Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Will the UK's motorway system ever be anything other than a ******* building site?

International Captain

Will the UK's motorway system ever be anything other than a ******* building site?

Probably not.

cpr
    Come to Manchester, average speed camera hell ATM, upgrading to a 'smart motorway', which involves leaving it half shut at 50mph through rush hour all week, then working on it at night. all the whilst not having enough staff to actually monitor the smart camera's properly, leaving a huge backlog of speeding tickets/courses to issue.

They've also thought putting 50 signs on the M602/62 around the M60 junction, despite there being no average speed camera's on it, leading to near misses daily as some slow down, some don't (there's no need for it TBH, as the slip road and that lane is always backed up to a standstill about a mile before the speed signs anyway)

I likes smart, makes me feel all clevver.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Top of the M3 is being turned into a Smart Motorway - 20 miles of continuous roadworks. Great fun.

Meanwhile, the Wellington Urban Motorway is being turned into a Smart Motorway. About 400 yards of roadworks. Gives some perspective, I guess.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Smart/Managed Motorways popping up everywhere now. Can understand some of the places they've had them for a while, like on the M42 northbound before you get to the M6 or M6 Toll. But other places it just seems like a way to raise some indirect taxes.

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Top of the M3 is being turned into a Smart Motorway - 20 miles of continuous roadworks. Great fun.

Meanwhile, the Wellington Urban Motorway is being turned into a Smart Motorway. About 400 yards of roadworks. Gives some perspective, I guess.
    Oh yeah, I have to traverse the M3 fairly regularly. So dire.

cpr
    Theres a bit of the M60 thats permanently 50, in one direction only, because the idea of anyone going around 25 mile wide circle at 70 is just scary....

Have spent the last few weeks figuring where the average camera's are on the M60, noted if I'm going to my mates and come off the M602, I only go past one camera before I come off again. Can't really do an average of one can ya....

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Smart/Managed Motorways popping up everywhere now. Can understand some of the places they've had them for a while, like on the M42 northbound before you get to the M6 or M6 Toll. But other places it just seems like a way to raise some indirect taxes.
    I can understand people thinking this - but having been away from driving in the UK for about 5 years until recently, I reckon the smart motorways have made a huge difference and the speed cameras are an integral part of that. On the M25 from the M1 round to the M3, you used to get wankers going at 100+ and wankers going less than 70 and there were always tailbacks, accidents and the like. In the month I spent going between Essex and Hampshire recently, that section of the M25 (now a proper 'Smart Motorway') no longer had hordes of people massively exceeding the speed limit. If the limit was 70, then pretty much all the traffic was moving uniformly between 70-80 mph (excluding trucks etc.) and when the limit was 50, the traffic was by and large uniformly moving at 50mph. Must be faster than the old stop/start progression, better for the environment and a **** load better for the stress levels. I was actually really impressed, but I don't think you'd notice the difference from day to day, but over the time since I'd driven the M25, the difference was significant and stark.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can understand people thinking this - but having been away from driving in the UK for about 5 years until recently, I reckon the smart motorways have made a huge difference and the speed cameras are an integral part of that. On the M25 from the M1 round to the M3, you used to get wankers going at 100+ and wankers going less than 70 and there were always tailbacks, accidents and the like. In the month I spent going between Essex and Hampshire recently, that section of the M25 (now a proper 'Smart Motorway') no longer had hordes of people massively exceeding the speed limit. If the limit was 70, then pretty much all the traffic was moving uniformly between 70-80 mph (excluding trucks etc.) and when the limit was 50, the traffic was by and large uniformly moving at 50mph. Must be faster than the old stop/start progression, better for the environment and a **** load better for the stress levels. I was actually really impressed, but I don't think you'd notice the difference from day to day, but over the time since I'd driven the M25, the difference was significant and stark.
    Yeah I just get the feeling they are starting to put them in other places where they perhaps aren't needed

cpr
    The ones on the A roads going over the Pennines are a **** TBH. How the hell am I suppose to die in a fiery inferno if I can't speed over there ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I just get the feeling they are starting to put them in other places where they perhaps aren't needed
    It appears that I didn't read your post at all properly. How embarrassing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Omens
    Many phenomena - wars, plagues, sudden audits - have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of Man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A.
    I have not been able to experience this wonder in person but will take Pratchett's and Gaiman's word for it
    Dan likes this.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

when you're winning, you have friends
    scores and dozens, real friends
    when you're winning, never lonely
    when you keep winning

I particularly enjoy the term 'smart motorway'.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    If you want a motorway adventure, I suggest you guys drive the M8 through the centre of Glasgow. I don't really appreciate how bonkers it is because I know it like the back of my hand.
    ​63*

cpr
    Am I right in recalling that one goes something like.

'Where am I, where's it taking me, what the hell is happening, oh theres Ibrox, dammit I'm wrong side of the river now'?

If so, yep, I'm with you all the way. Up there with the Leeds inner ring road for 'Where the **** am I being taken' experiences.

Mind you I still struggle on parts of Manchesters inner ring road, which does have motorway classification in parts... Namely the part I struggle with, which is a shame as its the part near the junction for my house I always miss.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Am I right in recalling that one goes something like.

'Where am I, where's it taking me, what the hell is happening, oh theres Ibrox, dammit I'm wrong side of the river now'?

If so, yep, I'm with you all the way. Up there with the Leeds inner ring road for 'Where the **** am I being taken' experiences.

Mind you I still struggle on parts of Manchesters inner ring road, which does have motorway classification in parts... Namely the part I struggle with, which is a shame as its the part near the junction for my house I always miss.
    Yeah that Manchester ring is weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information