Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Getting into international universities

Getting into international universities

Can I get into any international university without a C in Maths at GCE? I suck at maths and got below C in Maths but I want to get into international university (preferably UK) so please tell me if any of University would accept me without having C in O Levels? I am from UAE

This is a serious thread and trolling would be ignored
    indiaholic likes this.

How loaded are your parents?
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    Can I get into any international university without a C in Maths at GCE? I suck at maths and got below C in Maths but I want to get into international university (preferably UK) so please tell me if any of University would accept me without having C in O Levels? I am from UAE

This is a serious thread and trolling would be ignored
    If you can't get a C at GCSE - I'm assuming you mean GCSE, as GCE typically refers to A level - then you won't be able to get into most university courses in the UK because you won't be able to cope. In this country you would need to resit your maths GCSE until you have the level 2 pass (C+ GCSE) alongside any other level 3 courses (A level / BTEC diploma) you're currently taking.

There are other universities and colleges that offer courses that aren't the usual academic ones though, and they have their own entry requirements.

If this actually is a serious thread, tell me what you're studying and I can help.
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    If you can't get a C at GCSE - I'm assuming you mean GCSE, as GCE typically refers to A level - then you won't be able to get into most university courses in the UK because you won't be able to cope. In this country you would need to resit your maths GCSE until you have the level 2 pass (C+ GCSE) alongside any other level 3 courses (A level / BTEC diploma) you're currently taking.

There are other universities and colleges that offer courses that aren't the usual academic ones though, and they have their own entry requirements.

If this actually is a serious thread, tell me what you're studying and I can help.
    I am in A Levels currently and I have 3 subjects Media Studies,Law and World History.I am looking to go into Mass Communications for uni

Well the good news is that media courses exist in universities that aren't very stringent, asking for 96-120 on a ucas tariff which translates to CCC-BBB at A Level (or between). At a Russell group (top 20-ish) university you would probably need at least one A grade though.

It's still likely that you need a C in Maths for most university courses, but for something like communications it's possible they will let it slide. You should be looking at specific universities and contacting their admissions departments by email to ask about it. If they do want a strong maths grade, which Russel group universities certainly will, you should resit it with your school. If you've no idea which university you want to apply to, start with websites like 'which? university' or go straight to setting up a UCAS account and get searching.

With the above said, you should consider very carefully who is going to pay for this. International students usually pay up around twice as much for a university course than students from the UK do. You're looking at 15,000 per year, which will vary considerably between universities. And spending that much time and money on a degree you may never actually use (which a media degree at a university with lower entry requirements is, for a great deal of people) is something you shouldn't just take off the top of your head.
    zorax and Shri like this.

**** around with media degrees at cheaper places bro. And when you are tired of screwing around, get a real degree in business or similar from a good uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Well the good news is that media courses exist in universities that aren't very stringent, asking for 96-120 on a ucas tariff which translates to CCC-BBB at A Level (or between). At a Russell group (top 20-ish) university you would probably need at least one A grade though.

It's still likely that you need a C in Maths for most university courses, but for something like communications it's possible they will let it slide. You should be looking at specific universities and contacting their admissions departments by email to ask about it. If they do want a strong maths grade, which Russel group universities certainly will, you should resit it with your school. If you've no idea which university you want to apply to, start with websites like 'which? university' or go straight to setting up a UCAS account and get searching.

With the above said, you should consider very carefully who is going to pay for this. International students usually pay up around twice as much for a university course than students from the UK do. You're looking at 15,000 per year, which will vary considerably between universities. And spending that much time and money on a degree you may never actually use (which a media degree at a university with lower entry requirements is, for a great deal of people) is something you shouldn't just take off the top of your head.
    Please tell about some unis which would actually let me go in without a C in Maths

Universities here pretty much run the full range of entry requirements. Where I live the local place with less strict requirements is De Montfort University in Leicester, there is a similar one in most cities. From their website:

We normally require applicants to have a minimum of five GCSEs at grade C or above including English (in some cases English Language is required) and, where specified in individual course requirements, Mathematics.

For some courses it may be necessary for applicants to have successfully passed GCSEs in other specified subjects (e.g. Science) and/or to have passed specified GCSEs at grade B or above.
    You can tell from the bolded phrases there that I can't just give you an automatic yes/no answer. You have to talk to the people involved at these places before you apply.

You should be trying to resit your GCSE anyway though. It'll give you more options. There are professional courses that you might want to be on later in life that will require a C+ Maths grade. Not to mention that properly learning how to use proportion, data and reasoning, which is what this is all for, is going to be beneficial regardless.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 14-05-2017 at 12:33 PM.

I am giving Law AS this month so it's really difficult to resit in the Maths

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Forgive the thread hijack but this is a close enough topic to some questions I have regarding my son so I'll ask here rather than start another thread.

My young lad, currently 16 will be completing his secondary education here in Aus at the end of next year and is interested in going to college/university in the UK to study. We're just making some very early tentative enquiries at this stage and found a college close to where my brother lives that looks ideal and offers the courses my son would be interested in. The fees are pretty astronomical and probably out of reach for us so I sent them an email enquiring about the availability of scholarships. The reply I got was a little surprising........even though I explained my son would be a UK passport holder they said he would be classed as an international student and as such would be ineligible for any scholarship.

Does that sound right or have they misunderstood my sons citizenship status?
    The summer of Jimmy

JM Anderson (ENG) 7 14 236.3 72 550 39 7/42 9/73 14.10 2.32 36.3 3 0

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Forgive the thread hijack but this is a close enough topic to some questions I have regarding my son so I'll ask here rather than start another thread.

My young lad, currently 16 will be completing his secondary education here in Aus at the end of next year and is interested in going to college/university in the UK to study. We're just making some very early tentative enquiries at this stage and found a college close to where my brother lives that looks ideal and offers the courses my son would be interested in. The fees are pretty astronomical and probably out of reach for us so I sent them an email enquiring about the availability of scholarships. The reply I got was a little surprising........even though I explained my son would be a UK passport holder they said he would be classed as an international student and as such would be ineligible for any scholarship.

Does that sound right or have they misunderstood my sons citizenship status?
    Yeah, this is pretty standard I believe. A friend of mine is technically a UK citizen but had never actually lived here before coming to do her degree. She had to pay the international rates iirc.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Anyway, on the thread topic. Agree with Howe, resit the Maths GCSE until you get a C. It might be a real ballache, but it will save you all sorts of trouble later down the line.

The uni I work at doesn't exactly have the highest entry tariffs, but even in clearing we're not allowed to take on anyone who has below a C in GCSE maths.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, this is pretty standard I believe. A friend of mine is technically a UK citizen but had never actually lived here before coming to do her degree. She had to pay the international rates iirc.
    That's ridiculous. Not that 9000 per year for home students isn't ridiculous enough.

As to the OP, this isn't really the best place to ask. Check forums like the student room.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    That's ridiculous. Not that 9000 per year for home students isn't ridiculous enough.

As to the OP, this isn't really the best place to ask. Check forums like the student room.
    Yeah, I can see why it irks people, but I can also see the logic behind initiatives like this. Obviously designed to stop people trying to play the system in the same way there are measures in place to prevent benefit/health tourism etc.
    Daemon likes this.

Then that's it.Its all curtains for going to UK.Dont really want to resit once again something at which I was never good at and it could get worse as well.Mightnhave to look at other opportunities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information