cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 156
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Every Superhero Film Ever

  1. #46
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    27,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    What makes you say that?

    As for GOT, I reckon that while it might have started life has having a lot of deconstructive bits in it, it's pretty much straight fantasy now. So those of us with the Hobbiton holiday pictures (no laughing at the back) are probably still enjoying it for that reason.
    It's just that your posts do it a lot and you've talked about TV Tropes binges before.

  2. #47
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,951
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Sure, I'm just balking at:



    That is taking what you said to an absurd extreme.

    You did not get that I was using exaggeration to make a point? We are in a thread discussing superhero movies, dude.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  3. #48
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,517
    For me, it's getting difficult to continue to enjoy CB movies unless they do something very different than all the rest or take some risks. I think that's why I continued to defend BvS for ages even though I acknowledge all the issues with it. I was really hoping for something incredible with Dr Strange, but it ended up being pretty generic as well. I'm looking forward to Black Panther and Aquaman hoping for experimentation so we'll see. Like you, I guess I will continue to keep throwing money at these movies regardless. Though I think I'll pick and choose which ones to see in the theatre. So far it sounds like I can afford to wait on Homecoming till it's out on Blu-Ray.

    BTW, if you ever end up watching BvS, either watch the Ultimate Cut or don't bother with it at all. The UC is 3 hours long which is a lot to invest in a movie you might dislike, however, watching the Theatrical Cut will leave you confused and pissed off.

    Personally, there are a lot of CB movies that I've watched since BvS and a lot of them were better, but I've never watched any of them again whereas I keep going back to the UC every few months. As I watch it I see all the issues and they become more and more obvious with every rewatch, but I always find myself ignoring all the issues and enjoying the visuals (which a lot of people disliked) and the soundtrack, and a lot of little details that I missed the first time.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

  4. #49
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think people watch these movies because they're just big kids who dont want to grow up and deal with real life
    Like it or not, everyone has to "deal with real life". The coping things people use to do that vary. I'm sure you have your own.

    Why you keep hating on some harmless fun (that sometimes surprises with some depth) in a pretty bleak world?
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.


  5. #50
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,517
    Probably because he's bored.
    zorax likes this.

  6. #51
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,026
    nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  7. #52
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,951
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    For me, it's getting difficult to continue to enjoy CB movies unless they do something very different than all the rest or take some risks. I think that's why I continued to defend BvS for ages even though I acknowledge all the issues with it. I was really hoping for something incredible with Dr Strange, but it ended up being pretty generic as well. I'm looking forward to Black Panther and Aquaman hoping for experimentation so we'll see. Like you, I guess I will continue to keep throwing money at these movies regardless. Though I think I'll pick and choose which ones to see in the theatre. So far it sounds like I can afford to wait on Homecoming till it's out on Blu-Ray.

    BTW, if you ever end up watching BvS, either watch the Ultimate Cut or don't bother with it at all. The UC is 3 hours long which is a lot to invest in a movie you might dislike, however, watching the Theatrical Cut will leave you confused and pissed off.

    Personally, there are a lot of CB movies that I've watched since BvS and a lot of them were better, but I've never watched any of them again whereas I keep going back to the UC every few months. As I watch it I see all the issues and they become more and more obvious with every rewatch, but I always find myself ignoring all the issues and enjoying the visuals (which a lot of people disliked) and the soundtrack, and a lot of little details that I missed the first time.

    I think this is the problem with some of the movie going public.. They think being different in a CB = less jokes. AFAIC, each of the Marvel movies post Avengers have been taking some kind of a risk. Just because there is trademark Marvel humor and light heartedness does not mean those risks were not taken. And Snyder's messed up vision is the biggest turn off for me about the DCEU. And I LOVE the DC characters. Wonder Woman was awesome.

  8. #53
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    39,072
    Yeha I'd take DC over Marvel everyday of the week, but the MCU are far better films, WW is an exception though, was good.
    honestbharani likes this.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

  9. #54
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    7,744
    I think a lot of us who are young and unmarried are unhappy to various extents about how we spend our time. We keep delududing ourselves that from next monday, we're going to magically work out everyday, keep in touch with people who matter, work hard at our profession, run the metaphorical streets and spend 100% of our time doing things which are either new or productive. We think if we do all that, in six months, all of it will accumulate and we will be stretching the limits of our humanity. A 100% sociopathic stud with complete control of our emotions and actions who is not restricted by laziness or competence and can achieve anything they wish and help anyone out. A superhero.

