cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 408
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Jogging/running

  1. #31
    Hall of Fame Member social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I have heard this from my sister's husband too - he's a big marathon runner and runs on the roads of Dubai, and even he advices barefoot or these basic flip flops

    Problem is I am never going to make running my main sport, but I'm just doing it to build cardio for Cricket and MMA. So I do not want to go through that period of pain in order to adjust to it, as it will negatively impact the sports I do want to get good at in the meanwhile, thus defeating the purpose of going running in the first place.

    I do want to eventually run a marathon at some point tho, so I guess when that time comes I can begin by first training with unpadded shoes (or barefoot if the surfaces are good enough) in order to get the form correct and the right muscles engaged before training for the marathon itself.
    In all honesty, I am not sure about that

    A guy that I went to uni with does ultra-marathons and when I got keen, he simply said to protect myself and steered me towards certain shoes

    Running long distances hurts and has potentially long-term ramifications

  2. #32
    International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the line
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I have heard this from my sister's husband too - he's a big marathon runner and runs on the roads of Dubai, and even he advices barefoot or these basic flip flops

    Problem is I am never going to make running my main sport, but I'm just doing it to build cardio for Cricket and MMA. So I do not want to go through that period of pain in order to adjust to it, as it will negatively impact the sports I do want to get good at in the meanwhile, thus defeating the purpose of going running in the first place.

    I do want to eventually run a marathon at some point tho, so I guess when that time comes I can begin by first training with unpadded shoes (or barefoot if the surfaces are good enough) in order to get the form correct and the right muscles engaged before training for the marathon itself.
    just take it easy on the distances then. The adjustment period will be worth avoiding all sorts of other **** later in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  3. #33
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,685
    While there's no evidence that any of the high tech running shoes prevent injury, there's also no evidence that the barefoot style running prevents injury or is better long term either.

    So buy what's comfortable and is cheap.

  4. #34
    International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the line
    Posts
    10,356
    unfortunately feet don't have as much money as nike to invest in research /takedownbigshoe

    humans are the only animal to stick pieces of carpet on their feet, and funnily enough the only animals to suffer from this range of running related issues.


  5. #35
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    39,226
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    unfortunately feet don't have as much money as nike to invest in research /takedownbigshoe

    humans are the only animal to stick pieces of carpet on their feet, and funnily enough the only animals to suffer from this range of running related issues.
    that's not true at all

    "zebra steps on stone at full gallop, gets stone bruise, goes lame, bruise gets infected, zebra can barely walk and is eaten by tiger" just isn't particularly newsworthy

    that and ancient humans never had to run on roads/footpaths.
    hendrix likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  6. #36
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    that's not true at all

    "zebra steps on stone at full gallop, gets stone bruise, goes lame, bruise gets infected, zebra can barely walk and is eaten by tiger" just isn't particularly newsworthy

    that and ancient humans never had to run on roads/footpaths.
    Tigers in Africa would be newsworthy for sure.
    hendrix and Jono like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  7. #37
    International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the line
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    that's not true at all

    "zebra steps on stone at full gallop, gets stone bruise, goes lame, bruise gets infected, zebra can barely walk and is eaten by tiger" just isn't particularly newsworthy

    that and ancient humans never had to run on roads/footpaths.
    zebras have hooves last time I checked

    a large portion of the human race evolved running across tens of kilometers of concrete-like desert plain with no issues. Humans have evolved as long distance running machines and there is zero evidence that tying stylish pillows to your feet helps in any way. If you're afraid of glass and **** (which is a fair concern although I haven't yet had an issue with it despite running in the broken glass capital of NZ) then wear minimalists. Anyway what we're talking about here isn't clear causation injuries like twisting your ankle in a rabbit hole or standing on a rock but the long term chronic problems most runners today seem to have.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 06-02-2016 at 09:19 PM.

  8. #38
    Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    29,687
    The solution is to stop running.

  9. #39
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    39,226
    Ancient humans didn't have wear and tear issues because the flu or a lion got them first.

    Got no issues with running around barefoot but I'm very dubious about this big shoe conspiracy.

  10. #40
    International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the line
    Posts
    10,356
    It's not really a conspiracy. Convince people that they need to buy something which they don't need and create an market out of it. Most of the toiletries industry exists on that basis.

  11. #41
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,685
    Flem is right in calling out the appeal to nature. Just because we evolved doing something doesn't make it better.

    Albi is right that the burden of proof lies with Big Shoe to prove their claims true. Which they haven't done - there's no evidence that expensive, padded running shoes prevent injury. However, there's also no evidence that barefoot style running is any better either.

    Like I said, pick a shoe that's affordable and comfortable. Sure if you want massively developed calf muscles try out barefoot running but again, there's no evidence that it's actually better for you.
    Last edited by hendrix; 07-02-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

    - Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

  12. #42
    International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the line
    Posts
    10,356
    millions of years of evolution to perform a basic motor function essential to our survival

    vs

    20 years of an industry with a massive vested industry trying to make a buck

    But yeah I agree there's no body of evidence yet, but that's largely because the barefoot movement is only just starting to gain traction so no-one's been able to do a long term study on the effects. I'm obviously irrationally supportive of it but I'm interested to see what happens now that we've got a decent number of barefoot runners ready to provide data.

  13. #43
    International Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    5,203
    Went for a longer run last weekend, 10k in about 61mins. Pretty happy with that but had pretty sore legs for 3-5 days and struggled at training. I'm giving foam rolling a chance to see if it can help ease soreness and more I guess help undo the tightness from sitting at a desk all day.

  14. #44
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,685
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    millions of years of evolution to perform a basic motor function essential to our survival

    vs

    20 years of an industry with a massive vested industry trying to make a buck

    But yeah I agree there's no body of evidence yet, but that's largely because the barefoot movement is only just starting to gain traction so no-one's been able to do a long term study on the effects. I'm obviously irrationally supportive of it but I'm interested to see what happens now that we've got a decent number of barefoot runners ready to provide data.
    We got plenty of injuries running around on the plains of africa mate. More essential to our survival was that we developed the tools to do the job better than our bodies could. Like throwing spears. Evolution /= perfect design.

    With all of that said, I am definitely a proponent of strengthening weaknesses and the principles of barefoot running (i.e. strengthen the arches and calf muscles) makes a LOT more sense to me intuitively than something like stretching (which also has no evidence and worse, makes no sense).
    Last edited by hendrix; 07-02-2016 at 01:58 AM.
    Flem274* likes this.

  15. #45
    International Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    5,203
    And I bet when we were running such long distances we weighed about 55-65 kgs, putting less stress on our bodies.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nice Running, ****!
    By HeathDavisSpeed in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 28-08-2013, 04:01 AM
  2. Running Between The Cricket
    By Sanz in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-03-2011, 06:28 PM
  3. running
    By sasnoz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-12-2003, 02:44 PM
  4. Running ICC on XP
    By cheezypilchards in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •