Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Moving to America

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    By that time I'll be too American to vote

If you live in America for five years and then don't vote I will hunt you down. I don't even mind whether you vote LP or GOP but you've gotta vote.
    Ikki likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Awesome. I really want to go. Just looks so nice.

What about Green Bay and Seattle?
    Haven't been to either. One is too cold, and the other too rainy (and a bit expensive). I am not a fan of the west coast in general though - things are just too far apart from each other. I prefer the East Coast where you have the whole Boston-NY-Philly-DC corridor, which is pretty fantastic (for me personally).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haven't been to either. One is too cold, and the other too rainy (and a bit expensive). I am not a fan of the west coast in general though - things are just too far apart from each other. I prefer the East Coast where you have the whole Boston-NY-Philly-DC corridor, which is pretty fantastic (for me personally).
    Fair dos. I'm don't really have a concrete interest in visiting either of them, but they just pique my curiosity for some reason.

A trip to West Virginia is definitely going to happen at some point though.

Those are dead set weird places to be that curious about. I mean, Seattle I guess, I understand (though not really - it's a bit nondescript...) but Green Bay? I mean, might as well live in Barrow, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

If you live in America for five years and then don't vote I will hunt you down. I don't even mind whether you vote LP or GOP but you've gotta vote.
    Hence he should move to Texas where it won't matter . So it has to be either Texas or Massachusetts...

Those are dead set weird places to be that curious about. I mean, Seattle I guess, I understand (though not really - it's a bit nondescript...) but Green Bay? I mean, might as well live in Barrow, Alaska.
    I am also curious about Barrow tbh. And Yellowknife.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Well if you want something cheap and perhaps a state closer to your politics, think about Texas...prices are ridiculously cheap.

In any case, Indianapolis...meh. But obviously that's a personal taste. I like something where more 'stuff' happens. But that's thing - it's impossible to recommend something until we get a sense of what you like. It's a huge place. And there are hundreds of cities that are "cheap", comparatively.
    I like a youngish vibe to a place, but I also like history. I like a fast paced kind of city, yet I also like laid back. I mean, I find it hard to whittle it down since I have a pretty eclectic taste to most things and I'm open-minded. I'd rather hear about places that you like and your reasons for liking them.

A family friend had told me about Texas before, how is Houston?

What do you like about that East Coast part? Especially Boston?
    Last edited by Ikki; 28-07-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Haven't been to either. One is too cold, and the other too rainy (and a bit expensive).
    Seattle actually ranks 44th among major US cities in average annual rainfall, so it doesn't actually rain that much. It's cloud, not rain, that Seattle suffers from. The cloud struggles to get over the ranges to the east, and sorta just engulfs the city.

Anyways, I was there for a week and it was bright sunshine for all but one day.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    awta from my trip there
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I like a youngish vibe to a place, but I also like history. I like a fast paced kind of city, yet I also like laid back. I mean, I find it hard to whittle it down since I have a pretty eclectic taste to most things and I'm open-minded. I'd rather hear about places that you like and your reasons for liking them.

Houston is one of the few cities in the US that I actually did get to visit. Houston would be too desi for your taste I reckon. Very multicultural sure but it really isn't anything to write home about IMO.

Going by what you say you might like DC. It has good history, decent paced, and I am sure that you should be able to find decent housing in the Metro Area. I have only ever been in the US for a few months in total so I guess more detailed accounts can be given by NP10, Fusion, or SS.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

School Boy/Girl Captain auditor's Avatar
    I have heard that in America banned bookmakers.
    Do not need to go there.
    Otherwise, you can not receive additional income from cricket.

In Soviet Russia, multi makes you.

i was unaware lou vincent is russian
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Im a US citizen, I have a home there and I am very happy with my life and the opportunities given to me in America - but I found it a difficult place to live at times. I can maybe attribute that to the two things I look for the most (competitive amateur adult sports and a social pub culture) are not done particularly well in the US. It isnt bad or hard to live there but I have found other places more accessible on a social level. Of the places I have lived in the US then I would recommend Northern Virginia - young, professional, close to DC and the countryside. Actually, I fully endorse Northern Virgina/Metro DC area. I have had great times living there.

To be balanced though, as James T. Farrell said "America is so vast that almost everything said about it is likely to be true, and the opposite is probably equally true." America is its own world and there is much as much to love as there is for outsiders to point at and sneer. You will always be able to find people who share your passions and interests no matter what they are - I did though it was harder to do so than some other places elsewhere.

Just a cultural observation, primarily about the middle-class, they tend to be more reserved and less open than Australians, Brits, Kiwis etc. It isnt a bad thing but it takes time for them to let their guard down and you have to build relationships.

I know a number of Australians in the US. They all have very good lifestyles - America can give you that in spades. Im not convinced they would all say they were happy though. Whether that says more about them or America? I dont know
    Last edited by Goughy; 28-07-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Ikki likes this.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

What do you like about that East Coast part? Especially Boston?
    Houston is a wasteland. Austin is one of the best cities in the country through. Boston, I would say, is my least favorite city on the east coast, but the great thing about the entire corridor is that you are able to do whatever you want to do within a very short distance. From outdoors and national parks, to city life and everything it has to offer. Unlike out west, you don't have to drive 16 hours to do it.

As soon as you said "eclectic", I immediately thought of Austin. The only problem is that it's surrounded by the rest of Texas. Which you may actually like. Austin is a bit of an anomaly in Texas - the rest of Texas calls it the "The People's Republic of Austin"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information