Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: South African Freedom Day

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

South African Freedom Day

Today is the 27th of April - and it's ten years since the South Africans achieved full suffrage and finally got rid of apartheid.

In these times, so filled with useless hatred between human beings, it is important to remember that peaceful protests can work and that every regime will come to end.

Respect.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Today is the 27th of April - and it's ten years since the South Africans achieved full suffrage and finally got rid of apartheid.

In these times, so filled with useless hatred between human beings, it is important to remember that peaceful protests can work and that every regime will come to end.

Respect.
    Hm... i'm not so sure on what you mean about peaceful protests. It was terrorism that was used agaisnt the apartheid. That was the reason Mandella went to jail, becasue he was a terrorist...

However it is good that it is all finally sorted. However I'm not 100% sure this government is going to do much for the coutnry anywyay
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Pinball Champion!
    Still miles and miles to go, and the journey is going to take ages. But some of the strides that have been made have been incredible.. I cant wait to be back there (flying hopefully in CT or Pretoria)..

Im not sure about the government. I dont think many people have been sure about any SA government to be quite honest. I think they have the country's best interests at heart and its hardly easy when you have a third world majority and pressures coming from all quarters... Time will tell.. 10 years has told an awful lot about the potential though..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 27-04-2004 at 04:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    Hm... i'm not so sure on what you mean about peaceful protests. It was terrorism that was used agaisnt the apartheid. That was the reason Mandella went to jail, becasue he was a terrorist...
    Haven't heard that before.....would it be possible for you to explain that?

Cricket Spectator

wait and see

i shall not say a lot today but you dont need to go far to see where s.a is going just look at zimbabwe their neighbours trust me they will be an uprising against most white land owners the only reason thres still peace in that country is because of mandela...bring back nelson mandelaaaa.bring him back home to soweto.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes

Respect.
    holla back at yo boy 1
    CA£SHMONEY STYLE

Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    Haven't heard that before.....would it be possible for you to explain that?
    Here ya go... was common knowledge in SA. To me he's a brilliant man for forgiving them, but he shouldn't have resorted to violence in teh first place. He's nothing on Gandhi IMO.

Nobel Museum
    "After the banning of the ANC in 1960, Nelson Mandela argued for the setting up of a military wing within the ANC. In June 1961, the ANC executive considered his proposal on the use of violent tactics and agreed that those members who wished to involve themselves in Mandela's campaign would not be stopped from doing so by the ANC. This led to the formation of Umkhonto we Sizwe. Mandela was arrested in 1962 and sentenced to five years' imprisonment with hard labour. In 1963, when many fellow leaders of the ANC and the Umkhonto we Sizwe were arrested, Mandela was brought to stand trial with them for plotting to overthrow the government by violence. His statement from the dock received considerable international publicity. On June 12, 1964, eight of the accused, including Mandela, were sentenced to life imprisonment. From 1964 to 1982, he was incarcerated at Robben Island Prison, off Cape Town; thereafter, he was at Pollsmoor Prison, nearby on the mainland.
    from: http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/...ndela-bio.html

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KANYE WEST
    i shall not say a lot today but you dont need to go far to see where s.a is going just look at zimbabwe their neighbours trust me they will be an uprising against most white land owners the only reason thres still peace in that country is because of mandela...bring back nelson mandelaaaa.bring him back home to soweto.
    Well only time will tell, but SA is far stronger economically than Zim ever was, and after apartheid i think the government and the international community will be a bit more aware of the racial problems that face the country... I certainly hope so anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    Here ya go... was common knowledge in SA. To me he's a brilliant man for forgiving them, but he shouldn't have resorted to violence in teh first place. He's nothing on Gandhi IMO.

from: http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/...ndela-bio.html

He may not be anything like Gandhi, But I dont think that qualifies as a terrorist act.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    He may not be anything like Gandhi, But I dont think that qualifies as a terrorist act.
    Basically they blew up a couple of electricity pylons and advocated a campaign of civil disobedience. I think that having served almost 30 years in prison, he can be considered to have done his 'bird'.

Anyway, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter (I've got a couple of white pals who were activists and they were simply expelled).
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Basically they blew up a couple of electricity pylons and advocated a campaign of civil disobedience. I think that having served almost 30 years in prison, he can be considered to have done his 'bird'.

Anyway, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter (I've got a couple of white pals who were activists and they were simply expelled).
    Yep that's exactly right.... while what he did was wrong, you can sure as hell see why he did it!! He wasn't a great president, but he was one of the best South African one's becasue he tried to bring equality to a country that didn't know the meaning. He also tried his best to help the black population of South Africa that was really in a total shambles! (Bear in mind most of the violence in SA was black africans killing/robbing other black africans even during the apartheid years.)

The important thing was that he forgave the people who did it, that's why he's so widely publicised(although most reports do accidentally forget to mention why he was in jail).

But don't get me started on his wife........

Thread Information