Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Cannot believe that some people still judge someone by their sexual preference

Cannot believe that some people still judge someone by their sexual preference

Just watching the Thorpe interview and it's ridiculous that people in the western world are made to feel ashamed of their sexual preferences in 2014

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Sadly I think most people do, and even those that don't tend to think along "more hot totty for the rest of us" lines, which isn't really any better

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Who cares, no shock anyway after years of rumours. Does it matter either way?

Still a great sportsman, does his sexual preference mean he is less of a great sportsman? Not in my eyes.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    This is Ian Thorpe, right?

It's always been pretty obvious which side his bread was buttered on.

Great swimmer; good bloke. Move on.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Just hope he can find some peace now and can live a life that isn't on global display.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

It is of course terrible that people are made to feel ashamed of their sexuality, but it's hardly surprising they do when making a related announcement is treated as news and put on the front page of every newspaper and website in the Western world.

I'd probably feel uncomfortable about going to the corner shop every day to buy a bottle of milk if it was treated like an event of significant importance by every media outlet going.

As Brumby astutely put it: great athlete, top chap, but this isn't a story.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Saw a similar line of argument on facebook about it not being newsworthy and the media making a big deal of it and this was what I posted

Depends. Despite nearly everyone paying lip service to equality in public, a lot of people are quietly homophobic and will turn their noses up at or make crap jokes about people like Thorpe. It's not really the media at fault here but people in general.

If Thorpe coming out with his story helps some kid see he or she is normal and is another nail in the coffin for the homophobes, then this is a good thing.

I think you're right in that people are far too interested in who is banging who and with what bits, especially if they might be used in a gay way, but our society isn't in a place yet where the good guys can treat someone coming out as a non-event because there are still plenty of douchebags out there waiting to tear someone down in the name of God or cooties or being a dick.
    Being gay is still a thing and it still has a stigma, not because of the media but because of people.
    hendrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Being gay is still a thing and it still has a stigma, not because of the media but because of people.
    This is not a useful distinction though. The media is not this thing that exists out there in the ether, independent of human input.
    Prince EWS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This is not a useful distinction though. The media is not this thing that exists out there in the ether, independent of human input.
    This is true but that surley that backs up the point that is being made?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    It is of course terrible that people are made to feel ashamed of their sexuality, but it's hardly surprising they do when making a related announcement is treated as news and put on the front page of every newspaper and website in the Western world.

I'd probably feel uncomfortable about going to the corner shop every day to buy a bottle of milk if it was treated like an event of significant importance by every media outlet going.
    im pretty sure this isnt why LBGT keep it hidden inside
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    You're right, and that's my point. They report what people are interested in or what they think people should be interested in.

Whether they're doing this for good reasons or to be ****s is open to interpretation and will vary depending on the leanings of the media outlet.

Considering his widely publicised struggles with denial, and that he decided to come out on a talk show, I don't see an issue with the media picking the story up. Their angle is a different matter.

Ideally this wouldn't be news but it is, and it's news because enough people are interested.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 13-07-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    you guys might be shocked to learn this, but not a lot of australian male sporting legends are openly gay. so if you are a young male athlete who is gay this is probably interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ideally this wouldn't be news but it is, and it's news because enough people are interested.
    Yeah, this is fair enough. It's the fact that people are interested in this sort of thing that I was complaining about really.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Tom Ballard (Aussie comedian/former Triple J radio host who's gay) wrote this article today that is incredibly relevant to this conversation.

For those who've heard this news and shrug and casually asks "who cares?", I'd simply answer "15-year-old closeted me". Scared, little, questioning Tom Ballard would have cared a lot if nine years ago he'd seen swimming champion and national treasure Ian Thorpe on the news, proudly identifying as a successful sportsman and a bloke who liked blokes.

And I'm sure there will be thousands of questioning kids tuning in to the interview who will care just as much and who might find themselves a new gay role model.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    you guys might be shocked to learn this, but not a lot of australian male sporting legends are openly gay. so if you are a young male athlete who is gay this is probably interesting
    Ian Roberts '95 should have put an end to it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information