Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Every Superhero Film Ever

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    TDK is top for me but Iím okay with winter soldier being there

A lot of time for the crow btw
    Anil likes this.

I'm more surprised by TBB over the TDK. TBB is very good, no doubt, but TDK is just special
    Shri likes this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Ragnarok would easily crack my top 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

"TBB" I mean Batman Begins of course

Cricket Web Staff Member Scarlett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Top 75 Superhero Films from Before the middle of a few years ago or whatever

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Awesome film. Very Bourne-like in its action and design but somehow pulls this off while a man wears a flag. The thing keeping it going is how Evans manages to convince us that Cap is such an effective force of sheer bloody decency that the right decisions are naturally going to get made even when everything's going to ****. I didn't know of the winter soldier story in the comics before watching this so it kept me guessing too. Top banana

2. Batman Begins
    3. The Dark Knight

4. The Avengers - It's hard to separate the quality of this film from the size of the achievement that making it was, but it's an effing huge one, so here we are. I think it looks a bit dodgy in places, and the Whedontalk can get a bit much, but meh. An underrated aspect of it is how every action beat in the finale represents a genuine character moment as well as a bit for the kids to punch the air to. This film has a guitar solo of a third act.

5. X-Men 2
    6. Spider-man 2
    7. Blade
    8. The Crow
    9. X-Men
    10. Spider-Man

11. Iron Man - I put this outside the top 10 because unlike Avengers, its ending leaves a little to be desired and features Jeff Bridges going crazy for no reason. But it had one job and that's to sell me on Down Jr and Tony Stark, at which it very much succeeded.

12. Captain America - Has a better baddie than Iron Man but the script isn't as clever. It's a well put together thing that manages to make Steve Rogers: Perfect Human into someone you can get behind.

13. Iron Man III - This is a bizarre film. The main villain is apparently PTSD. I enjoy it, including the mid film twist, but I can get why it'd rub you the wrong way. You can see the same workings from Shane Black that made films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang so good, and you can see why Marvel didn't invite him back.

14. Watchmen - My main memory of watching this 8 years ago is how flipping long it was, but on rewatch that's doing it a disservice. It has to rush a couple of things to set up the third act but otherwise the story is a carefully crafted thing that needs every quiet scene. Unlike later Snyder films it follows through with its big ideas until the end.

15. Superman II
    16. Superman
    17. Hellboy
    18. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

19. Thor - Thing I my have been a bit harsh on it putting it down here, it's fine. Has some wit to it and like the other opening Marvel efforts introduces its main character well. But there's not a lot of memorable moments that aren't in the first act.

20. The Dark Knight Rises - On its own this would be fine, but it's not really fit to tie its predecessors' boots. While the storytelling and dialogue in TDK was meticulous, this feels bloated and winding, and a good creative premise is a bit wasted. Worst decision was having the best character/actor in the trilogy (Caine's Alfred) leave for half of it. It has some brilliant character moments and a brilliant final scene for the whole trilogy.

21. Iron Man 2 - It's servicable. I like what they did with Justin Hammer. Tony Stark verges too close to being an arsehole in a lot of this for it to keep all the charm of its predecessor.

22. Blade II

23. Kick-Ass - I feel like there's probably some point it's trying to make by veering so wildly between pitch-black cynicism and juvenile glee, and I've missed it. Otherwise, this a sometimes funny piece of nonsense with creative action.

24. V for Vendetta

25. Thor: The Dark World - I feel like people rag on this too much for being not memorable, but yeah, it's not memorable. Total waste of your Chris Ecclestone. Still a decent world-building attempt and has its ace in its Thor-Loki dialogue, shame there's not more of that.

26. Batman (1989)
    27. The Rocketeer

28. The Incredible Hulk - The forgotten stepchild that Marvel likes to keep in the cupboard under the stairs. It's okay.

29. Dredd - Go into this expecting a simple B-movie and you'll get exactly what you're after. Pacy and (good) action heavy. Completely misses any opportunity for wit or satire though.

30. The Mask

31. The Wolverine - This promises to be a creative, modern conspiracy thriller and gets two thirds of the way through one before having a complete eye-roll of an ending. Close but no cigar.

32. Superman Returns

33. Kick-Ass 2 - It's pretty much the same as the previous one, except this one detrimentally adds in a slew of teen drama nonsense with all your least favourite high school archetype characters.

34. League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

35. The Amazing Spider-Man - There's nothing in this film that offends me, but holy crap is it pointless. The sole justification for anything that happens in this is 'because the good Spiderman films did it'. Anything that doesn't follow that template is shoved into sequel-building, because this is totally gonna be its own universe you guys! There is no reason for this film.

36. Blade Trinity
    37. The Shadow
    38. Swamp Thing
    39. Batman (1966)
    40. Tank Girl

41. X-men: First Class - Taking the place of 'best film I didn't like' from Hulk. This film has a good cast, good direction, a bunch of other this that make it well made, just hate every decision they made with these characters. And it's full of my personal bugbear trope, which is saying comic book names with gravitas stolen entirely from source material and not remotely justified in the film.

42. Hulk
    43. Daredevil
    44. Judge Dredd
    45. Elektra

46. Man of Steel - I can see why some people like this version of Superman. My complaint isn't really 'too grim', it's just that if you're going grim, you'd better have some other way to keep me entertained, like theme, chracater, creative consequential action, something. But here we have out-of-order scenes in the first half that serve only to undermine any theme or character decisions, and the action is 100% pointless punching and building-smashing. It's boring.

47. Green Lantern - I didn't hate this as much as I expected to hate it. It's not even the worst film to come out in 2011 to have 'green' in the title. But yeah it's quite bad. Lots of time wasting on cheap scenes about Hal Jordans'' problems with his girlfriend, and when you do go into space the CGI is the worst released this decade. Hope you enjoy Ryan Reynolds' floating head.

48. Ghost Rider

49. Punisher: War Zone - A good one for Bad Movie Night. There is an understanding that you are not looking at anyone's finest work, but at least there might be a sense that the film is laughing with you. This may be the best we can do with the Punisher.

50. X-men Origins: Wolverine - Unlike the above this film takes itself 100% seriously. It shouldn't.

51. The Green Hornet - It's a comedy that isn't funny. I gather that the unsympathetic comedy protagonist is a thing, but they can't be an example of the actual worst person on the planet for it to work.

52. Spawn
    53. Spider-Man 3
    54. The Phantom

55. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - If you are wondering why Nicolas Cage is now a meme, watch this film. Ciran Hinds and Idris Elba are in this, I have no idea how that happened.

56. Jonah Hex - Clearly unfinished and chopped to death in the editing room, probably because what story it had made little sense at the best of times. It's a shame, waste of an interesting premise.

57. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    58. Batman Forever
    59. The Crow: City of Angels
    60. X-men The Last Stand
    61. Fantastic Four
    62. Superman III
    63. The Spirit
    64. The Punisher (2004)
    65. Batman Returns
    66. The Punisher (1989)
    67. Return of Swamp Thing
    68. Howard the Duck
    69. Barb Wire
    70. Superman IV
    71. Catwoman
    72. Batman & Robin
    73. Supergirl
    74. Son of the Mask
    75. Steel
    Can suggest 3 movies.
    Deadpool
    Defendor
    Sucker Punch

Iím not sure if you would consider any of those as superhero movies.
    DEAD GIRL

CWRocks

Dude. I need to get out of Seattle this weekend. This chick is all over my junk and I've got to get away
    Rocketeer should be in the top 20 tbh
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information