Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vale Gough Whitlam

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Vale Gough Whitlam

It's Time.

The biggest of the big men of Australian politics has died aged 98.

Regardless of politics, no one has done more in so short a space of time to transform Australia. Universal health care, the Family Law Act, Indigenous Land Rights, Trade Practices Act, diplomatic relations with China, regional and urban development, dragging his Party out of 23 years of wilderness. Crash through or crash.

A giant of a man in every sense of the word. Devastated.
    Last edited by Burgey; 20-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Was he the chap who was dismissed by the Governor General?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Debutant
    For a self professed God his death should not prevent him from his next public engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Was he the chap who was dismissed by the Governor General?
    Yeah. Rememberance Day 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah. Rememberance Day 1975.
    Must have been one of the most significant crises of the post-colonial era. I wonder what would happen if the Governor General did something similar today?

If he dos it to the current **** I'd buy him a beer.

You know what would happen? **** all mate. Australians are so complacent it's insane. You have an unelected representative if a foreign power sack a democratically elected government, and the voters endorse it. We're a weird mob. Kerr was a **** of the highest order. When I'm not feeling so morose I'll share a story about the two of them.
    HeathDavisSpeed likes this.

Can you give me some details on Whitman the man? The internet is a bit of a mixed bag of information when it comes to him. Without actually reading real texts, it's hard to scratch through the historiography without knowing the biases of internet authors. What was his legacy and what were his biggest successes and failures in your eyes?

Giant of a man with a massive intellect and ego

Undoubtedly before his time in many aspects and made some changes that had a profound effect on Australia going forward

However, these changes came at a huge short-term cost
    Jono likes this.

He served in the Air Force in WW2. His old man was Commonwealth Solicitor General. He went to the Bar in 47 and became a QC. Entered politics for a south western Sydney seat in the early 50s. He became deputy leader under Calwell and succeeded him in 1967 (I think). Narrowly lost the 69 election (David Williamson's Don's Party was written about that night). He won in 72 and 74, was dismissed in 75 then lost the subsequent election and the next one in 77.

He was a massive man. I met him twice. Stood 6'5" or 6'6" and had an ego as big as himself. He had a rapier sharp wit to go with it. After politics he would sign his immigration departure cards and list his occupation as "Living National Treasure".

He was the first Aussie politician to really use TV and media. The It's Time campaign in 72 was pure genius.

His government was chaotic. The day after he was elected he formed a duumvirate with his deputy Lance Barnard - half of the ministries each. And they got on with it from day one. Ended our involvement in Vietnam, abolished conscription, ended te death penalty and released all draft dodgers. He said it was the est government he ever led, even though it was too large by one.

He found it pretty impossible to manage his cabinet properly and it got out of control. He brought in urban renewal - until his government there weren't even sewers on parts of western Sydney and Melbourne.

His agenda all came as a massive shock to people. Partly that was because he did so ****ing much so quickly - too quickly really, from a political POV. By 74 it was coming undone. The first oil shock saw stagflation and tough economic times. The government tried to raise finds using middle eastern oil money and it went to the ****ter in what was known as the loans affair.

People always say he did too much too soon, but they'd been out for 23 years. And he challenged the orthodoxy. Massively. They fought back.

One thing I always rembrr from
    My early childhood was my family and friends laughing at the monumental waste of money by the whitlam government in buyin a painting called Blue Poles by Jackson Pollock. They paid a couple of million for it and everyone said it was emblematic of the waste of money.

Today it hangs in the Natinal Gallery with an estimated value of over 100 mil.

I guess that was Gough. He had a long term view of things. And for all the **** he cops for the way the economy was under him, virtually his entire legacy remains in place. Australia owes him an enormous debt.

He's a hero. And to the day I die I will always hope John Kerr's death was long, slow and painful.

When he turned 80 he was asked about death and the afterlife. He said "Rest assured I shall treat him as an equal".

Fmd abc 24 interviewing Jim the Gaoler Spiegelman about him. WAC.

Only heard about the sewers this morning - in itself that is a massive legacy

Richo on 9 atm giving his thoughts - all rings true

"Mr Whitlam, what are your thoughts on abortion?"

"In your case, Comrade, it should be retrospective".

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    "Mr Whitlam, what are your thoughts on abortion?"

"In your case, Comrade, it should be retrospective".
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

This is a pretty comprehensive obituary, far better than anything I could ever write.

Gough Whitlam dead: Martyr for a moment, hero for a lifetime

One thing he said which always stuck in my mind was when some idealist was blaggardong him about not doing enough on an issue (it may have been the environment) and saying he wasn't being true to his beliefs. Gough said "The impotent are always pure". Nary a truer political word spoken. God I'll miss him.

He did so much, but I'll forever be thankful for The Racial Discrimination Act.

Huge figure in our country's history. I actually was looking up his age at work only last week and scoffed when I realised he was 98. Hadn't realised he was that old. One week later
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information