    Then we wake up late for work monday, see that there's a leftover slice of pizza from last night lying on the bed and we eat it. Oh wait that's this week ****ed. Let's properly **** ourselves up this week as it's our last week being a degen and start over next week and this repeats itself over and over again. The problem is we underestimate just how ****ing hard habit formation is. With enough time and attempts, you sub-consciously realize that positive habit formation is too hard for you and live in a cycle of learned helplessness with the soundtrack of depression playing at low volume throughout the day because you want to live life a certain way but you have learned that you can't because you're a degen and lack the discipline for it.

    Superhero films are primarily films about people successfully being able to form habits (metaphorically represented by spider webs coming out of your hands etc.) and using this incredible ability we crave so hard for yet have filed to achieve, to live a life of responsibility and achievement. The bible, the gita, the quran are all superhero films. They will always exist and they should too because we need to watch something to help us believe again and again and maybe next monday we'll throw the leftover pizza slice in the dustbin and go for a run to start our monday because batman told me on thursday that we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up again.

    OG generic superhero film inspirational quote from 500 BC below:

    "The mind is restless, O Krishna, turbulent, strong, obstinate. I think it is as impossible to control as the wind."

    "Undoubtedly, O Mighty Armed, it is very difficult to control the ever moving mind. However, through sincere practice and dispassionate detachment, it can be achieved."
    Last edited by Teja.; 15-07-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  10. #55
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,223
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think people watch these movies because they're just big kids who dont want to grow up and deal with real life
    not as bad as doing MMA so you can pretend to be a real warrior. i lived with one, he was always coming out with quotes from mma like "i am the shark and this ring is my sea". you lot know you'll never be real knights, legionaries, gallic swordsmen, hoplites or immortals so you play fight and pretend it's real combat.

    or as catelyn stark puts it something like "summer children playing at war"
    Last edited by Flem274*; 15-07-2017 at 01:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  11. #56
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    39,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I think a lot of us who are young and unmarried are unhappy to various extents about how we spend our time. We keep delududing ourselves that from next monday, we're going to magically work out everyday, keep in touch with people who matter, work hard at our profession, run the metaphorical streets and spend 100% of our time doing things which are either new or productive. We think if we do all that, in six months, all of it will accumulate and we will be stretching the limits of our humanity. A 100% sociopathic stud with complete control of our emotions and actions who is not restricted by laziness or competence and can achieve anything they wish and help anyone out. A superhero.

    Then we wake up late for work monday, see that there's a leftover slice of pizza from last night lying on the bed and we eat it. Oh wait that's this week ****ed. Let's properly **** ourselves up this week as it's our last week being a degen and start over next week and this repeats itself over and over again. The problem is we underestimate just how ****ing hard habit formation is. With enough time and attempts, you sub-consciously realize that positive habit formation is too hard for you and live in a cycle of learned helplessness with the soundtrack of depression playing at low volume throughout the day because you want to live life a certain way but you have learned that you can't because you're a degen and lack the discipline for it.

    Superhero films are primarily films about people successfully being able to form habits (metaphorically represented by spider webs coming out of your hands etc.) and using this incredible ability we crave so hard for yet have filed to achieve, to live a life of responsibility and achievement. The bible, the gita, the quran are all superhero films. They will always exist and they should too because we need to watch something to help us believe again and again and maybe next monday we'll throw the leftover pizza slice in the dustbin and go for a run to start our monday because batman told me on thursday that we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up again.

    OG generic superhero film inspirational quote from 500 BC below:

    "The mind is restless, O Krishna, turbulent, strong, obstinate. I think it is as impossible to control as the wind."

    "Undoubtedly, O Mighty Armed, it is very difficult to control the ever moving mind. However, through sincere practice and dispassionate detachment, it can be achieved."
    I don't even know what this means but I love it.

  12. #57
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Yeha I'd take DC over Marvel everyday of the week, but the MCU are far better films, WW is an exception though, was good.

    You can almost literally "see" the changes.. Suicide Squad was Snyder captaining the ship. Wonder Woman is the first movie to get into production since Geoff Johns took over. I hope Whedon is working his magic on Justice League as we speak. I really dont think I can sit through another Snyder Grind.

