Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: hendrix's fashion, science and jazz guitar advice for Shady Slim

hendrix's fashion, science and jazz guitar advice for Shady Slim

CWC Final 2015 Avatar Bets

So I need to know what type of clothes you like, what do you wear to work and what do wear on the weekends? After that I'll share some designers you might like to check out.

RE; science, I thought I'd share this paper by Dan Grauer, which is a criticism of the ENCODE project's findings. Quite funny.

And we'll finish with a classic:

Last edited by hendrix; 29-03-2015 at 05:59 PM.

School Boy/Girl Captain Shady Slim's Avatar
    clothing: admittedly for the clothes i wear it's a mixture of nice white shirts (polo/button-up is a non issue) and for the lower half it's either some nice jeans/dressy pants or if i'm planning to exercise tracksuit pants and a fibre-y shirt, generally it is those clothes no matter the occasion bar a quick change of clothes to nice things if having to exercise and do something on the same day - buttonup shirts have to have sleeves that can be rolles, love me some rolled sleeves

cpr
    This thread sounds like the worst music/clothing mash up the entertainment industry could ever come up with.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    clothing: admittedly for the clothes i wear it's a mixture of nice white shirts (polo/button-up is a non issue) and for the lower half it's either some nice jeans/dressy pants or if i'm planning to exercise tracksuit pants and a fibre-y shirt, generally it is those clothes no matter the occasion bar a quick change of clothes to nice things if having to exercise and do something on the same day - buttonup shirts have to have sleeves that can be rolles, love me some rolled sleeves
    fistbump on that. For now I'll introduce two designers you may or may like, and another one in a bit more of an experimental sphere.

Margeret Howell is a British designer that really excels in minimalist casualwear. She has two lines; the eponymous Margeret Howell and the slightly cheaper diffusion line, MHL; both are very high quality and are lovely to wear. It doesn't look like much in pictures but it is just really nice, simple stuff that speaks for itself. Keep in mind with market campaigns the styling choices aren't necessarily the way you're supposed to wear the stuff (e.g. I don't like the pants to be that short but that's just the way they styled it for the photoshoot). She has stockists all over the world, but not sure about Australia.

S.E.H. Kelly is another British brand that's a bit smaller and boutique-y. Again, nice, simply basic stuff with an attention to quality and detail. It's very small so the clothes are only available directly from them.

Finally, you may or may not be into this, but Aitor Throup is an experimental designer who does things a bit different. Not much of his stuff is actually available (and what is is ridiculously expensive), but he does some interesting things with clothes that are fun to think about.

Last edited by hendrix; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
    Shady Slim likes this.

cpr
    Haha, wow, I've just looked at those websites, and boy are they a rip off! Now I fully agree a good shirt should cost money, but 140 should be a very big exception, not the rule. And that was the cheapest I saw. Unless of course you're absolutely loaded, then whatever.

I spent about 7 years working in a clothes shop, both on the shop floor and as a manager, (it was pretty high end stuff, though I think its gone down hill since) and trust me when I say most designer brands are not worth it in quality or price. In fact the most oft returned stock was the more expensive (Diesel tops do not wash well, Burberry isn't far behind).The majority of this 'exclusive' designer gear is made in the same factories as the cheaper brands (ever noticed Diesel and Jack&Jones jeans are very similar....). I'm sure the professionals amongst the forum would agree if you want a good quality fitting shirt, go to a bespoke store that will measure and tailor for you. Can usually get something fantastic for about 50. Likewise for a suit. For general shirts, just go with what's nice and fits properly, I'm pretty sure few people can tell the difference between a 20 and a 100 one (though that's because most are gazing into my beautiful eyes and don't notice the rest of me until I'm already naked. I do that in public. A lot)

Jeans, just go with whatever's comfiest. I find now (maybe because I'm getting older and filling out) that a 40 pair will be comfier than a 140 pair (though I've still got some of the later that I've had for best part of a decade that still fit - or at least did 6 months ago). Again, no one really can tell the difference. Splash out a bit more on smart pants though, lest you suddenly find a cool refreshing undercarriage breeze whilst on a crowded train (I hadn't even farted....)

If there's one area worth splashing out on, its shoes. Not only will your feet thank you, but they will be noticed more. Maybe not vocally, but mentally. Without wanting to give out advice on women too much (I'm sure there's a couple of real Casanovas/Peter Stringfellows on here to do that) but I've been reliably informed by one or two women in the know that flashy clothes are ten-a-penny, but a man with true style (or money, as the rest of us call it) can be spotted by the care and investment he puts into his shoes.... And his wallet too, though no prizes for guessing how they notice that. Now these women have confided in me as a true friend, because my converse mean its going no further.
    Pratters likes this.

I agree that designer clothing is overpriced if you look at it purely from a cost of manufacturing perspective: The markups are very large.

However, keep in mind a large part of what you're paying for is the design itself. Someone has taken the time to think up and make a pattern for a particular piece.

I suppose it's similar to paying for an architect.

Anyway, the purpose of sharing information about fashion is less about purchasing (I have no idea what anyone here can afford) and more about inspiration. You can ape certain styles at any price point: It's completely up to you what you want to spend.

Finally, the last thing I want to do is promote rampant consumerism. I don't want to create an artificial desire that isn't there. I'm simply sharing some cool clothing that people may or may not enjoy.

And yeah, expensive clothing is the exception, not the rule for me (I'm not rich). It's just that it's more fun to talk about Dale Steyn than Ishant Sharma.

cpr
    Haha, fair enough, the first picture I instantly thought 'I could probably make that get up from ASDA's range'. Always pays to look good, just doesn't have to cost.

(says the man who spent said 7 years basically pumping his income back behind the till in his shop....)

That bloke in the picture looks like he lives on trains

Every time I try to not think of designer clothes as a con they don't do much to help
    You are the word, the word is 'destroy' - I break this bottle and think of you fondly

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Uniqlo/H&M is my go to for everyday clothes these days.

Uniqlo especially is great. The prices are reasonable and they don't have ****ty logos and unnecessary designs all over.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Uniqlo/H&M is my go to for everyday clothes these days.

Uniqlo especially is great. The prices are reasonable and they don't have ****ty logos and unnecessary designs all over.
    Same + some shops in India. I find the best fit for all clothes in India. Al G2000 for Shirts.

cpr
    Most of my wardrobe comes from TK Maxx nowadays. Designer clobber at pauper prices.

Uniqlo is great

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Boggi.

Just the best brand.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    I usually go for brands which I like as I know the quality. They are usually on the cheaper side though. There is one called 'Fame' here for instance which makes good stuff but at affordable prices. I have seen them grow in the last five years but they are still small. I like my specific labels and buy clothes of those most of the time. Not luxury brands. Just good ones I trust because of personal experience.

Re designer brands - went to an Armani store recently. The prices are just too high. I would rather go on a holiday than splurge on an ultra luxury brand ffs.

I love burberry though. The designs they have come up with have been amazing since their revamp.

Speaking of luxury brands, in places like Delhi it is a bit pointless. There are millions of copies there available (or factory rejects) which look exfactly the same as the original even in terms of quality. Even servants have started wearing them there as they are not very expensive. This has become a bit of a hilarious development.
    Last edited by Pratters; Today at 03:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information