Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Children of Gaza

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Children of Gaza

Some terrible stuff going on in Gaza. A very heart wrenching video.

I would hazard a guess and say that the severity of Israel's response was due in part to Hamas' Qassam Brigades targeting the Nuclear Reactor at Negiv City with M-75 rockets. It is true that the Israeli's do have a shield in place called 'Iron Dome', but by the same token any anti-missile system cannot be perfect.

Hamas: We attempted to hit the nuclear reactor in Dimona | JPost | Israel News

I'm not an expert but I imagine that a direct hit by a rocket on a Nuclear Reactor has the potential to be catastrophic to the entire region - hence the added angst.

Unfortunately, the Gaza Strip is one of the most densely populated areas of land on the planet with more than 13,000 people packed in per square mile. It also has one of fastest growing birth rates in the world giving a median age of just 18 for its 1.8 million inhabitants.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gz.html

Consequently the odds of children being killed by Israeli retaliation are great, and tragedy is pretty much unavoidable whichever way you look at it. But an exploding Nuclear Reactor would not be good either.
    Last edited by watson; 27-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    FAVOURITE: 1. Barry Richards - 2. Victor Trumper - 3. Rohan Kanhai - 4. Brian Lara - 5. Garry Sobers - 6. Frank Woolley - 7. Alan Knott - 8. Maurice Tate - 9. Dennis Lillee - 10. Sydney Barnes - 11. Colin 'Charlie' Blythe

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Both sides should be ashamed of themselves and need their ****ing heads banged together - not since the troubles in Ireland have I had zero sympathy whatsoever with either party to a conflict

You have no sympathy for the children - who make up the majority of the deaths in the conflict?
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It's the ideologies involved that I have no sympathy for - all deaths in war are tragic, particularly to non-combatants
    watson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I would hazard a guess and say that the severity of Israel's response was due in part to Hamas' Qassam Brigades targeting the Nuclear Reactor at Negiv City with M-75 rockets. It is true that the Israeli's do have a shield in place called 'Iron Dome', but by the same token any anti-missile system cannot be perfect.

Hamas: We attempted to hit the nuclear reactor in Dimona | JPost | Israel News

I'm not an expert but I imagine that a direct hit by a rocket on a Nuclear Reactor has the potential to be catastrophic to the entire region - hence the added angst.

Unfortunately, the Gaza Strip is one of the most densely populated areas of land on the planet with more than 13,000 people packed in per square mile. It also has one of fastest growing birth rates in the world giving a median age of just 18 for its 1.8 million inhabitants.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gz.html

Consequently the odds of children being killed by Israeli retaliation are great, and tragedy is pretty much unavoidable whichever way you look at it. But an exploding Nuclear Reactor would not be good either.
    That's a weird thing. If a nuclear reactor was to get hit, it'd obviously cause hundreds of deaths plus deformities, disabilities etc for generations probably (and I too am no expert) for a matter of generations. Furthermore, with Hamas themselves saying they targeted the nuclear station means we can't just say "oh Israel don't allow statehood and so Hamas can't control all the people who did it". Thus they also are directly targeting civilians. Equally aiming at Ben Gurion airport where apassenger civilian planes go doesn't help. But yeah, it goes without saying the Israeli reaction has been disproportionate.
    Last edited by andmark; 27-07-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    What would be a proportionate reaction? Should they base it on the missiles that hit or the missiles they fire? Should they wait for one death and then decide to kill exactly that amount?

I am not taking Israel's side here - I can't imagine how hard it is to grow up in Gaza - being locked in by both Egypt (people forget the Egyptian blockade of Gaza) and Israel so I can totally see why they are angry and frustrated. But Israel isn't going anywhere and neither are these people. And it's all complicated by religion and ethnicity and culture...so yeah..I have no idea what the right answer is. I guess the first step would be to accept the other party's right to exist...which hasn't been the case. You have to deal in realities, nobody is going anywhere.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-07-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    You have no sympathy for the children - who make up the majority of the deaths in the conflict?
    I have sympathy for them being used by Hamas for propaganda purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Yeah I got that feeling, you could equally show Israeli children who've been hit by Hamas rockets (albeit lower in number) over the years.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Using children as human shields is a lie. It is one of the most densely packed place on the planet and the majority of the population is under 18, so children will be targeted if no matter what bull**** reason Israel gives.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't think that's what they are saying AN?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Using children as human shields is a lie. It is one of the most densely packed place on the planet and the majority of the population is under 18, so children will be targeted if no matter what bull**** reason Israel gives.
    They don't mean it literally. The suggestion is that Hamas know that if they constantly fire rockets indiscriminately into Israel then there'll be a response in which lots of Gazan children will die. But they're fine with that, because it's good for propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    Ireland on the other hand are everything that is good and just and beautiful in this world.

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Omg

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    That Hamas propaganda mission where Israel bombed hospitals and UN schools was particularly bad.

There will be an interesting interview on American TV tonight with the Hamas leader Mashaal. It seems that he will be affirming his opposition to the State of Israel despite quite liking Jews. What this means is that the so-called 'Two State Solution' is pretty much lying dead in the water - again.

Mashaal: Hamas is ready to coexist with Jews, but not the occupation

An excerpt of an interview between CBS's Charlie Rose and Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal for the network's hit show Face the Nation has been released leading up to the interview's airing on Monday night in the US.

In the clip, Mashaal tells Charlie Rose that the Palestinian people are ready to coexist with Jews and with many other religions too, but just not with the Israeli "occupation."

"I'm ready to coexist with the Jews, with the Christians and with the Arabs and non-Arabs and with those who agree with my ideas and those who disagree with them. However, I do not coexist with the occupiers, with the settlers," Mashaal said in response to a question asked by Rose.

Mashaal also blamed Israel for the latest round of peace talks collapsing in April.

"Mr. Kerry months ago tried to find a window through the negotiations in order to meet our target, to live without occupation, to reach our state. Netanyahu has killed our hope or killed our dream. And he killed the American initiative," Mashaal said.

The leader also stressed that the Palestinian people simply want to live in a Palestinian state.

"...We are not fanatics. We are not fundamentalists. We do not actually fight the Jews because they are Jews, per se. We do not fight any other races. We fight the occupiers," he said.

Mashaal: Hamas is ready to coexist with Jews, but not the occupation | JPost | Israel News
    Last edited by watson; 28-07-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information