cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The discrimination thread

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    Zorax's idea of the winning idea is a weird one for me to get. My best friends all support different teams but we get along well. However, get a large group of people who support a particular thing and suddenly they become a mob of ****s. Is discrimination a numbers thing? Somehow, it doesn't really come out until numbers swell. Mob mentality is very dangerous because somehow it infects people to stop thinking as they usually do.

International Captain
    Here's 1, a Muslim electrician did my electricity at the house I was in Wollongong,before moving 2 Coota.
    He was friendly we had a good chat and he said catch him in Young.
    I didn't.I really didn't know him.And it may have been paranoia got the better of me.
    Was that a racist thing to do?

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think people are inherently good and inherently distrustful of people from other communities/cultures

Tribal mentality is embedded in our DNA. If we don't use race, religion or nationality to divide ourselves, we use which sports team we support or which political ideology we believe in. If not that, then which brands we support or which apples we choose to eat.

We identify ourselves with a group, we turn conflicts into an us vs them scenario, and then we go to war. We discriminate and judge against those who aren't on our team. Its just what we do man. Its who we are. You can't change that.
    I agree with most of this post,l but I think we can change , it just does take time.
    Wars have been lost and relationships have been ruined and careers have been ended because someone was too proud to change their approach when needed. Screw pride. Be adaptable. GD

We demand closure as though our lives were put together as neatly as novels, but the fact of the matter is they’re not. In real life, relationships are messy and poorly written, ending too early or too late, and sometimes in the middle of a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    Zorax's idea of the winning idea is a weird one for me to get. My best friends all support different teams but we get along well. However, get a large group of people who support a particular thing and suddenly they become a mob of ****s. Is discrimination a numbers thing? Somehow, it doesn't really come out until numbers swell. Mob mentality is very dangerous because somehow it infects people to stop thinking as they usually do.
    it depends whats at stake. If there is nothing gained or lost then no one is going to hate each other based on any of these classifiers. But what if how much you earn is now somehow tied into your sports team. What if that now controls your opportunities at work, your access to food and shelter, or worse, your ego and identity?

It doesn't even actually have to affect you in any real sense - you just have to perceive that it affects you ("those damn immigrants are stealing our jobs!"). Once your team is losing something of value to the other team, you begin rooting against them and fighting for your own...and thats where the troubles start.
    Victor Ian likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

I lived in Singapore for a few years and most rental ads strictly say "No Indian" Being Sri Lankan I often get lumped with the Indians (something a lot of Sri Lankan's don't particularly like to begin with)

I found this open racism quite strange..I think it was the first time I've experienced anything that to be honest. But the more I lived there I more I learned that most Singaporean Chinese are generally racist towards the Indians and look down on them due to the lower level of their economic circumstances..Yet somehow when they are doing well they all get along.

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    Here's 1, a Muslim electrician did my electricity at the house I was in Wollongong,before moving 2 Coota.
    He was friendly we had a good chat and he said catch him in Young.
    I didn't.I really didn't know him.And it may have been paranoia got the better of me.
    Was that a racist thing to do?
    not at all. the Aussie guy who cleaned my pool said to catch him at the pub. I didn't really know him. I didn't go even though I indicated I might. That is just politeness.

International Captain
    Um
    On foreigners taking jobs,saying that is that racist?
    Australia has 200,00 migrants a year+ 5% unemployment.
    Of those 200 thou,officially only 100 thou have jobs.
    Now this doesn't count illegal work,or unsanctioned work,cash under the table.
    BTW Big Business is the only 1 who likes too much immigration,as it means more consumers.

Thanks Victor,I know via experience its not too good 2 trust strangers.
    I did have worries,that it all could go wrong.
    That said have had Muslim friends previous,but knew them well,

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vitalogy83 View Post
    I lived in Singapore for a few years and most rental ads strictly say "No Indian" Being Sri Lankan I often get lumped with the Indians (something a lot of Sri Lankan's don't particularly like to begin with)

I found this open racism quite strange..I think it was the first time I've experienced anything that to be honest. But the more I lived there I more I learned that most Singaporean Chinese are generally racist towards the Indians and look down on them due to the lower level of their economic circumstances..Yet somehow when they are doing well they all get along.
    Yeah this is something very real here.

Unfortunately there have been incidents where Indian tenants have illegally sublet their rooms, overcrowded them and left them a lot worse upon leaving. There is also a perception that Mainland Chinese tenants do not clean up and leave apartments in poor conditions when they leave (the listings usually show "No PRCs/Indians"). The older folk who own and rent out these properties tend to be more racist and just assume renting to Indians and Chinese is a bad idea.

I've got lots of friends from India who upon graduation had to move out of uni, and faced a lot of discrimination when looking for places to rent. Some would just contact those that said "No Indians" anyways and slip in a bit of singlish here and there. The landlords were usually more comfortable once they found out that you were a bit more 'naturalised'.

It's really quite unbelievable that something like this still exists in modern day Singapore. Really feel awful about your experience here and always feel embarrassed when I hear things like this. So dire.
    vcs likes this.

Racism is a lot more open in Asia but the reasons behind it are a lot more open too

"Too many Indians have had more residents live here than allowed / have done illegal activities / have slipped out of town without paying rent and therefore I don't want to take the risk of renting out to an Indian"

'Too many mainland Chinese have made a mess or been noisy and get complaints and so I don't want to have to deal with a mainland Chinese tenant"

And once you're able to address these core issues, they aren't racist anymore. When renting my flat here, once we proved to the landlord that I had a stable job and got some local Chinese family friends to vouch for us the landlord was swayed and for several years now we've been paying our rent on time and getting him occasional gifts and he's got no issues with us. Hasn't threatened to find new tenants unless we pay higher rent, hasn't done or said anything remotely racist, has 0 complaints.

At the end of the day, they don't really give a **** what your ethnicity of religion is. Just don't be a pain in my ass. If you do that and you behave in the way you need to in order to be a solid member of the community, then they accept you for who you are.
    Last edited by zorax; 12-12-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Racism is a lot more open in Asia but the reasons behind it are a lot more open too

"Too many Indians have had more residents live here than allowed / have done illegal activities / have slipped out of town without paying rent and therefore I don't want to take the risk of renting out to an Indian"

'Too many mainland Chinese have made a mess or been noisy and get complaints and so I don't want to have to deal with a mainland Chinese tenant"

And once you're able to address these core issues, they aren't racist anymore. When renting my flat here, once we proved to the landlord that I had a stable job and got some local Chinese family friends to vouch for us the landlord was swayed and for several years now we've been paying our rent on time and getting him occasional gifts and he's got no issues with us. Hasn't threatened to find new tenants unless we pay higher rent, hasn't done or said anything remotely racist, has 0 complaints.

At the end of the day, they don't really give a **** what your ethnicity of religion is. Just don't be a pain in my ass. If you do that and you behave in the way you need to in order to be a solid member of the community, then they accept you for who you are.
    I get where you're coming from but to me if you say no Indians flat out and disregard whether the actual person behind the skin colour is going to be a good tenant or not, you are by definition being racist.
    vcs, OverratedSanity and zorax like this.

vcs
    In India, they are usually reluctant to rent out to bachelors. And single women face all manner of difficulties that I have no idea about.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

India is horrible at it. Beautifully open racism, casteism, sexism. It's nicer when it's not subtle imo.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Am I taking crazy pills? How does no one else feel as strongly about the colour of apples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    All apples are created equal in the eyes of god.
    Last edited by Adders; 12-12-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    **** all apples. Oranges ftw.
    Athlai likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information