Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Anyone else here into meditation?

State Vice-Captain kiwiviktor81's Avatar

Anyone else here into meditation?

I do a lot of it, and find it really helpful for finding peace with everything. I have found that it has really improved my happiness and attitude to things around me. It's also good for learning the patience necessary for watching long periods of Test match cricket in which little happens.

Anyone else here like to meditate? Has it brought you good things, or scary insights?

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Have dabbled with it. My old man absolutely swears by it, and he's incredibly fit and well-adjusted for a guy in his late 60s. Reckon there's something to it for sure.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Moeen killing it. Johnson's being thrashed. Poms going wild. A lady knitting on one of the upper seats.
    http://sherwoodjam.bandcamp.com/track/tim-bresnan

~

The Cricket Web Podcast - episode 3 out now

We're on iTunes - why not give us a review?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I did as a teenager and plan to get back into it.
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    I have pretty bad anger management problems, so I do it frequently. It's great, I can never quite believe how well it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

No because meditating is a pagan ritual which I refuse to acknowledge.

Does nothing that god himself can't give you.
    Shri and ankitj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    No because meditating is a pagan ritual which I refuse to acknowledge.

Does nothing that god himself can't give you.
    There are some passages I think in the bible about Jesus meditating. I could be wrong only 90% sure.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I want to try it and borrowed a friends book about it and it sat on my shelf for months before I finally gave it back.

I should really try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    in the future where we're all social justice-y Cribb can ride down the street to pick up some raw milk from Coles on a motorised esky while smoking meth, firing an RPG into the air, and carrying the case of British-import Stella he's polygamously (and privately) married alongside a genderfluid Zambian businessperson and a coke-snorting 18-year-old cyborg girl.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I want to try it and borrowed a friends book about it and it sat on my shelf for months before I finally gave it back.
    With this attitude you're pribably going to be very good at meditating haha.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    There was a Michael Mosley doco on this recently and brain scans showed that the brain is positively transformed by mindfulness meditation in only 10 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    There are some passages I think in the bible about Jesus meditating. I could be wrong only 90% sure.
    If Jesus was an Essene it was highly likely he meditated. Also if he did go to India during his lost years chances are he became familiar with the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    If Jesus was an Essene it was highly likely he meditated. Also if he did go to India during his lost years chances are he became familiar with the practice.
    Why is it believed he went to India? I have heard that an awful lot but havn't found a particular passage to reference it.

Check this out if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roza_Bal

The belief that Jesus went to India stems, I think, from the fact that there is no Biblical record of him during his "lost years" and that he suddenly showed up in Palestine a fully enlightened man.

Moreover, many of Jesus's ideas were new to Western religious practice at the time, but not to those in the East. Concepts like "Therefore I say, if he is destroyed, he will be filled with light, but if he is divided, he will be filled with darkness." from the Gospel of Thomas can be interpreted as Jesus's experience in releasing (destroying) his own ego and thereby becoming enlightened (filled with light). This is the sort of idea that he may have picked up from the East. Eastern spiritual practice was known in the time of Jesus thanks to the conquests of Alexander, and it's possible Jesus heard about this through his connection with the Essenes and went on a pilgrimage.

All speculative, of course, like the existence of Jesus himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    Check this out if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roza_Bal

The belief that Jesus went to India stems, I think, from the fact that there is no Biblical record of him during his "lost years" and that he suddenly showed up in Palestine a fully enlightened man.

Moreover, many of Jesus's ideas were new to Western religious practice at the time, but not to those in the East. Concepts like "Therefore I say, if he is destroyed, he will be filled with light, but if he is divided, he will be filled with darkness." from the Gospel of Thomas can be interpreted as Jesus's experience in releasing (destroying) his own ego and thereby becoming enlightened (filled with light). This is the sort of idea that he may have picked up from the East. Eastern spiritual practice was known in the time of Jesus thanks to the conquests of Alexander, and it's possible Jesus heard about this through his connection with the Essenes and went on a pilgrimage.

All speculative, of course, like the existence of Jesus himself.
    There is another well quoted passage of the bible with multiple meanings

"When two people are gathered in my name all things are possible".

Some believe this to be a reference to the unification of the conscious and unconscious mind being in harmony.

Christians in my bible study take it at face value however and often reference it as a reason for us gathering together.

All for now KV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Some believe this to be a reference to the unification of the conscious and unconscious mind being in harmony.
    That's very interesting. It reminds me of the Gospel of Thomas 106: "Jesus said, "When you make the two one, you will become the sons of man..."

I took that as a reference to uniting the yin and yang or feminine and masculine principles, the harmonisation of which leads to enlightenment in the Taoist tradition. See also Thomas 114: "For every woman who will make herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven..."

None of this, of course, is solid evidence that Jesus went to India but there's a ****load of Eastern ideas in the words of Jesus. Too many to be a coincidence imo.
    Last edited by kiwiviktor81; 27-06-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Hurricane likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information