Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Glasses

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.

Glasses

Ok, so I am just about the only person in my immediate or extended family that does not currently wear glasses.

However, I figure it is just a matter of time until I end up needing them as well. My job involves me looking at a screen for hours on end every day, reading and writing etc. and I've noticed recently that occasionally my vision is becoming quite blurry at times, particularly when I am tired. It also seems my eyes occasionally struggle to change focus quickly (e.g. if I am looking down at my feet but then quickly glance up to look at someone walking towards me from about 50 metres away down the street).

Anyway, I went to get my eyes tested recently, and received a rather mild diagnosis of -0.50 in one eye and -0.75 in the other. Hardly terrible I guess.

The optician I saw, however, recommended that I got glasses to use whilst using a computer/looking at a screen. The rationale for this was to help prevent further deterioration and protect my eyes long term. Sounds sensible.

However, I have heard stories, mainly from my parents, that wearing glasses can actually speed up the deterioration of your sight, as your eyes become accustomed to your lenses and get lazy.

Advice/thoughts?

Also, PS. There is no way in hell I am ever going to use contacts or go for any laser eye stuff. So we can rule that out right now.

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Wore glasses since I was 18 and now have my second pair 18 years later with a slight adjustment. I am lightly short-sighted at -0.75 in both eyes, which has been pretty constant in the 18 years. I wear glasses because I cant see at night or in the dark well (hence I got them at 18 when I sat in the back of the lecture venues). Getting glasses makes no differrence to the rate at which your eyesight deteriorates;Most of the changes due to eyesight is just a reality of age as the eyeball shape changes due to hardening of membranes, ligaments and cartilage around the eye.

I would get them rather than spend time squinting and struggling, and just wear them when you need. Get something light weight (I like rimless) but make sure it fits the head properly.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Same here sledger. Only guy in the family who doesn't wear glasses but my sight has begun to get blurry and its not as sharp as it used to be. Can't discreetly check out women from a good distance away and sometimes I can't focus properly when they are close either. Its a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Have worn glasses since I was six and my eyes deteriorated to the point where the combined myopia and astigmatism have me at -10 in both eyes. There was at one point a worry that I might lose my sight entirely (or be beyond the help of glasses alone) but when my eyes finished developing (happens around age 17) the prescription leveled off completely. So in my experience the 'danger' of glasses is pretty much nil, given for the last 10 years my prescription has been steady, even though my eyes really were deteriorating.

One thing I would warn about is wearing glasses that are too strong for you, which has happened to me a couple of times, and that leads to headaches and dizziness that you may not be able to connect to dodgy glasses for a while. So make sure you go to a respectable optician and don't order them online. Also try not to get your eyes tested by an 18 year old intern.
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Can't discreetly check out women from a good distance away and sometimes I can't focus properly when they are close either. Its a problem.
    That's because you're pissed.
    Shri likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year
    I needed glasses for a mild and slowly progressing short-sightedness from the age of 20. I wore contact lenses for 17 years - complete lunacy looking back on it. My prescription has been the same now for 15 years. I have thought about laser eye surgery but it's too much in its infancy for my liking. By the time there are people who have been around long enough to prove there's no long term damage I will be dead.

If you need glasses just wear them.

One of my work colleagues really recommends laser eye surgery despite the excruciating pain he suffered for 3 days afterwards.

I think he was at -3 or thereabouts.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Don't fall for the varifocal lens bollocks

Have worn glasses since I was six and my eyes deteriorated to the point where the combined myopia and astigmatism have me at -10 in both eyes. There was at one point a worry that I might lose my sight entirely (or be beyond the help of glasses alone) but when my eyes finished developing (happens around age 17) the prescription leveled off completely. So in my experience the 'danger' of glasses is pretty much nil, given for the last 10 years my prescription has been steady, even though my eyes really were deteriorating.