  13. #58
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,517
    I don't think I mentioned anything about humor, though I do find many films have a lot of forced humor that really doesn't land (GOTG2 is a good example, WW had some minor cringe as well). In contrast, I think GOTG1 and Antman were pretty funny. I have watched almost all MCU films (IM3 and Thor2 excepted), and they've been pretty formulaic with the exception of the CA and Gotg movies. The choice of characters was risky at times but the formula is usually pretty safe from my perspective.

    Anyhoo, I don't care much for Snyder either. I honestly didn't know who he was until the lead up to BvS, and never even realized he directed MoS (I just knew it was not-Nolan). Based on what I've seen, I think he lacks an understanding of how to tell a story properly, and I don't know why WB went with him to be the Fiege figure for DCEU. I only really love what he does visually. So I'm not out to defend him personally, but I don't think you can really blame him for SS when it was obvious the studio had fully taken over the process. Ayer's version with Snyder in charge probably would've been bad, but this brand of bad was not of his making IMO.

    Not sure how much Whedon can change in this timeframe tbh. I'll be happy if the end result is coherent at this point. So far I have the same concerns I had with BvS that there is just too much going on.

    For the future, I really hope Patty Jenkins gets a shot at making MoS2. I like her style. Super excited that Reeves stayed on for Batman as well. Word is he's scrapping past development and starting over.

  14. #59
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Are you interested in animated ones How? Mask of the Phantasm was a pretty significant one.
    MotP was great. Flashpoint Paradox and Under the Red Hood are my next two favorites. To segue off of this, have you seen Justice League Dark? I think it's the best out of the new DCAU.

  15. #60
    Gob
    Gob is offline
    International Regular Gob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    banana stand
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I think a lot of us who are young and unmarried are unhappy to various extents about how we spend our time. We keep delududing ourselves that from next monday, we're going to magically work out everyday, keep in touch with people who matter, work hard at our profession, run the metaphorical streets and spend 100% of our time doing things which are either new or productive. We think if we do all that, in six months, all of it will accumulate and we will be stretching the limits of our humanity. A 100% sociopathic stud with complete control of our emotions and actions who is not restricted by laziness or competence and can achieve anything they wish and help anyone out. A superhero.

    Then we wake up late for work monday, see that there's a leftover slice of pizza from last night lying on the bed and we eat it. Oh wait that's this week ****ed. Let's properly **** ourselves up this week as it's our last week being a degen and start over next week and this repeats itself over and over again. The problem is we underestimate just how ****ing hard habit formation is. With enough time and attempts, you sub-consciously realize that positive habit formation is too hard for you and live in a cycle of learned helplessness with the soundtrack of depression playing at low volume throughout the day because you want to live life a certain way but you have learned that you can't because you're a degen and lack the discipline for it.

    Superhero films are primarily films about people successfully being able to form habits (metaphorically represented by spider webs coming out of your hands etc.) and using this incredible ability we crave so hard for yet have filed to achieve, to live a life of responsibility and achievement. The bible, the gita, the quran are all superhero films. They will always exist and they should too because we need to watch something to help us believe again and again and maybe next monday we'll throw the leftover pizza slice in the dustbin and go for a run to start our monday because batman told me on thursday that we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up again.

    OG generic superhero film inspirational quote from 500 BC below:

    "The mind is restless, O Krishna, turbulent, strong, obstinate. I think it is as impossible to control as the wind."

    "Undoubtedly, O Mighty Armed, it is very difficult to control the ever moving mind. However, through sincere practice and dispassionate detachment, it can be achieved."
    Actually Thomas Wayne said that but yeah i get the gist of it

    Super heroes for me are reflections of peoples desires. Every thing we want and crave for but cant have. We all want to be a Peter Parker or a Clark Kent so we can make the world a better place but most importantly take a break from the continues routine
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

    Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scariest film you have seen?
    By Agent Nationaux in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-12-2013, 06:03 PM
  2. Real Life Superhero
    By Athlai in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
  3. Best film ever
    By steds in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
  4. Is Dravid a superhero for Indian team?
    By dips_december in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
  5. A.C. Gilchrist - Superhero?
    By Western Warrior in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •