Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Cryptocurrency

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I thought they were theoretically supposed to be faster and more energy efficient which means you save on costs and time when mining.
    Yeah pretty much, but that's essentially the problem, as that'd make it more centralised in the hands of the first few people who had access to quantum computers capable of pulling that off. At the moment ASICs are still better at this, but theoretically quantum computers are much better, to the point of potentially spoiling the decentralised model a bit.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All systems of government are therefore totalitarian dictatorships in disguise

vcs
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/T..._Computers.pdf

This is a very good explanation of what quantum computers (theoretically) can and cannot do. Shor's algorithm can factor a semi-prime in polynomial time, and there is no known algorithm in the standard model that can do that, which is what ensures that the current cryptographic protocols work. Given a product of two primes, there is no computationally tractable way in the standard computing model to figure out which two primes were multiplied to obtain that product. This is conjectured (though not proven) to be a non-P problem, but in the quantum computing model, it can be solved in polynomial time.

I must say that I am a computer engineer and therefore am supposed to have a deeper insight into this stuff, but all that gyaan comes mainly from Wikipedia.
    Last edited by vcs; 19-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Prince EWS and Uppercut like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Handy investment buying it at $2,600
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/T..._Computers.pdf

This is a very good explanation of what quantum computers (theoretically) can and cannot do. Shor's algorithm can factor a semi-prime in polynomial time, and there is no known algorithm in the standard model that can do that, which is what ensures that the current cryptographic protocols work. Given a product of two primes, there is no computationally tractable way in the standard computing model to figure out which two primes were multiplied to obtain that product. This is conjectured (though not proven) to be a non-P problem, but in the quantum computing model, it can be solved in polynomial time.

I must say that I am a computer engineer and therefore am supposed to have a deeper insight into this stuff, but all that gyaan comes mainly from Wikipedia.
    Big fan of Scott Aaronson's blog

But yeah, quantum computers are principally very good at very specific tasks, and most of that tasks come down to variations on fast factorisation of gigantic numbers, or other brute-force problems were the stupid approach is the only feasible one. That could be very significant for certain public key cryptographic systems (for which the extreme difficulty of factorising enormous numbers is critical) but without knowing the exact maths on which cryptocurrencies are based, impossible to say if it'd help there. And even if it does, it's still fair to ask what a quantum computer could do that several thousand i9s in parallel couldn't for a lot less money.

It should also be said that a lot of the people making outlandish predictions about the capability of quantum computers are doing so on the basis of interpretations/variations of quantum mechanics that I find extremely speculative at best.
    Last edited by Spark; 19-12-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

No assets to back them up. No central banks to shore them up when they crash. Not investment avenue but gambling.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Please tell me this is parody.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Yesterday I had an email telling me that if I didn't pay 350 in bitcoin to the sender by midnight tonight they would post a film of me having *** on the net and send a link to all my contacts - my request for an advance preview has been ignored and therefore I haven't been paid so, sledger and GIMH, please check your inboxes just after midnight and forward the relevant mail to me - thank you and have a good Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Please tell me this is parody.
    I don't know if this specific tweet is parody, but "fiatsplaining" and the (unsurprisingly) related "fiatcuck" are definitely not used as parody.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I basically hit all my stop losses while in Bali. Woke up one day and I had no more crypto. No idea whether I should just be happy with what I have and walk away.

Suicide Bob Champion!

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Fake news is generally annoying, but when it actually affects your wallet it's infuriating. This whole rubbish from lazy reporters in the mainstream media on South Korea banning crypto exchanges has been so dire.
    Prince EWS likes this.

Fake news is generally annoying, but when it actually affects your wallet it's infuriating. This whole rubbish from lazy reporters in the mainstream media on South Korea banning crypto exchanges has been so dire.
    I mean... that doesn't speak well to the stability of the commodity/currency or whatever, does it?

Suicide Bob Champion!
    The fact that it's so unstable is part of the reason why it's so attractive for trading purposes. News like that generally disrupts the cycles you see when doing TA especially when it's baseless.

I'm not a crypto fan or believer or whatever ftr, I'm just here for the ride.
    Last edited by Daemon; 13-01-2018 at 05:18 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    But if you know it's fake news then it's a buying opportunity. OTOH if ~every price movement is based on sentiment, then ~all cryptocurrency news is fake, so you can't complain .

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information