Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: History thread

History thread

This is a rather hit or miss thread given how it's not a current day issue (although historians would moan and disagree)- like British politics is for example-, but a thread where people talk about history could potentially be interesting for us history buffs/nerds.

In that effort, here we are. The periods I could potentially discuss: Vietnam War, (East and West) Germany 1945-90, Soviet Invasion- modern day Afghanistan, Russia 1860- 1963, and I can also dabble with early Islamic history. If there's enough interest we could set up some sort of debate. Anyone interested?
    Last edited by andmark; 19-12-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

cpr
    Want something linked to Russia '63 from todays news?

BBC News - Profumo affair's Mandy Rice-Davies dies at the age of 70

Can't underestimate the Profumo affair, not only for its effect on MacMillans Government, but it was the turning point in the media reporting scandal - considering now they look for a story in almost everything, one may say it wasn't for the best.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

cpr
    A lot of my study tended to be around American History, always found that far more interesting than European. Strangely at school I never did any modern British History, with it all stopping after the Stuarts (though probably picked up a fair bit through reading about the Napoleonic campaigns/Wellington etc..). Found Russian history rather dull TBH. Kill a Tsar, Kill a Monk, Kill a Tsar, Kill a politician or 3, Kill 30 million, Go ice picking in Mexico.... Really not much variance until after Stalin went.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Watson to jump in with the history of religion
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

OK, let me start with some recommendation of Youtube channels:

The Presidents of United States: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Rh78U3Tzx_jsbN

Traces history of US through the tenures of all presidents of US from Washington to Obama. Shame that some of the videos have been deleted. But look around YouTube to see if someone else has posted them.

Pradhanmantri: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELYR5txmTpa_c

Very well made series on Indian history since independence. But it is only in Hindi.

World History Crash Course: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...A2E52FB1EF80C9

A series of crash courses on major events in world history. The owner of the channel makes lot of crash course videos on mainly history, but covers a few other topics too. It is all very brief though, so good only if you want a real quick flavour of a topic. The guy inserts too much humour in the crash courses which can be annoying.

Commanding Heights: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Nkgh2OzxvnupMe

A 3 part documentary tracing the evolution of economic policy making from start of 19th century to early 20th century (before the 2008 financial crisis)

---

If anyone knows any other good history channels/videos on Youtube, please share
    Last edited by ankitj; 19-12-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

BTW, why is the link title not getting retrieved automatically? I have the "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" option checked. Don't know the tags to do that.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Want something linked to Russia '63 from todays news?

BBC News - Profumo affair's Mandy Rice-Davies dies at the age of 70

Can't underestimate the Profumo affair, not only for its effect on MacMillans Government, but it was the turning point in the media reporting scandal - considering now they look for a story in almost everything, one may say it wasn't for the best.
    Sad news - if it it weren't for some US President getting shot the Profumo Affair would be the enduring story from the 60s - just Christine Keeler left now of the main members of the cast, and what a good looking woman she was in her prime

cpr
    One thing that strikes me of the whole affair - nowadays a politician gets embroiled in a scandal its a short 'apology/resignation' letter, a nice word from the PM saying they will overcome this adversity, and a place back in the cabinet within 18 months. Only interest is in saving their own careers not making amends for their actions. Compare to Profumo who accepted he embarrassed the Government and devoted the rest of his life to making a difference to his community.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    All Profumo really did wrong was to be a middle aged man who was captivated by the charms of a 19 year old beauty, a mistake that nearly all of us would make if we were honest, yet he took sackcloth and ashes for the rest of his long life

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Merge this with the official thread.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Merge this with the official thread.
    Sorry, I searched but could only find stuff on the history of cricket

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Watson to jump in with the history of religion
    There is no 'history' of religion, just unsubstantiated hear-say written down after all the protagonists were long dead. So there's no 'history' to comment on, just plain ol' mythology
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Sorry, I searched but could only find stuff on the history of cricket
    ** The Official CricketWeb History Thread **

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'll quote Marx's maxim before anyone else does:

"Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    watson, andmark, grecian and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    One thing that strikes me of the whole affair - nowadays a politician gets embroiled in a scandal its a short 'apology/resignation' letter, a nice word from the PM saying they will overcome this adversity, and a place back in the cabinet within 18 months. Only interest is in saving their own careers not making amends for their actions. Compare to Profumo who accepted he embarrassed the Government and devoted the rest of his life to making a difference to his community.
    I suppose the vital difference between Profumo and the average modern scandal is the whole involvement of Soviet spies- which of course made it a potential national security risk, and so he had to take the hit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Thanks, I would've dug up that thread if I'd been able to find it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information