Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Depression

U19 Captain

Depression

The most difficult thing to articulate.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Nate, sledger, Howe_zat and 5 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    Ireland on the other hand are everything that is good and just and beautiful in this world.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    That was amazing.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phillip 'The Prince' Hughes

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    It is a horrible and insidious condition, and traversing it is a truly harrowing experience. Uppercut's link is fantastic though.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Kills too - had to spend the day before New Years Eve in ICU at the local hospital watching a friend of mine from Uni slip away - he had depression, which led to alcoholism, which led to malnutrition which led to multiple organ failure - bloke was a couple of years younger than me yet he looked at least 90 - it wasn't tragic or horrific - just so very sad

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    part two is also amazing (OMG the corn!)
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 22-01-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: borken link
    zorax likes this.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

when you're winning, you have friends
    scores and dozens, real friends
    when you're winning, never lonely
    when you keep winning

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Fish are always deadset before the dawn

Was pretty amazing how Rick Warren responded to his son's suicide (due to mental illness). The article also touches on 'Christianity and depression' if you're at all interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Was pretty amazing how Rick Warren responded to his son's suicide (due to mental illness). The article also touches on 'Christianity and depression' if you're at all interested.
    So God isn't to blame for my son's death. My son took his own life. It was his choice.
    Depression can be so debilitating and so painful that I have my doubts that choice comes into it. If there is choice then it is so compromised as to be meaningless.
    The figures Sir Home Hordon has shown me of what Grace did in matches against me, 37 innings, 1042 runs, 28.16 average, considerably less than his general average, hears out my theory that I never had any particular difficulty in getting him out. I clean bowled him seven times, ACM Croome says that WG told him that on any wicket he never knew when I should bowl him. This may have been due in part to my artfulness......
    Fred Spofforth, 'The Demon Speaks'

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Depression can be so debilitating and so painful that I have my doubts that choice comes into it. If there is choice then it is so compromised as to be meaningless.
    I have no doubt whatsoever that in some cases this will be unquestionably true.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Psychology doesn't even have a decent definition for 'choice', let alone the cascading series of decisions which influence whatever definition of choice you care to use. And, of course, it all changes quickly when you take into account the possibility of a psychological illness such as depression. For an illness where the study of it tends to be heavily in favour of population-based methods, it has a lot of individual differences we don't (read: can't yet) allow for for. So all I'm doing is handing out sticks.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 02-03-2015 at 04:01 AM.

There's a somewhat intriguing theory that some depressions are caused or partly caused by some type of auto-immune response.

It's interesting as a lot of the cytokine profiles are similar to those seen in MS patients.

e.g. there are few of these types of meta studies around where they look at cytokine profiles and compare depression and bipolar disorder to inflammation.

If course it's all a bit simplistic when cytokines are labeled as either inflammatory or anti-inflammatory, and there's no real localisation data or anything like that and no identified mechanism, but it is a nice thought. The circumstantial evidence is that anti-inflammatory medication seems be effective in combating depression.

It is an extremely difficult thing to test though. I don't know if there's ever going to be a mouse model for bipolar disorder, for example.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Dunno if you accidentally linked to the wrong paper but that's not a meta-analysis. Was part of a special issue for that journal of psych disorders, basically a non-systematic lit review.

Interesting idea, but, and extends on the relatively new idea of simple, long-established pharmaceuticals being re-purposed (e.g. take a tablet of Aspirin every day to prevent heart attacks). Extending that into mental health is, obviously, an altogether different beast.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 02-03-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Dunno if you accidentally linked to the wrong paper but that's not a meta-analysis. Was part of a special issue for that journal of psych disorders, basically a non-systematic lit review.

Interesting idea, but, and extends on the relatively new idea of simple, long-established pharmaceuticals being re-purposed (e.g. take a tablet of Aspirin every day to prevent heart attacks). Extending that into mental health is, obviously, an altogether different beast.
    Yeah linked the wrong paper, can't find the original.

Immunology is pretty easy to make wide-sweeping theories about in that you can put all sorts of gene pathways, receptors, transcription factors, cytokines, hormones etc into different categories and then postulate some broad mechanism of action. Possibly people need to get systems biology more functional before we can get near figuring out whether these theories are even possible, let alone actually occur.

Still, they're fun to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information