Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: TV Shows: The Best Ever Characters

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Bryan Cranston does a great cameo role on Seinfeld too
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Hal in Malcolm in the Middle is up there too.
    Haha not sure I would go as far as saying he is an ATG character but **** I love that show.
    Shri likes this.

Michael Scott, Ron Swanson, George Costanza and Charlie Kelly. Honourable mention to Charlie's Uncle Jack too. He's in the show for only a couple of episodes but by God that's time well spent. NOBODY LOOK!!!

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I'm a massive Deadwood fan, and I loved Charlie Utter. What a legend.
    Niall likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Hexxagon Champion!
    Deadwood is flush with iconic characters. Dan Dority, Doc Cochran and Calamity Jane are all wonderful.

Then there's overlooked characters like Ellsworth, Joanie, EB Farnum. Damn I wanna rewatch.
    Niall likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Malcolm Tucker was pure genius in The Thick of It.
    Outstanding. IMO he's the biggest difference between The Thick Of It and Veep (although JLD does go some way towards making up for that).

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Joannie Stubbs was a magnificent character. As was Alma Garrett and Trixie. Not sure how accurate the portrayal of the female characters in that era was, but they definitely focussed on how hard life was made for them in that time. And the actors portrayed them brilliantly.

It's been a few years and I forgot EB Farnum. Such a great weasel character, so many funny little story lines involving him and his aspirations.

Damn it was good, just going thru the character list now and some of the supporting cast were amazing:

Rev. Smith (who Al kills mercifully)
    Hostetler
    Steve the Drunk
    Wu
    Jewel
    Richardson
    Wolcott and Hearst

That show got everything right. Shame they didn't make 2-3 more seasons, but the brutal frontier element had probably been portrayed enough and it would have turned into Little House on the Prairie I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    1) It isn't funny.

2) Its "humour" is not genuine geek humour at all, it's what the writers think is geek humour, which feeds into point 1, above. The majority of the "jokes" are just asinine references to things that the writers erroneously believe that geeks are interested in (e.g. science, sci-fi, fantasy, comics, the Internet and video games) but are almost always lazily researched and often completely inaccurate.

3) The laughter track. The less said about this the better really. Once it's removed the show ceases to be a "comedy", and instead becomes a harrowing drama about the difficulties of living with someone who has autism.

4) One of the characters exists primarily so the writers can make cheap, often borderline racist jokes (or just overtly racist jokes) about the fact that he's from India, something they remind the audience of every five minutes.
    This is just too good.

My issue with BBT is that it's not nerd humour, it's 'laugh at the nerd!' humour.

vcs,

I recommend you try watching Silicon Valley. Think you'll like it.
    vcs likes this.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    My issue with BBT is that it's not nerd humour, it's 'laugh at the nerd!' humour.

vcs,

I recommend you try watching Silicon Valley. Think you'll like it.
    Oh, yeah, I already watch that! It's excellent. I've watched the first 3 seasons of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I don't agree about TBBT being "laugh at the nerd" humour. Sure, there's some of it, with the general girl trouble and social awkwardness stuff. But a lot of is something I relate to (and I think most of us who waste time posting on Internet forums would), the ridiculously pedantic and trivial stuff they argue and care so much about.

I don't think my opinion on any character has changed as drastically as my opinion on EB Farnum. Started the show with me absolutely despising him and ended it as him being one of my favourites. The odd thing about it is that Farnum as a character does not change, he's the same small time schemer and has not suddenly become "good." I think most of all, his tenacity in being an asshole regadless of the comeuppance that comes his way with regularity is what is most entertaining, and the fact that over the course of the show you come to realise that in the grand scheme of things, he is mostly harmless.
    Niall and NZTailender like this.

On the redemption angle,,,Bodie from the wire for me. Loathed him at the end of season 1 for reasons I won't spoil in case someone here has missed it, but was rooting for him towards the end. His stuff with Mc Nulty always quality...."I feel old"....

Also Teddy from Rectify, initial impressions are a spoiled good old obnoxious American boy but so much depth to him than that.

Paulie from the sopranos also great, steals every scene he is in. Heck loads of Sopranos characters, Janice,Ritchie,the mother, and obviously Tony.
    Last edited by Niall; 08-08-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information