Cricket Player Manager
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Tandoori Cooking.....Anyone got experience?

  1. #1
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ***RIP THE PRINCE***
    Posts
    2,688

    Tandoori Cooking.....Anyone got experience?

    Looking for some advice and tips on cooking in a Tandoor as I built myself one a few weeks back, it's basically a terracotta pot in a dustbin......got the idea from a Jamie Oliver show http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf

    So I'm firing it up this afternoon for the second time as we have some friends staying with us and it's time to show off the culinary skills!! The first attempt a couple of weeks ago went OK but not perfect, I cooked a whole Tandoori chicken in it and it was pretty good.....almost like you'd get from an Indian restaurant. Don't think I got the thing hot enough but I reckon I've got that worked out for this attempt.

    What was a fail though and I want to try again was the Naan bread. For those that don't know you are supposed to slap your rolled out dough onto the side of the clay oven and it should stick and cook there in a matter of minutes. I couldn't get the dough to stick though and it just fell into the fire.

    This is the recipe I've used for the Naan Naan bread recipe using yeast - how to make step by step video Made it last night and it's sitting in the fridge.

    Anyone here got experience in this type of cooking? How do you get the dough to stick to the side of the oven?

    Beer, fire and food......**** I love Sundays

    If anyone's interested I'll post some pics of it later today once I've got it fired up and the chicken is cooking.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,953
    I haven't personally done it but the dough might be too soft. Maybe try it with some ghee?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Looking for some advice and tips on cooking in a Tandoor as I built myself one a few weeks back, it's basically a terracotta pot in a dustbin......got the idea from a Jamie Oliver show http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf

    So I'm firing it up this afternoon for the second time as we have some friends staying with us and it's time to show off the culinary skills!! The first attempt a couple of weeks ago went OK but not perfect, I cooked a whole Tandoori chicken in it and it was pretty good.....almost like you'd get from an Indian restaurant. Don't think I got the thing hot enough but I reckon I've got that worked out for this attempt.

    What was a fail though and I want to try again was the Naan bread. For those that don't know you are supposed to slap your rolled out dough onto the side of the clay oven and it should stick and cook there in a matter of minutes. I couldn't get the dough to stick though and it just fell into the fire.

    This is the recipe I've used for the Naan Naan bread recipe using yeast - how to make step by step video Made it last night and it's sitting in the fridge.

    Anyone here got experience in this type of cooking? How do you get the dough to stick to the side of the oven?

    Beer, fire and food......**** I love Sundays

    If anyone's interested I'll post some pics of it later today once I've got it fired up and the chicken is cooking.
    Tandoors are very common in Pakistan. A large number of households get their daily bread (naan) from there (which is a staple for lunch and dinner). I love a well baked naan myself.

    The way I see them doing is that they make the dough in the proper shape and then they have a thick cloth (almost like a cushion) over which they sprinkle a bit of water to get it wet and then put the dough over that. So the side of the dough on that cloth is somewhat moisturized. Also they only start putting the dough inside the tandoor once it gets to the right temperature. Then they put that dough on the cushion and then slap that cushion on the side of the tandoor. Then it sticks. You can see that white cushionish thing in this video very briefly at 0:47 to 0:49

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltADJfQRwtk
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  4. #4
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ***RIP THE PRINCE***
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Tandoors are very common in Pakistan. A large number of households get their daily bread (naan) from there (which is a staple for lunch and dinner). I love a well baked naan myself.

    The way I see them doing is that they make the dough in the proper shape and then they have a thick cloth (almost like a cushion) over which they sprinkle a bit of water to get it wet and then put the dough over that. So the side of the dough on that cloth is somewhat moisturized. Also they only start putting the dough inside the tandoor once it gets to the right temperature. Then they put that dough on the cushion and then slap that cushion on the side of the tandoor. Then it sticks. You can see that white cushionish thing in this video very briefly at 0:47 to 0:49

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltADJfQRwtk
    Thanks for posting that smali.

    If you look at the tandoor in that clip you can see the sides are rough. As I'm using a terracotta flower pot in mine the sides are very smooth........reckon that might be my problem.

    Last time I tried the Naans I ended up wasting all my dough, I don't want to do that again. If I can't get the first one to stick can I cook these in a conventional oven or will they be ****?


  5. #5
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    13,082
    My mum makes them in the oven, they taste fine

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Thanks for posting that smali.

    If you look at the tandoor in that clip you can see the sides are rough. As I'm using a terracotta flower pot in mine the sides are very smooth........reckon that might be my problem.

    Last time I tried the Naans I ended up wasting all my dough, I don't want to do that again. If I can't get the first one to stick can I cook these in a conventional oven or will they be ****?
    If you have tried real tandoori naans then I am sure you won't find the conventional oven baked ones anywhere near as good. They would still be OK I suppose. A lot of places offer frozen naans which you can put in the oven. They turn out ok.

  7. #7
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,849
    Friend of mine did the same and it was trial and error with heat of the tandoor/moisture content of the naan

    Combination of beer & fire meant that it took us longer to get there than it probably should but the tandoor had to be bloody hot and the naan not too moist
    Last edited by social; 19-10-2014 at 06:31 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Cooking Thread
    By James in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 27-06-2010, 05:52 AM
  2. Cooking Disasters
    By Mr Casson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:47 AM
  3. TN need Experience
    By Cloete in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •