cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Every Superhero Film Ever

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I am not sure which is more lame: people thinking those who like super hero movies like them only for the super heroes or those who think super heroes are not, for the most part, really well fleshed characters, as in much better than your average movie.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I guess I can understand part of the hate, since they can all feel a little same-y, but compared to all the other trash in the 'big budget blockbuster action' space, they're generally far better made and nowhere near as offensively bad.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 13-07-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    Shri likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I am not sure which is more lame: people thinking those who like super hero movies like them only for the super heroes or those who think super heroes are not, for the most part, really well fleshed characters, as in much better than your average movie.
    Superheroes are for kids

The fact that a bunch of adults decided to not grow up past it, and instead decided to flesh it out and add depth and nuance, doesn't change the fact that they're still messing with a genre invited for pre-teens.

They're ****ing superheroes. Men and women in funny costumes with inhuman powers fighting far-fetched villains with inexpiable technology and alien civilizations and time travelling and all sort of ****.

You can have nuance and depth and fleshed out storylines and still be based in reality. You don't need to obsess yourself with fake universes and imaginary characters

The greatest hypocrisy to me is a fan of superheroes who is also an atheist. Like seriously man? You don't see what you're doing there?
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Superheroes are for kids

The fact that a bunch of adults decided to not grow up past it, and instead decided to flesh it out and add depth and nuance, doesn't change the fact that they're still messing with a genre invited for pre-teens.

They're ****ing superheroes. Men and women in funny costumes with inhuman powers fighting far-fetched villains with inexpiable technology and alien civilizations and time travelling and all sort of ****.

You can have nuance and depth and fleshed out storylines and still be based in reality. You don't need to obsess yourself with fake universes and imaginary characters

The greatest hypocrisy to me is a fan of superheroes who is also an atheist. Like seriously man? You don't see what you're doing there?
    You were doing ok until the last line. Weak. Include more trolling about the weather next time
    zorax, Shri and OverratedSanity like this.
    I got a new heart, got a new heart, got a new artificial heart

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Superheroes are for kids

Don't cut yourself on that edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Zorax is turning into low rent Burgey. What a wannabe.
    Daemon likes this.

Don't you man-children have to go watch some movie about spiderpig or something

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    No ****. Go watch a Star War.
    honestbharani likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Superheroes are for kids

I go to Sabarimala every year.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Are you interested in animated ones How? Mask of the Phantasm was a pretty significant one.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I never said Superhero movies don't have depth and all that good ****. It just shits me that people aren't sick of them yet. I think it's that same hatred that a lot of non GoT fans have with the show. There are obviously other choices out there and I can just ignore it, but it's just constantly being shoved in my face.

I want more of something real like Fences and I, Daniel Blake because I'm super hipster

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Rise-fall-redemption is just an incredibly powerful formula. It clicks with the human brain in the same way that verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus clicks. Getting people to pay 8 to see predictable shite is at the lower end of its power. Like Vimes alludes to it's basically the entire basis of Christianity. Countries pretty frequently go to war because the population envisage themselves between fall and redemption.

I don't think I respond to it that strongly. I think superhero movies are absolute turd. I always happily lap up the latest formulaic pop banger though.
    Flem274* likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Rise-fall-redemption is just an incredibly powerful formula. It clicks with the human brain in the same way that verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus clicks. Getting people to pay 8 to see predictable shite is at the lower end of its power. Like Vimes alludes to it's basically the entire basis of Christianity. Countries pretty frequently go to war because the population envisage themselves between fall and redemption.

I don't think I respond to it that strongly. I think superhero movies are absolute turd. I always happily lap up the latest formulaic pop banger though.
    It's essentially a more rigid, formulaic approach to the typical three-act structure of most Western cinema. The inciting incident is often one of gaining/realising some kind of power; then the crisis point will involve a villain who provides a moral/philosophical opposition to the code of the superhero and/or some kind of personal failure; and the denouement will be overcoming that crisis, usually by defeating the villain.

People love a story that follows this path, whether it's superhero or not, and whether they actually know it's happening or not. Superhero films tend to follow this structure in a particularly clear, definable way, which is part of the reason why people respond to them. It doesn't have to be exceptional, it just has to be executed effectively, which is why it can feel a little soulless.

Then you have the notable IP, the potential for action on different scales, the supremely well-defined nature of some of these characters, the sheer money that's poured into it filtered through high-class actors and creative types and is it any wonder people lap these films up? It has definitely gotten to a point where the actual conversation about these films is too all-encompassing though. Marvel do not make deep films and I just can't get involved in discussing them on an individual level any more.
    Daemon, Uppercut and Samuel_Vimes like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    It's essentially a more rigid, formulaic approach to the typical three-act structure of most Western cinema. The inciting incident is often one of gaining/realising some kind of power; then the crisis point will involve a villain who provides a moral/philosophical opposition to the code of the superhero and/or some kind of personal failure; and the denouement will be overcoming that crisis, usually by defeating the villain.

People love a story that follows this path, whether it's superhero or not, and whether they actually know it's happening or not. Superhero films tend to follow this structure in a particularly clear, definable way, which is part of the reason why people respond to them. It doesn't have to be exceptional, it just has to be executed effectively, which is why it can feel a little soulless.

Then you have the notable IP, the potential for action on different scales, the supremely well-defined nature of some of these characters, the sheer money that's poured into it filtered through high-class actors and creative types and is it any wonder people lap these films up? It has definitely gotten to a point where the actual conversation about these films is too all-encompassing though. Marvel do not make deep films and I just can't get involved in discussing them on an individual level any more.
    Yeah you're spot on with all of this.

It's interesting that Howe loves them, because he's massively into cultural deconstruction too. It's sort of funny how much people love art that tears down other art that they love. Game of Thrones does so well out of that. I love it because it tears apart the usual linear, black+white fantasy structure that I hate. But lots of people love it for tearing that structure apart while still loving that structure- tonnes of LOTR fans like GOT. So it ends up with this fandom of people who both love and hate fantasy.

Couldn't be less interested in the MCU and don't think I've watched a single superhero movie (other than Deadpool) since the first X-Men move at the turn of the millenium. I've tried here and there to watch them and I wanna jump off a bridge out of boredom about 30 minutes in every time.

THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information