6. Polly
    7. Territorial Pissings
    8. Drain You
    9. Lounge Act
    10. Stay Away
    11. On a Plain
    12. Something in the Way

Votes: 8

Very rarely do you get an album that can change the face of music. And in some ways, Nevermind did not do that - they followed the American hardcore punk/alt-rock scene that Husker Du and Pixies help create several years, as well as fellow Seattle bands such as Mother Love Bone and Melvins. Yet none of those bands had significant mainstream impact.

While Nirvana's first album won critical approval, it failed to break the Billboard charts, and the band seemed to destined to permanently remain in the Seattle underground. That was until the release of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which has probably become the defining song of the 90's.

While the song, which starts off the album has (IMO anyway) been ruined by ubiquity to some extent, the other singles still kick arse today. But it's not just the singles that are quality on this album. You have your dumb rockers (Breed, Stay Away, etc.), your ballads (Something In The Way, Polly) and some other tracks which could've worked as singles (the much under-rated Drain You and On A Plain).

And while other American alternative rock bands may have been more influential, it's safe to say that this album had a massive impact on the mainstream music scene, changing the face of music. Plenty of bands that are talked about as big names in music today likely would never have cracked hit radio if it wasn't for Nirvana - and I'm not just talking about grunge bands here - and the grunge scene will remain a interesting cultural phenomenon for as long as rock music (of any description) lives.

The only negative effect of this album is that a lot of the bands founded after Cobain killed himself indebted to grunge are pretty poor IMO. Some I quite enjoyed (Silverchair, Bush, etc.), others however even I don't like.

Write-up by morgieb
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

this is the baby from Nevermind today
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Full points for impact but I've never really liked this album
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

U19 Debutant
    and the grunge scene will remain a interesting cultural phenomenon for as long as rock music (of any description) lives.
    Not sure how you arrived at this.

Listened to this album a lot when it came out, but haven't in many years. Lithium the best track.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Drain You is my favourite. Honestly can't remember the last time I listened to this album in full as I burned it out but there was a reason why I once listened to it so much. It made my top ten.

U19 Debutant
    Too polished, this album. Steve Albini is a far better producer than Butch Vig.

Lithium was the first song they used a click track on, much to Dave Grohl's horror.

The bass tone in 'Breed' (and indeed much of the album) is ****ing amazing - I'll give it that

In fact, the drums sound pretty damn good throughout as well
    Last edited by Maximas; 01-12-2014 at 03:01 AM.

It's almost become a cliche now to say it does sound slightly over-produced, but it's still a thrilling listen. & if it got some kids turned onto Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr or Pixies, then so much the better.

My favourite songs are Polly and Something in the Way. When the sonics are stripped away one gets to appreciate just what a songwriter Cobain was. For all the no-marks who tried to rip off his guitar sound, his voice and cadence still sound unique now; it's no coincidence that is was Vedder's voice who the Scotts from Stone Temple Pilots and Creed did the Stars In Their Eyes job with.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Spectator
    ahh good that is grosssss

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    It's a brilliant album and it's success means it always belongs in lists like this. I've always been a massive Nirvana fan and I've always preferred In Utero as an album though.

Thread Information