Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Living alone v. having a flatmate

Living alone v. having a flatmate

I'm starting work soon (2 months) in Delhi and it appears that all my closest friends are either going abroad or moving to a different city so the choices I have are either to live alone or to share a 2 bedroom with a random/acquaintance. The latter will work out cheaper in a significant way even though I can certainly afford to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for myself.

I'm tempted to try out living alone for several reasons. I'd really cherish the independence regarding not coordinating meals, not feeling anti-social 'guilt'/distractions over wanting to spend a few days locked up doing **** like reading/watching TV shows to bust stress from work and generally being in greater control over my surroundings and happiness. Plus not having nonsense fights over dishes/cleanliness etc.

On the other side, it's more expensive to live alone, I would be less likely to indulge in 420 entertainment binges if I'm staying with someone and less likely to live a dysfunctional, messy cbf lifestyle and be more outgoing despite being tired from work. Basically, there will be inherent checks and balances which exist when I stay with someone, especially an acquaintance.

What are your experiences? Discuss.
    Last edited by Teja.; 11-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Kirkut likes this.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Live alone. **** other people.
    sledger, Flem274*, _Ed_ and 3 others like this.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Flatmate wins for me every time. It's just a more wholesome life.
    indiaholic likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Living with someone you already know > Living alone > Taking a chance on someone new, IMO.

You could have a short trial with someone new, but I'm assuming you'll be stuck with a flatmate for the standard 11 months, which makes it a long term commitment in hell if compatibility blows.

If you don't have an acquaintance in mind, see if you can lodge with someone who's got a short term vacancy that you can bail out of if it doesn't work out.

In my experience, the downside to starting off alone is that you get used to the freedom and it becomes tough to then go down the shared route.
    vogue likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

Evil Scotsman
    Living alone is the best. Do it unless it's prohibitively expensive.
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I'd lean towards having a flatmate, but it really depends who it is.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Get a female flatmate that has big jugs.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Get a flatmate (preferably as per flibbertyjibber's recommendations, but seeing as you're in India, that's just wishful thinking ).

I think you're young enough to need some social interaction outside work. Speaking from my experience though, the bonding/camaraderie will be nowhere near what you get with your college hostel mates. Still, I wouldn't recommend living alone just after passing out of college. Sure, the first few weekends will be blissful loneliness, but then you'll be dying just to talk to someone as you inevitably grow out of touch with your college friends, and consequently you'll probably waste too much time posting on here or doing something similarly unproductive. If you do go it alone, sign up for some other regularly scheduled activity for weekends, such as sports/music lessons or whatever else you fancy.

On the flipside, living alone means you can **** in peace whenever you like.

EDIT : that was w@nk
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Living with someone you already know > Living alone > Taking a chance on someone new, IMO.

You could have a short trial with someone new, but I'm assuming you'll be stuck with a flatmate for the standard 11 months, which makes it a long term commitment in hell if compatibility blows.

If you don't have an acquaintance in mind, see if you can lodge with someone who's got a short term vacancy that you can bail out of if it doesn't work out.

In my experience, the downside to starting off alone is that you get used to the freedom and it becomes tough to then go down the shared route.
    Quite agree with all of this especially the part in bold.

You won't even know and you'll be so used to living alone that even having a very cherished partner in your life will feel really burdensome. You will also become a little selfish probably, at least by other people's standards since you won't be used to making sure that anybody else who is around you is comfortable or not.
    G.I.Joe and Daemon like this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Dire flatmates are unbearably awful. I still remember my Lib Dem one from Reading every now and again. He really was a revolting specimen.
    NZTailender likes this.

IMO, good flatmates > living alone > bad flatmates.

There's definitely an attraction to living alone, in that you have the freedom to do what you want, don't need to worry about flatmates being messy etc, and if you're really tired after work sometimes you just can't be bothered with human interaction. But I'd still rather live with other people, because it's cheaper, better socially, and just more enjoyable. The problem is, of course, finding the right flatmates. I've generally not had great luck with randoms - barring a 3 month period or so with one group in London who were good - but I had one flat in NZ with some friends which was excellent. Especially when you're all sharing cooking and doing stuff together, it's great coming home from work or cricket practice and someone else has made dinner, or has arranged something to do in the evening. Plus, it makes you a better person to be around imo, because you have to be considerate of others and you find that even if you've had a **** day, your problems aren't the only things in the world, and you have to deal with that.

Having said that, **** flatmates really suck. I spent at least six months a couple of years ago where every day coming home from work I'd be desperately hoping no one else was home. Inconsiderate ****s are the worst.
    Howe_zat and Flem274* like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Get a female flatmate that has big jugs.
    trust our resident Yorkie to be the first to say what we are all thinking
    flibbertyjibber likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'd suggest staying alone for now, once you meet people and are able to find a potential flatmate who's a good bloke, definitely go for it.

If you happen to get a dickhead as your flatmate, home won't be a comforting place anymore. If he's a **** in one aspect you'll also probably start getting annoyed at every little thing the person does from playing audible music to leaving dishes in the sink just for half a day, just about every sign you see of him will annoy you.

You get laid more often with a good roommate via more parties, his lady friends, wingman privileges etc.
    indiaholic likes this.

Rub a quick one out before you make the decision. So your judgement won't be clouded by your penis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information