One thing I would warn about is wearing glasses that are too strong for you, which has happened to me a couple of times, and that leads to headaches and dizziness that you may not be able to connect to dodgy glasses for a while. So make sure you go to a respectable optician and don't order them online. Also try not to get your eyes tested by an 18 year old intern.
    And you played cricket anyway? You are either really brave or really stupid. I was **** at it with good eyes dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I needed glasses for a mild and slowly progressing short-sightedness from the age of 20. I wore contact lenses for 17 years - complete lunacy looking back on it. My prescription has been the same now for 15 years. I have thought about laser eye surgery but it's too much in its infancy for my liking. By the time there are people who have been around long enough to prove there's no long term damage I will be dead.

If you need glasses just wear them.
    Yeah. Its like getting a hair transplant vs shaving it all off for bald people. The devil you know vs the one you don't. Shave it/wear glasses.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!

This is almost exactly my experience, except I stabilized at around -7 and have had LASIK done when I was 21.

I started using daily disposable lenses when I was around 15, only putting them on during cricket at the time. During national service (19-20) I would wear them almost every day. I noticed my eyes would get slightly red at times due to dry eyes. Never thought much about it.

When I was 21 I got LASIK done. Not needing spectacles is amazing, not having to bother with annoying and itchy pieces of plastic in my eye - even better. What sucks big time is the red eyes. It's a common side effect of the surgery and a clue that it could get bad post surgery is when you get dry eyes while wearing contacts.

So these days, I find that my eyes turn red (like full on weed eyes) in certain situations -

1. Drinking alcohol
    2. During and the rest of the day after cricket in hot sun
    3. After smoking weed (duh)
    4. Sometimes (rarely) for no discernible reason

I believe it's something to do with dehydration. It's not a great look and I really do regret going through with the surgery at this point.

I'm still exploring options with the doctor, so far we've only found corticosteroids completely get rid of the redness temporarily. A more permanent solution seems unlikely, and although a lot of people have experienced the dry eyes subsiding after a few years, I'm keeping my expectations low. :\
    Last edited by Daemon; 17-10-2017 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    One of my work colleagues really recommends laser eye surgery despite the excruciating pain he suffered for 3 days afterwards.

I think he was at -3 or thereabouts.
    My understanding is that there's a pretty good chance it won't last for all that long though (only a decade or so). I've only needed glasses for the last 5 odd years (haven't had them for that long though), so I don't want to pull the trigger too early.

Glasses speeding your deteriorating vision is something of a myth afaik, and screen usage is overrated as a factor as well. Genetics/age is by far the most significant factor
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

I wasn't aware of any research at all that connected glasses to eyesight deterioration, other than the obvious correlation between people whose eyesight tends to deteriorate and people who need glasses. The research is pretty firm on there being no link between screen usage and eyesight, although you can get eye muscle strain from overuse which obviously isn't fun. If you're having trouble focussing on screens after a few hours, it's because the muscles which control focussing have gotten strained or worn out, nothing to do with the eyes themselves. Take a break and they'll be fine.

The big health risk, by far, is direct, harsh sunlight and UV radiation. Wear sunglasses and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Spark; 17-10-2017 at 05:08 AM.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

cpr
    Yeah, laser isn't a permanent fix due to your eye changing as you get older. My mum only got about 5 years before she was back on reading glasses (her prescription was about -4, so slightly better sighted than I, I'm -4.5). She had it done at about 50 though. Sister did have hers done about 7-8 years ago and is fine. In fact everyone i know who's done it keeps on telling me I'm an idiot for not, but **** that noise.

Contacts were an absolute ***** for the first week, and I really struggled with them, after that they've been fine. Bit of an arse to put in sometimes, but no pain (and I'm the biggest wuss on earth), got to the point I can just rip them out if annoying me without thinking twice - ideal when getting home drunk from a night out really. I rarely use my contacts beyond vanity reasons, as if I'm staring at a screen all day my glasses are far comfier on my eyes.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I have thought about laser surgery, but it's quite expensive and if I did have that sort of cash available there are plenty of other things I'd want to spend it on. I've become so used to wearing glasses after having done so for 30 years that getting rid of them isn't particularly high on the agenda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information