Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Mosul falls

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Mosul falls

Mosul in Iraq has fallen to the extremists. What a waste this Iraq war has been, hundreds of thousands dead and it's gotten worse. What was the point.

The good old US did the same thing in Afghanistan when they left the country to the Mujahiddin after the Soviets left.

Iraq city of Mosul falls into hands of ISIS jihadists after police, army abandon posts - CBS News

America really needs to change it's policy to fight against the extremists and not hand over land to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    So, what's your solution to this AN? Obviously instead of turning back the clock and doing things differently in the first place. What can be done now? What should be done now?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    So, what's your solution to this AN? Obviously instead of turning back the clock and doing things differently in the first place. What can be done now? What should be done now?
    This ought to be good.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    If the entire Midde East were to embrace atheism and then convert every Synagogue, Church, and Mosque into a Museum then the problem would be solved I think. And while that's happening the Old City of Jerusalem should be handed over to the UN who would then administer it as a space that is both Secular and Stateless.

That should kick the thread along.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    AN why do you think the us invade iraq in the first place?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    If the entire Midde East were to embrace atheism and then convert every Synagogue, Church, and Mosque into a Museum then the problem would be solved I think. And while that's happening the Old City of Jerusalem should be handed over to the UN who would then administer it as a space that is both Secular and Stateless.

That should kick the thread along.
    So more troops committed there?

Will you be happy for Australian troops to be sent over and fight the war against religion?

I don't know Heath, can the situation be recovered?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post

I don't know Heath, can the situation be recovered?
    Well, this is the rub isn't it. I look at this and wonder what the hell can be done to 'fix' the problem. "The West" clearly haven't "succeeded" by pouring troops and resources into Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan etc. so I doubt pouring more troops and resources will do the trick. Doing nothing risks "anarchy" or at least increased risk over a wider area so is hardly an ideal solution. I haven't got a scooby.

jan
    Mosul is the second largest city in the country iirc. If they manage to keep Mosul under long-term control then Baghdad is only matter of time.

I mean after two wars with rather mixed results they might want to solve the **** themselves...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, any fastbowler's bunny, grainy low-res streams watcher

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Can't really see how any further intervention would make things any better tbh, the US only have themselves to blame in the rise of ISIS
    Last edited by ohnoitsyou; 11-06-2014 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Mosul in Iraq has fallen to the extremists. What a waste this Iraq war has been, hundreds of thousands dead and it's gotten worse. What was the point.

The good old US did the same thing in Afghanistan when they left the country to the Mujahiddin after the Soviets left.
    Relatively speaking, of course, but quite a few of the Mujahiddin weren't that bad. In fact, most of them were all right. Even the Soviets weren't all that bad.

It's the Taliban that were the major ****s. Some of whom were Mujahiddin, yes, but as a faction they sorta mysteriously appeared out of nothing in the 90s...

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    No.

while religion is obviously an additional problem here because it lets people justify **** easier, you still have people who believe that their land is occupied.

With the Soviets leaving and the US thinking it's over and withdrawing support, a power Vacuum was created for the Talibs to take over. Maybe if the US actually funded and supported the right group back then instead of leaving Afghanistan to rot, things would have been different.

Why was Afghanistan left as it is but South Korea developed?

Afterall the Afghans did for the US - fighting their proxy war against the Soviets.
    andmark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Well, this is the rub isn't it. I look at this and wonder what the hell can be done to 'fix' the problem. "The West" clearly haven't "succeeded" by pouring troops and resources into Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan etc. so I doubt pouring more troops and resources will do the trick. Doing nothing risks "anarchy" or at least increased risk over a wider area so is hardly an ideal solution. I haven't got a scooby.
    The US succeeded in both its objectives. That is, to destroy the regime of Saddam Hussein and to cripple Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

What remains to be seen is whether the regimes that eventually fill the two voids end up being more destructive than their predecessors. Personally, I don't how any replacement can possibly be worse than either the regime of Saddam Hussein or Al-Qaeda, so in that regard the US has succeeded more than it has failed.

What is clear is that Western governments will continue to fight either 'hot' or 'cold' wars against Islam inspired regimes and terrorist groups for a long time to come. Maybe the next 100 years or so? The reason that the war will be so long is that Islam is not a monolith like Japan in the 1940s, but rather a diaspora made up of many different competing factions and ideologies - chop off one head of the hydra and another one grows back. But chop them off we must as there is simply no choice in the matter.

Where does Atheism come in? Well it is the only ideology capable of competing with the ideology of Islam because it is equally uncompromising. If Islam says that "There is no God except Allah" then Atheism says back "There is no God".

Christianity is effectively useless as a competing ideology as its arguments are so tenuous and accomodating. Also, and importantly, Christianity cannot really demand that society be Secular because that would be an act of hypocrisy if you think about it. However, Atheism and Secularism go hand-in-hand, and are entirely consistent with eachother. Atheism and its ideological cousins such as Humanism demand that Monotheism be kept separate from all forms of government and its domains.
    Last edited by watson; 11-06-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Your ideas on religion are incredibly ignorant.

Try meeting Christian people from Asian countries and you'll see that they're far more uncompromising than most Muslims. Christianity is just as inherently secular as Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Your ideas on religion are incredibly ignorant.

Try meeting Christian people from Asian countries and you'll see that they're far more uncompromising than most Muslims. Christianity is just as inherently secular as Islam.
    Total nonsense. Who are you trying to kid?

Atheism is an ideology now is it?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information