Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Moving to America

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    All were locals with the exception of the people in DC who had been there for about a year so I assume they had some justification for it
    Yea, I'm not doubting you, but I think many people are just way more afraid of this stuff than they need to be. I live in a city with a high crime rate but you have to realize most people who are victims of violence are other gang members. I'm not saying it's safe necessarily to just walk around in every neighborhood but IMO there is no reason to be just afraid of driving through major roads.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Really, what sets Austin apart?

I don't know why but I've had the impression that Philly and DC are on hard times for anyone that isn't pretty rich and also the threat of crime is pretty high. Haven't checked any stats or anything just the impression I've gotten through hip hop lol.
    Well Austin's motto is 'Keep Austin weird'. I don't know what specific thing makes it different but it's got a great vibe and has everything you'd want. Very youngish vibe.

Also, hip hop perhaps not the best source of accurate unbiased information. DC is pretty great, and so is Philly (IMO). Those are big cities, and obviously there are areas with higher crime rates, but plenty of areas that aren't.
    Ikki likes this.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Really, what sets Austin apart?

I don't know why but I've had the impression that Philly and DC are on hard times for anyone that isn't pretty rich and also the threat of crime is pretty high. Haven't checked any stats or anything just the impression I've gotten through hip hop lol.
    Dont confuse DC with NoVa. Also, 3/4 of DC is awful and terrible. The other 1/4 is fantastic. Personally I prefer Northern Virgina to DC but living in either has you in touching distance to the other. DC has lots of no go zones. You just dont go there.
    Ikki likes this.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I've never been. But outside of Denver, if you want to go anywhere else other than highway stops and national parks - it kind of sucks, no?
    no it doesn't…

i've lived in colorado springs and then in denver for over 14 years now and absolutely love the state...denver is scenic, has all the comforts and amenities of a big city and the urban areas are pretty progressive, has a terrific airport, no significant adverse weather impacts unless you live up in the mountains…

and i forgot to add, we have pot!
    Last edited by Anil; 29-07-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    Ikki and BeeGee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Anyone know much about Phoenix?

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Anyone know much about Phoenix?
    Awful weather - crazy desert heat. Been in the news a lot with the racial profiling issue, non-white friends have told me they experienced racism though I don't know if a big city like Phoenix would be that bad.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I live in London and it's ****. The rent I pay on my flat is crazy.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I live in London and it's ****. The rent I pay on my flat is crazy.
    Well that rules London, USA out for Ikki then
    Jono and smalishah84 like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    You mean Harrisburg? It's actually only a couple of hours from Philly, so it's not too bad
    I meant Three Mile Island

I think of this when I think of WV

Honestly though, I've been there (to Shenandoah valley) and it's absolutely stunning!
    Lots of inbreds up there aren't there?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    By the time I get to Phoenix
    She'll be rising
    She'll find the note I left her by her bed....

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Perth seemed quite reasonable compared to London when I was there, but then London is its own class of ridiculous.
    Yep but you cop the London high cost because of other benefits such as the ability to travel to other places (in England and rest of Europe) conveniently and (fairly) cheap, and that there is a ****load to do and see in the city itself.

Perth you pay high costs simply because people around you are (or were) making big dollars digging **** up. Most people I know from Perth speak highly of it and whilst they have moved, they say they will return to raise their family or settle down etc. But whatever way you spin it Perth is extremely isolated which makes the high cost of living rough to cop.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Yeah Perth was nice and all (was only there for 4 months) but I know where I would rather live.

I love London and by living right on the edge of it (but with good transport links) we can just about afford to live there.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I love how this thread has basically descended into stereotypes about Americans.

I saw a mention of Seattle and I would like to point out that I've never really heard anything bad about that city from people that have actually been there. I hear it's lovely.

Anyway, I live in Chicago area, and the only reason I would recommend it is because it is probably at the least amount of risk as far as natural disasters are concerned. That's about our only upside.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I love how this thread has basically descended into stereotypes about Americans.
    Presume this is aimed at least partly at my comments on Phoenix. Have to say, when your Asian wife is subject to racial abuse while visiting there, it tends to colour your judgement.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yep but you cop the London high cost because of other benefits such as the ability to travel to other places (in England and rest of Europe) conveniently and (fairly) cheap, and that there is a ****load to do and see in the city itself.

Perth you pay high costs simply because people around you are (or were) making big dollars digging **** up. Most people I know from Perth speak highly of it and whilst they have moved, they say they will return to raise their family or settle down etc. But whatever way you spin it Perth is extremely isolated which makes the high cost of living rough to cop.
    Overall I really like Perth. It's a great place IMO to raise your family and it's growing. I guess once you're here long enough the isolation isn't much of a problem; you can fly east or go north and holiday in Asia/Europe. It's just getting out of hand to live here unless you had been well settled before the mining booms and such. The cost of everything is premium (food, cars, home) in even places 30-40 mins from the actual city...and we're not talking about a City like Sydney here. Unless you're in a few select industries which pay really well; it just doesn't add up.
    ★★★★★

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information