Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Moving to America

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

Moving to America

Hi guys, I wanted to get the opinions of people who have either lived or visited the USA for a decent length of time (or who still live there). I've always been fascinated by the country and I really love it's culture (or what I know of it) but have been confused whether it is a viable place to actually live. Everything there seems much cheaper than Australia (food, cars, homes, etc) for the equivalent thing here. How is it culture wise? Economically? Lifestyle, etc? I'm interested on any comments on this topic of living there. Would you live there if you could or go back to wherever you lived (or live) before?
    Last edited by Ikki; 28-07-2014 at 03:15 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I love it - I wouldn't go back and it's great. I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else permanantly. As for culture and such, if by that you mean things like museums, restaurants, festivals, etc.....that's going to be a big city, which means more $$ - though there are many cities that are extremely cheap by Aussie standards. Don't expect to live in SF or Manhattan for cheap though.

It's hard to generalize though because it's a country of 300+ million people - what type of things are you looking for specifically and we can talk about places within it?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Terrible inequality tbh
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Think you'd like Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Move there.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

You mean Harrisburg? It's actually only a couple of hours from Philly, so it's not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I love it - I wouldn't go back and it's great. I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else permanantly. As for culture and such, if by that you mean things like museums, restaurants, festivals, etc.....that's going to be a big city, which means more $$ - though there are many cities that are extremely cheap by Aussie standards. Don't expect to live in SF or Manhattan for cheap though.

It's hard to generalize though because it's a country of 300+ million people - what type of things are you looking for specifically and we can talk about places within it?
    I mean, you tell me really. I live in Perth so I guess the California lifestyle would probably suit me more (the beaches, laid back, etc) but at the end of the day I don't mind variety. I probably wouldn't want to go somewhere where it's like cold most of the time or there are ridiculous extremes in temperature. I mean, from most of the major cities in each states, how would you compare them against each other?

It just seems to be living in Australia is becoming a bit ridiculous. Just the cost of simple stuff like homes, food or cars are like 2-4x more expensive here. And even though you get paid more here I'm not really sure it actually gives you a better quality of life.
    Last edited by Ikki; 28-07-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Banned
    I think people living in the States would be able to guide you better if you can draw up a list of things you are looking for?

There are factors that quality of life depends on

1. Crime rate
    2. Health
    3. Education
    Etc

These things matter a lot if you want to settle down in some place for the long run. Or do you just want a party lifestyle for a short period of time and then move back to Australia.

On certain parameters the Americans here can guide you to relevant cities or states

Banned
    It seems you just want to move out of Australia because it is a little expensive? Doesn't seem like a great reason if you some affordability.

If you organise this quickly, you'll be eligible for citizenship just in time to vote for Rand Paul in his 2020 re-election campaign.
    Jono, Ikki and Uppercut like this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I mean, you tell me really. I live in Perth so I guess the California lifestyle would probably suit me more (the beaches, laid back, etc) but at the end of the day I don't mind variety. I probably wouldn't want to go somewhere where it's like cold most of the time or there are ridiculous extremes in temperature. I mean, from most of the major cities in each states, how would you compare them against each other?

It just seems to be living in Australia is becoming a bit ridiculous. Just the cost of simple stuff like homes, food or cars are like 2-4x more expensive here. And even though you get paid more here I'm not really sure it actually gives you a better quality of life.
    Well California is a big big state. I mean, things are cheaper but California is expensive in the big cities - near the beaches at least. I'd think about the east coast personally . Some place around Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina if you don't want super cold stuff but you still get distinct seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think people living in the States would be able to guide you better if you can draw up a list of things you are looking for?

There are factors that quality of life depends on

1. Crime rate
    2. Health
    3. Education
    Etc

These things matter a lot if you want to settle down in some place for the long run. Or do you just want a party lifestyle for a short period of time and then move back to Australia.

On certain parameters the Americans here can guide you to relevant cities or states
    The thing is, I don't particularly mind. I've grown up moving to a lot of cities so it's hard to state a preference. Some things are universally desirable (low crime rate, decent job prospects, not too high cost of living, etc).

Personally, I'd like a place to settle down, yet it doesn't mean it has to be a retirement state or anything. Where do you live, and what are the pros and cons about that place? And, further, where else appeals to you?

Obviously, I don't plan to move somewhere without visiting it first, but I'd like to learn about these places to get an idea from people who know first hand rather than just some site.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    It seems you just want to move out of Australia because it is a little expensive? Doesn't seem like a great reason if you some affordability.
    I've always wanted to live in America, since I was little. The fact that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to live there just makes it more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If you organise this quickly, you'll be eligible for citizenship just in time to vote for Rand Paul in his 2020 re-election campaign.
    By that time I'll be too American to vote

Well California is a big big state. I mean, things are cheaper but California is expensive in the big cities - near the beaches at least. I'd think about the east coast personally . Some place around Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina if you don't want super cold stuff but you still get distinct seasons.
    Yeah, I don't really mind. I was told by a friend who lives in America that Indianapolis is a decent place to live. I Googled some of the more affluent areas (Carmel, Fishers) and the homes were wonderful and cheap. The equivalent home here in Perth would be upwards of $ 1 million (AUD) and there it was like 300-400k. Things are getting a bit ridiculous over here.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    SS, is West Virginia as nice as it's made to sound in that John Denver song?

I think of this when I think of WV

Honestly though, I've been there (to Shenandoah valley) and it's absolutely stunning!

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I think of this when I think of WV

Honestly though, I've been there (to Shenandoah valley) and it's absolutely stunning!
    Awesome. I really want to go. Just looks so nice.

What about Green Bay and Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    The thing is, I don't particularly mind. I've grown up moving to a lot of cities so it's hard to state a preference. Some things are universally desirable (low crime rate, decent job prospects, not too high cost of living, etc).

Personally, I'd like a place to settle down, yet it doesn't mean it has to be a retirement state or anything. Where do you live, and what are the pros and cons about that place? And, further, where else appeals to you?

Obviously, I don't plan to move somewhere without visiting it first, but I'd like to learn about these places to get an idea from people who know first hand rather than just some site.

I've always wanted to live in America, since I was little. The fact that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to live there just makes it more desirable.

By that time I'll be too American to vote

Yeah, I don't really mind. I was told by a friend who lives in America that Indianapolis is a decent place to live. I Googled some of the more affluent areas (Carmel, Fishers) and the homes were wonderful and cheap. The equivalent home here in Perth would be upwards of $ 1 million (AUD) and there it was like 300-400k. Things are getting a bit ridiculous over here.
    Well if you want something cheap and perhaps a state closer to your politics, think about Texas...prices are ridiculously cheap.

In any case, Indianapolis...meh. But obviously that's a personal taste. I like something where more 'stuff' happens. But that's thing - it's impossible to recommend something until we get a sense of what you like. It's a huge place. And there are hundreds of cities that are "cheap", comparatively.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information