are a **** yourself - you view everyone through your own filter. Is trust hard because we are stupid and focus on the 1% who are bad rather than the 99% who are good. Is trust hard because we are not humble? Is the modern trend to inflate ones ego the cause of discrimination?

Just some thoughts. It's always something I'm interested in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information