Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Slow days at work..

  1. #1
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,176

    Slow days at work..

    How do you cope with these? A day where you haven't broken your head over something, or tried something out, or learned something new is a day wasted.

    These days inevitably come by from time to time. It feels glorious at the time when you pass the whole day reading stuff mindlessly on the net, but it leaves a slight guilt at the end of the day. I work in a role where there are very few "routine" sort of tasks, or interaction with colleagues, to fill the hours once my work is finished. And no one expects you to sit in office if there isn't anything to do. Sometimes you can have a week where you barely put in 20 hrs of actual work. I need to think of mini-projects to do on my own during spare time at the job, so that I can at least learn something in the process, even if it doesn't materialize into anything useful for the company. Problem is the product is so complicated and there is so little that any single person knows, that it is hard to think of something sufficiently complex, and at the same time approachable enough to do on my own without depending on anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Directly under the earth's sun....now.
    Posts
    8,962
    write a book: "Strategies and counter strategies of Kabbadi" - ahead of it's inclusion in the 2048 Olympics in Dushanbe, you'll be hailed as a hero.
    Pratters likes this.
    Parmi

  3. #3
    International Coach zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    How do you cope with these? A day where you haven't broken your head over something, or tried something out, or learned something new is a day wasted.

    These days inevitably come by from time to time. It feels glorious at the time when you pass the whole day reading stuff mindlessly on the net, but it leaves a slight guilt at the end of the day. I work in a role where there are very few "routine" sort of tasks, or interaction with colleagues, to fill the hours once my work is finished. And no one expects you to sit in office if there isn't anything to do. Sometimes you can have a week where you barely put in 20 hrs of actual work. I need to think of mini-projects to do on my own during spare time at the job, so that I can at least learn something in the process, even if it doesn't materialize into anything useful for the company. Problem is the product is so complicated and there is so little that any single person knows, that it is hard to think of something sufficiently complex, and at the same time approachable enough to do on my own without depending on anyone.
    i just browse reddit

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    25,129
    Learn the skill everyone screws their nose up at.
    vcs likes this.


  5. #5
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    27,147
    I try to clear my papers, organise a bit and plan for tasks ahead. Or, I just waste time on the net.
    vcs likes this.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    19,272
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    i just browse reddit
    Yep. It's rather surprisingly not blocked anywhere. Atleast the places I've worked so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.

  7. #7
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,176
    Nothing is blocked at my place.

  8. #8
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    14,788
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    How do you cope with these? A day where you haven't broken your head over something, or tried something out, or learned something new is a day wasted.
    Lunch drinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

  9. #9
    International Coach zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Yep. It's rather surprisingly not blocked anywhere. Atleast the places I've worked so far.
    My company blocks all major forums and game sites, but not Reddit, CW, Cricsim, Battrick or Stumped.

    Gotta love working in Hong Kong.

  10. #10
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    27,147
    Reddit is crap.

  11. #11
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Posts
    38,755
    I deal with them by not going in/going home at about 2pm.
    Pratters likes this.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A building site
    Posts
    15,948
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I deal with them by not going in/going home at about 2pm.
    ****ing academics - give it a crack in private practice and find out what a real job is like
    stphndbsn and zorax like this.

  13. #13
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Posts
    38,755
    Mug's game.

  14. #14
    International Debutant stphndbsn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    ****ing academics - give it a crack in private practice and find out what a real job is like
    After 14:00 on Friday almost home time.....
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A building site
    Posts
    15,948
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Mug's game.
    Well yes, but you can't call yourself a proper lawyer until you've made a complete **** of yourself in court at least twice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will ODI's die a slow death?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 18-07-2013, 12:45 PM
  2. Slow Over Rates
    By slugger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 24-01-2011, 08:45 PM
  3. Slow down outfields?
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
  4. Slow?
    By age_master in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •