Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Aquarium Heads

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Aquarium Heads

S'goin on all

Anybody else here a secret aquarium geek too? If so lets hear about your sexy sexy setups and stocklists with accompanying photos if possible.
    Also general discussion about all facets of fish keeping is encouraged.

I know there are dedicated forums out there for this kind of stuff but I wanna bring a bit of it here.

I would post a pic of my setup but its on the other side of the world atm being horrendously neglected by my housemates.

Sean.
    Last edited by mintykip; 15-04-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Not a fan of aquariums at homes personally. Also it seems too small an area for fish to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Not a fan of aquariums at homes personally. Also it seems too small an area for fish to swim.

Sadly I do agree with you in regards to the horrible overstocking prevalent in a lot of aquariums around the world. I believe this is largely down to the perpetual crap spouted globally by a lot of pet shops in the interest of making a profit. A lot of knowledgeable independent aquarium hobby shops have made way for large corporate chain stores who’s staff have little to no knowledge on fishkeeping and therefore pass on terrible ‘advice’ to novice fish keepers entering the hobby. The result is tanks all over the place crammed full of fish because the kid behind the counter down at ‘Super Dooper PetWorld’ said as long as the fish can turn round then it’s a happy fish, which does no favours for the hobby.

However if you have a bit of brains about you, and don't listen to the idiot at PetWorld who says you can have 10 angelfish in a 30cm tank then there's no reason why you can't have a well stocked tank that doesn't appear too confined and small for the fish. It's not a cruel hobby by any means.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    I see. So what would be the right number of fish in various sized tanks?

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/s...-aquarium-fish

Generally as a rough guide its around 1cm of fish per litre as an abolute MAXIMUM, with exceptions here and there. However I like to stay under this rule as I find the smaller the size of the fish relative to the tank the better - I like my fish to have a large area to explore. Google 'neon tetras', that's the size of fish I like to keep in larger tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    That's what my tank looks like now

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    My dad had a nice big aquarium when I was young. He didn't go overboard on stocking it full of fish, and he must have done pretty well as he managed to get a Cherry Barb to last about 13-15 years in there.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    I had a mini-lobster that I kept in a fish tank once. His name was Lenny.
    NZTailender likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Back when I was 12 or so I dropped a bunch of guppies into a small 1mx1m makeshift pond where I was growing water hyacinth's for a school project, stopped feeding them and caring for the plants after a week because I was a stupid irresponsible kid. The plants grew out of control over the next few months and covered the entire surface eventually. My mum forced me to clear the mess and I fully expected to find little fish bones inside but holy ****, there were more guppies than there had been at the start.

My mum made me throw the little survivors away sadly. Broke my heart.

Thanks for reading.
    NZTailender and zorax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Back when I was 12 or so I dropped a bunch of guppies into a small 1mx1m makeshift pond where I was growing water hyacinth's for a school project, stopped feeding them and caring for the plants after a week because I was a stupid irresponsible kid. The plants grew out of control over the next few months and covered the entire surface eventually. My mum forced me to clear the mess and I fully expected to find little fish bones inside but holy ****, there were more guppies than there had been at the start.

My mum made me throw the little survivors away sadly. Broke my heart.

Thanks for reading.
    It's heart warming, against-all-odds survival stories like Daemon's that make threads like this all worthwhile. I reckon the ones you threw out survived also and now there are over a million feral guppies in your area that directly descended from your pond and now you're in **** with fisheries.

Thanks for sharing Daemon.
    zorax likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    You're welcome. I tried feeding them staples to see if I could then attract them with a magnet but they weren't having any of it. Very street smart and I'm sure they survived out there in the wide wild world beyond the little pond.
    zorax likes this.

I reckon we'll see one of those horror stories on the news soon where some old bloke went out freshwater trout fishing and was devoured from the waist down by a 6ft guppy that thrived in the river living off sewage and waste.
    zorax likes this.

International Vice-Captain zorax's Avatar
    This thread has turned out to be more entertaining that I expected.

International Vice-Captain zorax's Avatar
    We had an aquarium as a kid. Fish kept going missing tho. It took us a while to figure out that one of the fishies there apparently had a habit on snacking on the other fishies.

We got rid of the evil cannibals and go a couple of tiny turtles instead.

They were cute, till they died.

Thanks for reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information