Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: No income advantage to attending a sandstone uni - report

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

No income advantage to attending a sandstone uni - report

Elite Group of Eight universities outperformed on graduate earnings, says study

The report itself:

https://www.melbourneinstitute.com/d...round-2014.pdf

So, what they're really talking about is the effect on both starting and lifetime income. It's a bit annoying they only report p-values and estimates and not n's in the regression section but eh, it's not an academic report. Fairly short report and, shockingly, the Go8's have rejected it (they're right to wonder why it wasn't accepted anywhere for peer review, I guess) but worth a read with the Go8 unis salivating at increasing their tuition costs.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 15-07-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I know nothing about Australian schools. So I am just going in an ill informed manner from the gist I got from the article. If you are rating "top" universities against lower rated universities then the top universities will do better on every dimension including employment opportunities. But if you are going to start including polytechnics and those sort of schools as part of the mix then the top schools may not hold up as well. My experience of "tech" schools is that they have much higher employment rates and offer real life work experience through internships even if the students are not as smart academically which usually they aren't.

In my marketing department in Canada - I came from the top local university, about 10 people came from the top MBA program on other coast, and about 20 of them had been to the local institute of technology. And all of those 20 folks knew ten times more about marketing than I did. I had to learn everything on the job.

One of my fellow students who graduated with me was seriously contemplating enrolling to do a diploma at the tech school even though he had his piece of paper.
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    It's a bit annoying they only report p-values and estimates and not n's in the regression section but eh, it's not an academic report..
    It has been nearly 20 years since I was an analyst that did multi step regression analysis on data sets to measure market place activity. From what little my meagre middle aged brain can remember - I think reporting p values is fine as it implies that a decently sized data series was used. Otherwise there would be t stats or some other ****duddery being quoted.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Aww snap. Get rekt TC
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    As they say "if you've got nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all" :cool:

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    It has been nearly 20 years since I was an analyst that did multi step regression analysis on data sets to measure market place activity. From what little my meagre middle aged brain can remember - I think reporting p values is fine as it implies that a decently sized data series was used. Otherwise there would be t stats or some other ****duddery being quoted.
    I don't think you can conclude this from p-values.

You can also obtain p-values from the t-stat or F-stat or whichever other standardized stat you want to use.

The p-value just gives you the chances of observing something as extreme as you did
    Last edited by smalishah84; 15-07-2015 at 05:32 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    As a current student of a sandstone university: ****.
    My sworn enemy:
    I hate s smith.
    Quotes of the Year:
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    All hail KW, GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    *These quotes may read differently out of context

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Having been to both a Go8 a non Go8 uni, my own experience is that it depends on the course. I'm a big fan of saying the badge doesn't matter but I've bumped into the occasional employer who commented on the Go8 uni on my CV. Have no idea whether it made a difference in the hiring decision (I suspect not) but people do notice the uni. It's a bit silly, I had both good and bad experiences at both of them, varying levels of competence depending on topic. I don't know if this generalises but the top academics were similarly good at both but maybe the bottom rung were worse at the non-Go8 Uni. That's about as general as I can be, though.

Well, HILDA is big-ish so probably true but I just prefer seeing the size of the cells, especially with mixed models.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 15-07-2015 at 06:55 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The premise is flawed in that it implies the purpose of a university education should be to maximize future earnings by teaching as many marketable technical skills as possible. I know that's what it has become because it's now become a requirement for many jobs that (IMO) shouldn't need a college degree, but I don't think that's what the universities are designed for.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-07-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Having been to both a Go8 a non Go8 uni, my own experience is that it depends on the course. I'm a big fan of saying the badge doesn't matter but I've bumped into the occasional employer who commented on the Go8 uni on my CV. Have no idea whether it made a difference in the hiring decision (I suspect not) but people do notice the uni. It's a bit silly, I had both good and bad experiences at both of them, varying levels of competence depending on topic. I don't know if this generalises but the top academics were similarly good at both but maybe the bottom rung were worse at the non-Go8 Uni. That's about as general as I can be, though.
    The quality of education probably won't vary much. No one hires lecturers based on teaching, and the link between good research and good teaching is weak. But stronger universities attract smarter students, and the course is made tougher accordingly, so it's often more of an achievement to get a degree from the top ones.
    hendrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    Ireland on the other hand are everything that is good and just and beautiful in this world.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Is sandstone the Aussie version of redbrick

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Is sandstone the Aussie version of redbrick
    strictly speaking yes (as in reference to actual buildings), but sandstone uni is also now a reference to the highest ranked universities in Australia.

That's not the same as redbrick in the UK right?
    Last edited by Jono; 15-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The premise is flawed in that it implies the purpose of a university education should be to maximize future earnings by teaching as many marketable technical skills as possible. I know that's what it has become because it's now become a requirement for many jobs that (IMO) shouldn't need a college degree, but I don't think that's what the universities are designed for.
    Well quite. What's the mix of Science:Medicine:Engineering:Commerce:Arts:Other disciplines in the Group of 8 versus though Universities outside the Group of 8. The employment expectations certainly vary by discipline, and if the mix is skewed between the two samples then that would impact on the average salary outcome.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Elite Group of Eight universities outperformed on graduate earnings, says study

The report itself:

https://www.melbourneinstitute.com/d...round-2014.pdf

So, what they're really talking about is the effect on both starting and lifetime income. It's a bit annoying they only report p-values and estimates and not n's in the regression section but eh, it's not an academic report. Fairly short report and, shockingly, the Go8's have rejected it (they're right to wonder why it wasn't accepted anywhere for peer review, I guess) but worth a read with the Go8 unis salivating at increasing their tuition costs.
    Technically Go8 ≠ sandstone right? Because UNSW and Monash are part of the Go8 but are not deemed sandstone unis.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    strictly speaking yes (as in reference to actual buildings), but sandstone uni is also now a reference to the highest ranked universities in Australia.

That's not the same as redbrick in the UK right?
    I cbf to explain so

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_brick_university

I already read that before making my post to confirm what I thought redbrick referred to. Something you could have done with your sandstone question ya lazy bum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information